Last updated August 18, 2021
Hawaii LLC Articles of Organization (LLC-1) Instructions
How to form an LLC in Hawaii
This Quick Start Guide is a brief overview of how to form an LLC in Hawaii.
Hawaii LLC costs:
State filing fee: $51 (one-time fee)
Annual fee: $15 (every year)
★ Check out Northwest vs LegalZoom
In this lesson, we will walk you through filing your LLC Articles of Organization (LLC-1) with the Hawaii Business Registration Division.
This is the document that officially creates your LLC in Hawaii.
You can file your LLC Articles of Organization online or by mail.
Hawaii LLC filing fee
The filing fee for an LLC in Hawaii is $51. This is a one-time fee.
The $51 LLC fee is the same for both the online filing and mail-in filing.
Note: The “LLC filing fee” (the fee to create a Hawaii LLC) is the same thing as the “Articles of Organization fee”. The Articles of Organization is the document, that once approved by the Business Registration Division’, creates your Hawaii LLC.
How long does it take to get a Hawaii LLC?
Hawaii LLC approval time is 3-5 business days if you file online.
Hawaii LLC approval time is 7-10 business days if you file by mail.
Note: Filing times may take longer due to the current global situation and government delays. For the most up-to-date LLC processing times, check how long does it take to get an LLC in Hawaii.
LLC University® recommendation
We recommend the online filing as it’s easier to do and the approval time is much faster. The state also prefers online filings too.
However, if you prefer to file by mail, the instructions below will still apply. Download Form LLC-1, prepare a check or money order for $51 (payable to “Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs”) and mail them to: State of Hawaii – DCCA, Business Registration Division, PO Box 40, Honolulu, HI 96810.
Prior LLC University® lessons
Before completing your LLC Articles of Organization, make sure you have read the prior lessons:
Northwest ($39 + state fee) or LegalZoom ($149 + state fee)
(check out Northwest vs LegalZoom)
Instructions for filing Hawaii LLC Articles of Organization Online
Create an Online Account with eHawaii.gov:
- Visit eHawaii.gov Account Services.
- Enter your email address and click “Continue”.
- Complete your profile and click the “Create Account” button.
- You’ll see a confirmation message on the next page. You’re now ready to begin.
- Visit eHawaii.gov: Welcome to Hawai‘i Business Express (HBE)
- Click the “Use QuickFile” button on the right. You don’t need to select anything from the drop down menu. Then login on the next page.
- Click the “LLC-1 Articles of Organization for Limited Liability Company” link.
- You’ll see a popup message about “multiple agencies” and using the “Wizard”. You can click “Continue” to use QuickFile. We’ll show you how to register with the Department of Taxation in the Hawaii LLC tax requirements lesson.
I. LLC name
Enter your LLC name exactly as you would like it, including your preferred capitalization, as well as the designator “LLC” or “L.L.C.” (the abbreviation “LLC” is the most common).
You can use a comma in your LLC name or you can leave it out. Ex: “ABC Widgets, LLC” and “ABC Widgets LLC” are both acceptable.
II. Mailing address of initial principal office
Enter your LLC’s principal office address. PO Boxes are not allowed. The state will use this address when they need to send mail to your LLC.
You can use any street address you like. It could be a home address, an office address, or a friend or family member’s address. The address can be in Hawaii, but it doesn’t have to be.
III. Registered Agent
- Prior lesson: Make sure you have read the Hawaii LLC Registered Agent lesson before proceeding. We have some tips on keeping your address off of public records.
If your LLC’s Registered Agent is a person:
- Name: Enter their first and last name
- Agent Type: Select “Individual”
- Ignore the State and Country drop downs
- Enter their street address in Hawaii
If you hired a Registered Agent company:
- Name: Enter their company name
- Agent Type: Select “Entity”
- State: Select the company’s state of incorporation
- If you hired Northwest Registered Agent, their state of incorporation is Wyoming.
- If you hired a different Registered Agent company, make sure to contact them for this information
- Enter your Registered Agent’s street address in Hawaii
If you hired Northwest Registered Agent, double-check their state record (Business Registration Division: Northwest Registered Agent LLC). Their address should be:
1001 Bishop Street, STE 2685A
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
- Related article: Please read LLC Organizer vs Member before completing this section.
Individual or Entity:
Most filers will select “Individual” since it’s a person who is the LLC Organizer.
