How to file an Annual Report
for your Idaho LLC
Quick Start Guide
This Quick Start Guide is a brief overview of how to form an LLC in Idaho.
Idaho LLC Costs:
Idaho LLC formation: $100
Idaho LLC annual report: $0
(check out Northwest vs LegalZoom)
Every LLC in Idaho is required to file an Annual Report each year.
The fee is $0, but an informational report still must be filed in order to keep your LLC in good standing with the Idaho Secretary of State.
In late 2018, the Idaho Secretary of State issued an update on LLC Annual Reports. The online filing process has been completely revamped. And postcard reminders will no longer be used:
Idaho LLC Annual Report fee
There is no fee ($0) to file an Annual Report for your Idaho LLC.
Preferred method of filing
The Idaho Secretary of State prefers that you file your LLC Annual Report online via SOSBiz. We also recommend this method as it’s the easiest to complete.
What’s the purpose of the Annual Report?
The purpose of the Idaho Annual Report is to keep your LLC’s contact information up to date with the Secretary of State.
When is my Idaho LLC Annual Report due?
Your LLC Annual Report is due every year by the end of your LLC’s anniversary month.
Your first Annual Report is due the year after your LLC is formed.
Your LLC’s anniversary month is the month it was approved by the state (your “filing date”). You can find your LLC’s approval date by:
- looking at your approved Certificate of Organization or
- by doing an LLC business search and looking for your “Filing Date”
For example, if your LLC was approved on March 20th, 2019:
- March is your anniversary month
- your Annual Report is due by March 31st each year
- your first Annual Report is due by March 31st, 2020
- then it’s due by March 31st every year going forward
Is there a penalty if I don’t file an LLC Annual Report?
Yes, if you don’t file your Idaho LLC Annual Report, the state has the power to administratively dissolve (shut down) your LLC. If that happens, you’ll need to file for Reinstatement and pay a fee.
Annual Report reminders
If you formed your Idaho LLC through SOSBiz, the Secretary of State will send you an email reminder about 1-2 months before your Annual Report is due.
Again, reminder postcards remind will no longer be sent by mail.
Even if you don’t receive a courtesy reminder from the Secretary of State, it’s still your responsibility to file your LLC’s Annual Report on time every year. For this reason, we recommend putting a reminder on your phone or computer’s calendar.
Create your SOSBiz account and link it to your LLC
Note: If you formed your LLC online with your SOSBiz account, you’ll just need to login. Your LLC is already linked to your SOSBiz account.
If you originally filed your LLC by mail and this is your first time using SOSBiz, you’ll need to create an account and connect it to your LLC:
- Go to the Idaho SOSBiz Login page and click “Create An Account”.
- Enter your name and email and create a password.
- You can now login to your account.
- Go to the business search page, search for your LLC, and click on its name.
- Then click “Request Access” to get a PIN sent to your email.
- Click “Input PIN Now” and enter the PIN that’s in your email.
- Your LLC is now successfully connected to your SOSBiz account.
How to file your Idaho LLC Annual Report in SOSBiz
- Go to the Idaho SOSBiz Login page and sign in.
- Click “My Records”.
- Click on your LLC name.
- Click “File Annual Report” to get started.
Note: If you click “File Annual Report” multiple times and nothing happens, there is a chance that you can’t file your LLC’s Annual Report online. Your LLC may need to file a Reinstatement or there may be another reason. You’ll need to call the Idaho Secretary of State (208-334-2301, M-F 8am – 5pm Mountain Time) and check the status of your LLC.
- You’ll basically be going through about 7 pages of information
- You’ll either keep the information the same or make any updates if things have changed
Entity Name and Address
Review your LLC’s address.
Edit if changes have occurred or go to the next step.
Note: You can’t change your Idaho LLC name via the Annual Report. You’ll need to file an Amendment to do that.
You can’t change the information here so just proceed to the next step.
Registered Agent Information
- Related article: Who can be my Idaho LLC Registered Agent?
On this page, you can either:
- appoint a new Registered Agent
- change your existing Registered Agent’s address
- or make no changes and go to the next step
- Related article: member-managed LLC vs manager-managed LLC
As per section 30-25-201 of the Idaho Business Organizations Code, your LLC must have at least 1 Governor on file.
In a Member-managed LLC, a Governor is an LLC Member.
In a Manager-managed LLC, a Governor is an LLC Manager.
Review your LLC Members’/Managers’ information and make any changes if needed or go to the next step.
Review your Idaho LLC’s information for accuracy. Check for any typos.
Go back to make any changes or go to the next step.
Declare and Sign
Review the terms and check the boxes to agree.
Enter your full name and today’s date to electronically sign the Annual Report.
Enter your title: Member, Manager, or Authorized Person.
- Note: most filers choose to submit their LLC Annual Report online.
Select whether or not you want to submit your Annual Report to the state online or if you prefer to print, sign, and mail it to the state.
If you’ll file by mail: mail your signed and completed Annual Report to: Secretary of State, 450 N 4th Street, PO Box 83720, Boise, ID 83720-0080.
If you’ll file online: click “File Online” and complete the online submission.
Congratulations! Your Idaho LLC’s Annual Report has been submitted to the Secretary of State.
You’re all finished. Just remember to file your Annual Report again next year :-)
Once you file your Idaho LLC Annual Report, you can then proceed to the next lesson: Idaho LLC Business License and Permits.
Idaho Secretary of State Contact Info
If you have any questions, you can contact the Idaho Secretary of State at 208-334-2301. Their hours are Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm, Mountain Time.