LLC Filing Fees by State

Last updated:

Deal alert! Our favorite company, Northwest, is forming LLCs for $39 (60% off!) See details.
LLC Filing Fees by State

Note: Some fees mentioned in the video above have changed. Make sure to reference the table below for the most accurate information.

The table below shows LLC filing fees listed by state, as of 2020.

LLC filing fees range from $40 to $500. As of 2020, the average cost to form an LLC in the US is $132.

Important: Just because certain states have lower fees does not mean you should form there! It could end up costing you a lot more money. You could end up illegally doing business in your home state and having to file 2 LLCs (a Domestic LLC and a Foreign LLC). If you haven’t seen our “best state” video yet, make sure to check it out: What’s the Best state to form an LLC?

LLC Filing Fee: One-time fee paid to the state of formation to create your LLC. This fee is not monthly. There are no states that have monthly LLC fees.

LLC Annual/Biennial Fee: Ongoing mandatory fee – usually paid every 1 or 2 years – which keeps your LLC in compliance and in good standing. There are late fees if filed after the deadline. In 90% of states, they will shut down your LLC if you ignore this requirement.

Need help with your LLC? Have a professional LLC service file for you:
Northwest ($39 + state fee) or LegalZoom ($149 + state fee)

LLC Cost by State (as of 2020):

State LLCLLC Filing FeeLLC Annual/Biennial Fee
Alabama LLC$183$100 minimum (every year)
Alaska LLC$250$100 (every 2 years)
Arizona LLC$50$0 (no fee and no information report)
Arkansas LLC$45$150 (every year)
California LLC$70$800 (every year) + $20 (every 2 years)
Colorado LLC$50$10 (every year)
Connecticut LLC$120$20 (every year)
Delaware LLC$90$300 (every year)
Florida LLC$125$138.75 (every year)
Georgia LLC$100$50 (every year)
Hawaii LLC$50$15 (every year)
Idaho LLC$100$0 (however, an information report must be filed every year)
Illinois LLC$150$75 (every year)
Indiana LLC$95$30 (every 2 years)
Iowa LLC$50$45 (every 2 years)
Kansas LLC$160$50 (every year)
Kentucky LLC$40 (sorry, I said $90 in the video)$15 (every year)
Louisiana LLC$100$35 (every year)
Maine LLC$175$85 (every year)
Maryland LLC$100$300 (every year)
Massachusetts LLC$500$500 (every year)
Michigan LLC$50$25 (every year)
Minnesota LLC$155$0 (however, an information report must be filed every year)
Mississippi LLC$50$0 (however, an information report must be filed every year)
Missouri LLC$50$0 (no fee and no information report)
Montana LLC$70$20 (every year)
Nebraska LLC$105$10 (every 2 years)
Nevada LLC$425$350 (every year)
New Hampshire LLC$100$100 (every year)
New Jersey LLC$125$75 (every year)
New Mexico LLC$50$0 (no fee and no information report)
New York LLC$200$9 (every 2 years)
North Carolina LLC$125$200 (every year)
North Dakota LLC$135$50 (every year)
Ohio LLC$99$0 (no fee and no information report)
Oklahoma LLC$100$25 (every year)
Oregon LLC$100$100 (every year)
Pennsylvania LLC$125$70 (every 10 years)
Rhode Island LLC$150$50 (every year)
South Carolina LLC$110$0 (no fee and no information report, unless LLC is taxed as an S-Corp )
South Dakota LLC$150$50 (every year)
Tennessee LLC$300$300 (every year)
Texas LLC$300$0 for most LLCs (however a No Tax Due Report and Public Information Report must be filed every year)
Utah LLC$70$20 (every year)
Vermont LLC$125$35 (every year)
Virginia LLC$100$50 (every year)
Washington LLC$200$60 (every year)
Washington DC LLC$220$300 (every 2 years)
West Virginia LLC$100$25 (every year)
Wisconsin LLC$130$25 (every year)
Wyoming LLC$100$50 minimum (every year)

Video Transcript:

Hey folks. What’s happening? Matt Horwitz, I have some notes here. We’re going to be talking about LLC filing fees by state. This is on a table, but I’m just going to put it in video format as it might be helpful for some people. Let’s get started. LLC filing feels range from between $50 and $500. It is state specific. If you’re not sure which state you should form your LLC in you should form it in your home state. This is the case for 98% of people. There’s another video on our channel we’re we talk in depth about this. The average cost to file an LLC in the United States is currently $136. Are you ready for some rapid fire stuff?

