Last updated January 9, 2021

Can a Foreigner Own an S-Corp?

What types of foreigners can own
a U.S. S-Corporation?

The short answer is yes, a “foreigner” can own an S-Corp (also known as an S-Corporation), but it depends on what type of “foreigner”.

If you look on the main S-Corporation page of the IRS website, they briefly state, “To qualify for S-Corporation status, the corporation must meet the following requirements: May not be partnerships, corporations or non-resident alien shareholders.”

This is not very helpful since not all foreigners understand what a non-resident alien is, and the “who can own S-Corp” could be expanded on.

Note: An S-Corporation owner is the same thing as an S-Corporation shareholder.

Who can own an S-Corporation (be an S-Corp shareholder)?

Non-resident alien (aka non-US resident)

A foreigner that is a non-resident alien cannot own an S-Corp.

As per the IRS, a non-resident alien is an individual who is not a US citizen or a US resident alien.

Note: Another word used for non-resident alien is non-US resident.

US resident alien

A foreigner that is a US resident alien can own an S-Corp.

As per the IRS, a US resident alien is an individual that is not a US citizen or US national and who meets either “the green card test” or “the substantial presence test” for each calendar year.

Keep in mind: You will need to maintain your US Resident Alien Status for many years. Meaning, it’s not a one-time requirement to in order to be an S-Corporation owner. You must always be a US Resident Alien in order to keep the S-Corporation in compliance with IRS rules. If you don’t maintain this status, the IRS will not honor your S-Corporation election.


The following people can own an S-Corporation:

  • US citizens
  • US residents

The following people can’t own an S-Corporation:

  • non-resident aliens (non-US residents)
Matt Horwitz
Founder & Educator, LLC University®
Forming an LLC shouldn't be so complicated. Our step-by-step guide will make the process a breeze – and no complex legal jargon! LLC University® teaches people how to form an LLC for free in all 50 states. We hope you find our free guides and resources helpful in your business journey.

Copyright protected

Warning: This site is copyright protected and we enforce our rights to the fullest extent of the law. It is illegal to reproduce, distribute, or create derivative works without our written consent.

This does not apply to personal, non-distributive use.