However, if a company will be the LLC Organizer, select “Entity”. Note: your LLC cannot be its own Organizer.
Enter the address of the LLC Organizer.
Only 1 Organizer is needed:
An LLC only needs one Organizer. Again, read the link mentioned at the top of this section. However, if you want to list additional Organizers, you can click the “Add Another Organizer” link.
V. Period of Duration
In this section, you need to let the State of Hawaii know about the duration of your LLC (how long it will remain in existence).
If you prefer for your LLC to be “open-ended” with no set closure date, select “At-will”.
If you prefer for your LLC to automatically be shut down on a specific date, select the 2nd option and enter that date.
What do most people do? Most filers choose “At-will”. This allows the LLC to be open indefinitely, unless they decide to close it down by filing dissolution paperwork.
VI. Manager-Managed or Member-Managed
- Related article: Please read Member-managed LLC vs Manager-managed LLC before completing this section.
Tip: Read this section slowly. Member-managed and Manager-managed not only sound confusingly similar, but they almost look the same. Who the heck chose such confusing names lol!
Select option A if your Hawaii LLC will be Manager-managed. Then enter the number of LLC Members (owners).
Select option B if your Hawaii LLC will be Member-managed. This is how most LLCs are managed. You don’t need to enter the number of LLC Members (owners).
C. Manager(s) or Member(s) info:
• If your LLC will be Manager-managed, enter the name and address of the first Manager. Click “Add Another Manager/Member” on the right to add additional LLC Managers, if applicable. Note: You will not be listing any Members (owners) if your LLC is Manager-managed.
• If your LLC will be Member-managed, enter the name and address of the first Member (owner). Click “Add Another Manager/Member” on the right to add additional LLC Members, if applicable.
What do most people do? The majority of LLCs in Hawaii are managed by the owners, so most filers elect for their LLC to be Member-managed.
Select whether or not the LLC Members will be liable for the debts and obligations of the Hawaii LLC.
What do most people do? Most filers select the first option: “Shall not be liable for the debts, obligations, and liabilities of the company”.
Signature (Organizer’s signature)
Most people are the Organizer of their own LLC. If that’s the case, select “Individual” and enter your name twice.
Then click “Review and Purchase” at the bottom.
Review and Confirmation
Review the information you entered for your Hawaii LLC. Review for accuracy and check for any typos.
If you need to make any changes:
Click the small “go back” link at the top of the page.
If everything looks good:
Check off the “I certify” box at the bottom and then click the “Confirm” button.
Confirmation of Forms/Fees
You’ll see the total Hawaii LLC filing fee on this page.
By default, there will be a check box selected to receive email reminders for your Hawaii LLC Annual Report. We recommend leaving this selected.
Click “Checkout” to proceed.
Select “Credit Card”. Then enter your billing information and click “Continue” to finalize your payment to the state.
Congratulations! Your Hawaii LLC has been filed for processing.
On the next page, you will see a confirmation message and a receipt. You can save/print this page for your records. Now you just need to wait for approval.
How long does it take to get my Hawaii LLC approved?
The state will review your LLC filing and approve it within 3-5 business days.
Once your LLC is approved, the state will email you back a stamped and approved copy of your Articles of Organization.
Next Step: LLC Operating Agreement
Once you file your Hawaii LLC Articles of Organization, and it is approved by the state, you can then proceed to the next lesson: Hawaii LLC Operating Agreement.
State of Hawaii Contact Info
If you have any questions, you can contact the Hawaii Business Registration Division at 808-586-2727. Their hours are Monday through Friday from 7:45am to 4:30pm.
State of Hawaii: filing fees
Hawaii Business Registration: filing tips
Hawaii Uniform LLC Act Section 428.0203
Hawaii Uniform LLC Act Section 428.0204
Hawaii Uniform LLC Act: Section 428-204.6
Hawaii Uniform LLC Act Section 428-0204.5
Hawaii Business Registration: business entity types
Hawaii Business Express: frequently asked questions
Hawaii Business Registration: general info on registering
New State Archive Fee Collection Beginning October 1, 2013
State of Hawaii: information for domestic Limited Liability Company
State of Hawaii: instructions for filing LLC-1 Articles of Organization
Department of Commerce and Registration: Limited Liability Company
Department of Commerce and Registration: Fees/Uniform LLC Act, Chapter 428
Department of Commerce and Registration: Forms for Limited Liability Company