Alabama, $183. Alaska $250. Arizona $50. Arkansas $50. California $70. Colorado $50. Connecticut $160. Delaware $90. DC $220. Florida $125. Georgia $100. Hawaii $50. Idaho $100. Illinois $505, although they are talking about reducing that fee. That may change. Indiana $90. Iowa $50. Kansas $165. Kentucky $90. Louisiana $100. Maine $175. Maryland $100. Massachusetts $500, ouch. Massachusetts and Illinois those $500 boys. Massachusetts also is a pain in the ass because their annual renewal fee is $500. More on that in a second. Expensive state up there. Michigan $50, good one. Minnesota $160. Mississippi $50. Those $50 guys are just lucky aren’t they? Missouri $105. Montana $70. Nebraska $105. Nevada $75. New Hampshire $100. New Jersey $125. New Mexico $50. New York $200.

New York also has a pain in the ass publishing requirement. We do have a video, it’s not made yet. It might be made by the time you’re watching this. Anyway that New York publication requirement can cost people anywhere between $500 to $1000. We can show you how to save that money via a pretty advanced publication strategy loophole. More on that later. North Dakota $135. Ohio recently reduced to $99. Oklahoma $100. Oregon $100. Pennsylvania $125, my home state. Rhode Island $150. South Carolina $110. South Dakota $150. Tennessee, Texas those are the $300s. Again Tennessee $300. Texas $300. Utah $70. Vermont $125. Virginia $100. Washington $180. West Virginia $100. Wisconsin $130. Wyoming $100. Washington, DC $220. I already had that on the list didn’t I? Yeah. I guess it appears twice by accident.

I’m probably not going to make this video every single year. This video is being made mid 2016. I have all this information as a default table on our web site. Find the link around or below this video to check updated filing fees. We do update that table on a regular basis. Now, besides your state filing fees most states also have what’s called an annual report. It has other names such as annual registration fee, periodic report, biennial report, decennial report, a bunch of different names. There’s a link, it should be in the description box. We also have another video that goes in depth there. Again, if you want to check the updated filing fees click through to the table to get the most up to date stuff if you’re watching this in the future. Hello, future people. All right. Hope this video was helpful for you. I will talk to you soon. Take care. Bye, bye.

Matt Horwitz
Founder & Educator, LLC University®
Forming an LLC shouldn't be so complicated. Our step-by-step guide will make the process a breeze – and no complex legal jargon! LLC University® teaches people how to form an LLC for free in all 50 states. We hope you find our free guides and resources helpful in your business journey.
Leave a Comment (54) ↓
Disclaimer: Nothing on this page shall be interpreted as legal or tax advice. Rules and regulations vary by location. They also change over time and are specific to your situation. Furthermore, this comment section is provided so people can share their thoughts and experience. Please consult a licensed professional if you have legal or tax questions.


  1. Alberto Benitez January 31, 2017

    Really good Videos Matt Thank you!.

    I have a question about an LLC does an LLC have to pay Franchise Tax if an LLC makes anything over $0 Dollars (Example if it makes an amount of 500 dollars.)

    Thanks Matt

    • Matt Horwitz January 31, 2017

      Thanks Alberto! Which state would you be referring to? For the most part, LLCs need to file and pay a Franchise Tax (connected to an Annual Report requirement), regardless of income or activity. In some states, where the Franchise Tax is not “connected to” the LLC’s Annual Report (and instead it’s more an an actual tax) you’ll still need to file a return, but it can be “zeroed out”.

  2. DaJuana Morris July 5, 2017

    Hi Matt, my question is – if I don’t have the actual location in place but already have an EIN number should, and I am planning to be a Sole Propriety LLC in the State of PA, should I apply for the LLC and business name now prior to finding my location? Do I have to also get a fictitious name for the business or just go with the company name when applying for the LLC? I am planning to be a sole propriety business.

    Thank you for your advice and response in advance.


    Mrs. Morris

    • Matt Horwitz July 6, 2017

      Hello Mrs. Morris, to correct a few things you said: First, you are forming an LLC that will be taxed by the IRS as a Sole Proprietorship. Be careful when you say “I am planning to be a sole proprietorship business”. This implies that you will not form a legal entity and you will be operating as yourself… which it does sound like that is what you are wanting. Regarding the EIN, the one you have currently is not “attached” to your LLC, since your LLC is not formed yet. That EIN is attached to you personally, so you would get a new EIN for your LLC (after your LLC is approved). And regarding the Fictitious Name, you are not required to file this, unless you want to operate your business under a different name than that of your LLC. Hope that helps.

