Last updated May 4, 2020
Alaska LLC Business License
How to form an LLC in Alaska
This Quick Start Guide is a brief overview of how to form an LLC in Alaska.
Alaska LLC Costs:
Alaska LLC filing fee: $250 (one-time fee)
Alaska LLC initial report fee: $0
Alaska LLC biennial report fee: $100 (every 2 years)
★ Check out Northwest vs LegalZoom
Alaska LLC Business License (required)
A mandatory requirement in Alaska: after your LLC is approved, you must obtain a Business License
You need to get your Business License before you conduct any business.
You can obtain your Business License online or by mail.
- Online: $50 fee for immediate approval.
- By mail: $50 fee for 10-15 days approval.
We recommend filing online as it’s much faster and SO much easier.
How to get an Alaska Business License online
1. Enter the name of your Alaska LLC, including the abbreviation “LLC” or “L.L.C.”
2. Select your Primary Line of Business from the drop down. If you can’t find an exact match to what you do, select the closest option.
3. Select your Primary NAICS Code from the drop down. Again, if you can’t find an exact match to what you do, select the closest option.
Optional: Select your Secondary Line of Business and Secondary NAICS Code (if you are in two industries).
4. Enter your mailing address, physical address (if different than mailing address), and phone number.
5. Under Ownership Type, select “Corporation, LLC, LLP, LP, etc.”
6. Enter your Entity Number and click “Validate”. Your Entity Number can be found by searching for your LLC name here:
Alaska Division of Corporations: Search Corporations Database
Need help?: If you are having trouble locating your Entity Number, call the Corporations Section at 907-465-2550.
7. Enter your full name and then your title. You can use “Member” as your title.
8. Select a one-year ($50) or two-year ($100) purchase and then click “Proceed to Payment”.
9. Enter your billing information, your email address, and then click “Continue” to make payment.
How to get an Alaska Business License by mail
Download the new application form:
New Business License Application (Form 08-4181)
Mail your New Business License Application with your check or money order (for $50, made payable to the “State of Alaska”) to:
Business Licensing Section
State Office Building
333 Willoughby Avenue, 9th Floor
PO Box 110806
Juneau, AK 99811-0806
Detailed instructions are included inside the PDF link above.
If you have any questions, you can contact the Alaska Business Licensing Department at 907-465-2550.
How to obtain a copy of your Business License?
Get a copy of your Business License online:
Visit the Alaska Division of Business Licensing: Search Business Licenses page:
- Search by your business name or license number
- Click the license number to the left of your business name
- Click the “Print Business License” link
Get a copy of your Business License by mail:
File a “Request for Duplicate Business License” and pay a $5 fee.
You can download the form here:
Business License: Certificate Copy Request (Form 08-4080)
When does an Alaska Business License expire?
If you get your Alaska Business License before October 1, it will expire on December 31 of that same year.
If you get your Alaska Business License after October 1, it will expire on December 31 of the following year.
- If a Business License was obtained on September 15, 2023, it will expire on December 31, 2023.
- If a Business License was obtained on October 15, 2023, it will expire on December 31, 2024.
Renew your Business License
Your Business License must be renewed every 1 or 2 years (depending on your initial application):
- The one-year renewal fee is $50
- The two-year renewal fee is $100
You can renew your license by mail or online. It is much easier (and faster) to renew your license online instead of filing by mail.
Renew by mail:
Business License Renewal Application (Form 08-4617)
Business License exemptions
You don’t have to get an Alaska Business License if your business engages in any of the following:
- liquor sales
- investment club
For more information:
– please see Business Licensing Division: Business Licensing FAQs
– look for the word “exemptions”
Alaska Business Licenses contact information
Alaska Division of Business Licensing: Contact information
If you have any questions for the Division of Business Licensing, you can reach them via the main phone number at 907-465-2550.
However, they prefer that you send an email to:
What other licenses and permits are required?
Besides the primary business license mentioned above (which the State of Alaska offers clear instructions on), you may have additional federal, state, and local government license/permit requirements you must meet.
Unfortunately the instructions and guidance at this point are not as clear as the primary business license above, as your requirements are determined by the industry you are in and where your business is located.
Types of licenses you may need in Alaska
Below are some license and permits examples:
- Seller/reseller permit
- Building permit
- Health permit
- Signage permit
- Home occupation permit
- Zoning and land use permits
- Withholding taxes (if you have employees)
Industries that are more regulated have more requirements.
Do it yourself in Alaska
Below are some resources for determining your additional Alaska license and permit requirements yourself:
Local Borough Requirements
You’ll need to contact the borough where your LLC is located to obtain the requirements.
- Aleutians East Borough
- Bristol Bay Borough
- Denali Borough
- Fairbanks North Star Borough
- Haines Borough
- Kenai Peninsula Borough
- Ketchikan Gateway Borough
- Kodiak Island Borough
- Lake and Peninsula Borough
- Matanuska-Susitna Borough
- North Slope Borough
- Northwest Arctic Borough
- Unorganized Borough
- Yakutat City and Borough
Alaska Division of Business Licensing
Alaska Statutes: Chapter 70 – Alaska Business License Act
Alaska Division of Business Licensing: Business Licensing FAQs
Alaska Division of Business Licensing: How to Get Licensed