  3. Emily July 20, 2017

    Do you have information to a LLC in Guam for real estate investing ?

    • Matt Horwitz July 21, 2017

      At this time, we don’t have info on LLCs in Guam. It’s on our list though. However, the quick version is that you need to draft your own Articles of Organization and file it with the Guam Department of Revenue and Taxation. Please see here: Gov Guam Docs: Requirements for Registering a Limited Liability Company. Their LLC filing fee is $1,000. The easiest thing to do is to call their offices for more details on the Business License requirement, Annual Report, and any other requirements. Hope that helps.

  4. Emily F. August 7, 2017

    Hi Matt,
    I am in Wisconsin. I am (or think I am) a member of an LLC. My business partner and I have had a falling out, and now I wish to withdraw from the LLC and the business all together. We did not make an operating agreement when forming the LLC. I am listed as an organizer on the Articles of Organization, but members of the LLC are not listed. The partner is the registered agent. There are no debts and I do not want any of the assets. I just want to walk away. The partner is refusing to sign paperwork to allow me to withdraw from the LLC.
    What are my options to withdraw from the LLC without litigation?

    • Matt Horwitz August 7, 2017

      Hi Emily, I’m not sure in this case. You’ll need to speak with a lawyer since it sounds like there is a verbal contract in place.

  5. Cameron Swartzentruber October 11, 2017

    Hi Matt, Thanks for the great info. If I form an LLC in Michigan is it ok to open my bank account for that LLC in Buffalo NY? I,m from Ontario,Canada and Buffalo is closer to drive to in order to open up an account.


    • Matt Horwitz October 18, 2017

      Hey Cameron, the only way to do this is via a “cross-branch opening”. You’re technically opening a Michigan bank account in NY, if you can find a branch office in both states that will facilitate this. Call a bank that’s in both states and ask them for how to coordinate it. If not, it’s better to make the drive to MI. Hope that helps :)

  6. Nurzat Youssef January 29, 2018

    Hello Matt,

    My question is I want I start a LLC with my brother to earn extra income.

    But, I typically will have to move every 1 to 2 years for work through out the US.

    How would I go about doing this?

    Second, would it just make more sense to file the LLC in my brothers home state since he will not move?

    By the way, I live in Mass and my brother lives in NJ.

    • Matt Horwitz January 31, 2018

      Hi Nurzat, unfortunately, constantly “moving” an LLC is a major pain. I’d recommend forming the LLC in your brother’s state. The good news is that NJ is far cheaper than a Massachusetts LLC :)

  7. Jolie Hales February 9, 2018

    Hi Matt,

    This site is awesome — well done.

    Question for you, if you don’t mind.

    My family and I are starting an online clothing business together, and plan to form an LLC. Two of us live in *cough* expensive California, and the other two live in much more financially manageable Arizona. Looking at options, we’d like to form the LLC in Arizona where the website is being designed/managed as well as a lot of the business/logistics, because it seems like a state that is much more financially friendly to startups (and every dollar counts). However, the actual designing, working with manufacturers, and shipping of our products will most likely be taking place out of California. Do we have a choice in which state we go with? Do we have to form an LLC in California because that’s where products will go to/from? Or is Arizona a possibility?

    Anything else we’re overlooking? Too bad no one in our family is a lawyer.

    Thanks for the great info here.


    • Matt Horwitz February 12, 2018

      Hey Jolie, thanks for the nice comment! There is a chance that with part (or the bulk) of your operations in CA, you may need a CA registration (either a domestic LLC formed in CA or your AZ LLC registered to do business in CA as a Foreign LLC). In order to choose between the states, it’s best practice to pick the state where more “substantial” amounts of business are being done. Also, I recommend reading our article on what is doing business in California. You have two options: form an LLC in Arizona and then register your Arizona LLC as a Foreign LLC in California if/when needed, or just form a domestic California LLC from the start. Hope that helps a bit. Let me know if you have any followups.

      • Jolie Hales February 12, 2018

        Great — thank you! Maybe we’ll just find a way to move the whole business to Arizona, hahaha. Appreciate the helpful feedback!


        • Matt Horwitz February 14, 2018

          You’re welcome Jolie! I agree, moving the business to Arizona will save you some dollars. And you can always expand to California if/when needed. Best wishes with the business!

  8. Destiny March 24, 2018

    First thank you for all the information you have provided. I have a LLC and in a few weeks will have a non profit both are under the same name. I want to make money with my llc doing something totally differently my question should I change the name ? Two how can both work for me to make money and take in money ? Thanks

    • Matt Horwitz March 26, 2018

      Hi Destiny, you’re very welcome! When you say “How can both work for me to make money and take in money?”, I’m not sure what you mean. It’s strange that the state allowed for an identical name. You might want to change the the name of your LLC just to keep sane. Things will get very confusing very quickly, and not only for you, but anyone else working with these businesses’ names.

  9. Steve April 18, 2018

    I will be forming an LLC in Ohio. What will my total fees be?

    • Matt Horwitz April 21, 2018

      Hey Steve, if you (or a friend or family member) will be your LLC Statutory Agent, then it’ll just be the $99 fee for the Ohio Articles of Organization. If you’re going to hire a Statutory Agent Company – also called a Commercial Statutory Agent or Commercial Registered Agent – then your fees will be a little higher. Hope that helps. Check out our Ohio LLC course for more details.

  10. Tiffany Phillip June 2, 2018

    Hi Matt,

    I am starting a mink eye lash business, I will be selling it online. I am trying to figure out if getting the LLC is better or should I do the sole prop/DBA. Can you tell me if I should register as a LLC.

  11. heidar sadeki June 15, 2018

    Hi Matt,
    Thank you for this website. Great work.
    I want buy real estate in Los Angles and I want to set up a LLC to do so, protecting it from potential creditors. As no business will be conducted under this LLC, I want this LLC to have the lowest filing fee, annual fees, and taxes (if any).
    The following are three states with the lowest Filing and annual fees:
    State Filing fee Annual fees
    Arizona $ 50.00 0
    Ohio $ 50.00 0
    New Mexico $ 50.00 0
    Can I set up the LLC in any of the above states and purchase property in CA under that LLC?
    If yes, would it make a difference which one?
    Any red flags I should be aware of?

  12. Shirley July 5, 2018

    Great website–thank you!
    I have had a small business since 1993 and just used my name and the service provided as the business name to get my state tax number (ex: John Doe Transcription). I’ve always filed my federal taxes as a sole proprietor by filing everything through my personal taxes. Most years my income has been so low that I haven’t needed to file a state return.
    I am now wanting to create an LLC that would be generic enough name-wise to put my long-term business under this umbrella plus add some new business activities. I am thinking of a name that generically covers all activities I foresee doing as a self-employed person. However, for each specific activity I foresee using a more targeted name that still fits under the overall LLC name I would like to house it all under.
    QUESTION: Is it okay to use one name to create the LLC like an umbrella and then have sub activities that fall under that one LLC, all loosely related (i.e., health information services and advocacy)? These services specifically would be my historical business of medical transcription, plus now adding in forming and leading a health support group, and doing some advocacy in that realm too. QUESTION #2: I am a bit undecided if these new activitues will be a for-profit business or nonprofit. If I go nonprofit, do I still need an LLC to cover liability issues? (I realize if I go nonprofit with the new activities, the old business would need a separate LLC).
    Thank you for your feedback. So glad I now understand how unwise it was to function as a sole proprietor all these years.

    • Matt Horwitz August 12, 2018

      Hi Shirley, yes, you can create an LLC that does multiple different things. Also, the name of your LLC doesn’t have to specify the type of activities or the purpose of the LLC. For example, you could just call it The John Doe Group LLC or John Doe Consultants LLC. Or something else that doesn’t include your first and last name. It’s completely flexible. Non-profit is a completely different animal, since you’re talking about forming a Corporation and then getting Non-Profit exemption status from the IRS. It’s a much more complicated filing and it doesn’t sound like what you’re trying to do. However, you could look into a Low-Profit LLC (L3C), but it only exists in a handful of states. Hope that helps.

  13. Berny Perez July 31, 2018

    Hello Matt I’m starting a LLC plumbing business in Texas. My partner and I have came up with a name which is not taking in Texas but it is established in Florida how does that work?

    • Matt Horwitz August 15, 2018

      Hi Berny, LLC names are registered and protected at the state level, so you won’t have a problem if your Texas LLC’s name is identical to the name of another LLC in another state. However, if you’re planning for your business to go national in the future, then you’ll want to consider getting your name/brand registered as a trademark at the federal level. Registration is done with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). Hope that helps.

  14. Joe C. November 13, 2018


    I’d like to start an LLC doing Live Event Production and consultation, particularly with music concerts, but also speaking engagements, corporate meetings, etc. I’ve been in the Trade for well over 20 years now and I’m ready branch out on my own.

    The issue is, these events could be in multiple states throughout the year. Would I have to establish and pay fees for an LLC in every state I produce an event? The bulk of the Pre-pro work would be done in WA state. Most of the events right now would also be in WA State, but that may not always be the case. What do you think?

    I plan on just employing myself for the time being. Anything else would be contracted out.



  15. david fritz December 3, 2018

    Hello Matt,
    I live in NY but would prefer to get an LLC registered in AZ due to the fees ($50 ).
    How can I get an LLC registered in AZ if I live in NY? Would a PObox address in AZ work?

    • Matt Horwitz December 4, 2018

      Hi David, if you’re living in and doing business in New York, you’ll want to form an LLC in New York, not in Arizona. Please check out our best state for forming an LLC article. Hope that helps!

  16. Karen December 7, 2018

    -When I move to a new state and use your forms to file for an LLC there:
    a) Will it be OK to just not pay the annual filing fee and let it expire, in order to avoid the filing expense to cancel it…or will I need to pay a fee to cancel my current LLC with my state (WA)?
    b) Will I notify my registered agent, who doesn’t do anything anymore (his services were included in the large payment to create my LLC 10yrs ago).
    c) Will I be able to continue using my current EIN # with my new LLC, or will I need to get a new one?

    • Matt Horwitz December 8, 2018

      Hi Karen, to clarify, we don’t have “our forms”. We provide links to the official state forms. a) While you can do that, we instead recommend properly dissolving the LLC, filing a final return, and taking care of any related winding up activities. b) It’s probably a nice gesture to notify them. c) You’ll want to get a new EIN for your new LLC. Hope that helps.

      • Karen December 19, 2018

        Thanks for your recommendation. I checked & my state does not charge anything to dissolve the LLC, although they kind of do it themselves after 90 days. Like you said, though, it will be good to have it happen at the end of the year.

        Also, it turns out I’ll save money when we move, as the new state has lower charges for Annual Reports. Luckily it’s easy and fast to get a new EIN over the Internet, too. Thanks again

        • Matt Horwitz December 19, 2018

          Hi Karen, you’re welcome. Oh, that’s great news about the better-priced Annual Report! Yup, EIN is super fast. Just make sure your LLC is approved before getting its EIN. You’re welcome!

  17. JG December 17, 2018

    Kentucky also has a limited liability entity tax. Minimum $175.00 each year.
    Do other states have a similar tax?

    • Matt Horwitz December 18, 2018

      Hi JG, correct. We do mention that on our Kentucky LLC taxes page. Yes, many states have additional taxes beyond the LLC Annual Report; which is usually filed with the Secretary of State. Thanks.

  18. Ivy January 6, 2019

    Hey Matt,

    I already filled out the LLC application for Illinois(today) and I think I might have did it wrong. When it asked for names is managers I put my husband name and the organizer as me. Does that mean I don’t have any power to make discussions? Do I need to list my name also? If so, how if I submitted it already?I apologize im just so confused.

    Thanks in advance

  19. Maxwell January 15, 2019

    first off im 15 and interested in starting my own business (online) and am situated in NC and was wondering if a sole proprietorship or LLC would be best for me, and if i can start the business as a sole proprietorship and switch to an LLC later down the road to protect my current assets. And if its even legal to be a manager and organizer of an LLC as a minor (from what i have researched it is but there may be some complications)

    • Matt Horwitz January 15, 2019

      Hi Maxwell, we have info on “converting” a Sole Proprietorship to an LLC here: change Sole Proprietorship to LLC. Regarding the part about being a minor, we’re not sure. Things vary by state statute. We recommend calling up a few attorneys. Avvo is a good source. Hope that helps.

  20. Jay Strinhardt January 26, 2019

    Hi Matt, thanks for the article!

    I’m in Mass doing an online business that does business across the country. Does it matter which state I file in? Mass is very expensive! I wonder if I even have to have a physical address for an online business?


    • Matt Horwitz January 28, 2019

      Hi Jay, it comes down to where you’re transacting business. If you are living and running the business from Massachusetts, then you’re transacting business in Massachusetts. And yes, your LLC will need a physical address. States don’t really care if you’re business is online of offline. If you’re carrying out business activities in their state, then you’re doing business there. Hope that helps clarify it.

  21. Yana February 7, 2019

    Hi Matt!!

    Thanks for all the info listed. I read all the other questions by people but none matched my situation. I live in Poland and will be doing online business in America. I am a citizen living abroad. Am I able to register in a cheaper state? Will not have an address though. I do have people living in New York and that’s where I used to reside before moving to Europe. So I can use someone else’s address. Will I be getting mail there? I want to conduct all my mail online. NY costs seem very cheap after the initial filing fee, so maybe to file there is worth it, but please tell me info regarding the mail. I don’t want someone else to have to be bothered with handling my business mail.

    • Matt Horwitz February 13, 2019

      Hi Yana, there is a publication requirement for New York LLCs. Yes, in pretty much all states, you’ll be getting mail at the LLC’s address. Some Registered Agent companies will receive your mail and then scan it to you by email. Where to form an LLC comes down to where you’ll be legally transacting business. Since you’re not living in the states, it’s a bit gray. It’s also a good idea to think ahead. If you move back to the states, where would you go? It may be worth considering forming in that state. Your business may grow and maybe you decide to be taxed as an S-Corp. In that case, you’d need to run payroll. Payroll is filed at the federal, state, and local level. So if New York is where you’ll go back to, it’ll be easier to already have an LLC setup there for payroll. That’s just a hypothetical example though.

      • Yana February 13, 2019

        Great points Matt! Thank you so much for your professional opinion. I will go that route. I do eventually want to relocate back to NYC. The address where I will receive mail is someone I know and trust. So it’s a good start. Appreciate your time!!

        • Matt Horwitz February 13, 2019

          You’re welcome Yana :) Glad it was helpful!

  22. Sinha February 10, 2019

    I have a California LLC to manage my clients’ investments. I have clients in California, Texas, Missouri, and Louisiana. My questions are:

    1. Do I need to register my California LLC in Texas, Missouri, and Louisiana as well?
    2. Also, in the future, if I get clients in other states, would I have to keep registering my California LLC in all other states too?
    3. Would investment management fee I earn be considered income originating from these various states? … and therefore, would I have to file my LLC forms and pay taxes in all these individual states? … Or because I work from California, I can consider all income to have originated from California and pay taxes only in California, obviously, in addition to federal taxes?

    • Matt Horwitz February 18, 2019

      Hi Sinha, where an LLC needs to be formed (or registered as a foreign LLC) comes down to where it’s legally transacting business. There are different laws for each state. Also, “managing clients’ investments” could happen in a multitude of ways. It’s best practice to speak with attorneys in the those states to evaluate the business activity and see if it constitutes “doing business”. The last question is a tax question. You’ll need to speak with a qualified tax professional about that. It depends on how those states treat the income, where it’s “sourced”, and more. You may have to file and pay, you may just have to file (and apportion your income to California), or neither. Hope that helps and thanks for your understanding.

  23. Rebecca Varicak February 28, 2019

    Current situation: I am an independent contractor for a company and receive a 1099. My tax adviser told me to look into forming an LLC as a ShareCorp. If I did form an LLC, would my contractor paychecks be able to qualify as income to the corp? And, I would be the owner of the LLC and an employee so I would be paid out of the corp as an employee? It just sounds shady, and I want to make sure I’m not doing anything illegal. Thanks so much!

    • Matt Horwitz March 1, 2019

      Hi Rebecca, it would be helpful to read how are LLCs taxed first. That’ll make the rest of this reply make more sense. If you formed an LLC, payments made to that LLC (regardless of how the LLC is taxed) will just be treated as income. No taxes will be withheld, which is the same as your current arrangement, receiving payments as an independent contractor.

      By default, a Single-Member LLC (1 owner) will be taxed like a Sole Proprietorship. There is no such thing as a ShareCorp. I imagine they meant an LLC taxed as an S-Corp. More specifically, that is an LLC that elects (by filing a form) not be to be taxed in the LLC’s default status (LLC taxed as Sole Proprietorship), but instead, for the LLC to be treated as an S-Corporation for taxes. While this isn’t shady, you’ll want your net income to be above a certain amount in order to offset the extra costs to managing an LLC taxed as an S-Corp. The “LLC taxed as an S-Corp” article will go into all those details. Overall, we don’t recommend doing anything with an LLC (regardless of the tax setup) until you have a good grasp on the basics. Check out the articles at the top of our LLC Learning Center. I think they will help a lot. Hope that helps!


Leave a comment or question

Comments are temporarily disabled.