Starting a Hawaii LLC
A Hawaii Limited Liability Company (LLC) is a legal structure used to protect your personal assets (home, car, bank account) in the event your business is sued.
An LLC can be used to operate a business, or an LLC can be used to hold assets (such as real estate, vehicles, boats, or aircraft).
Forming an LLC in Hawaii is simple:
- Search your Hawaii LLC name in the state database
- Select your LLC’s Hawaii Registered Agent
- Submit your Hawaii Articles of Organization (by mail or online) and pay the state filing fee of $51 ($50 filing fee + $1 archive fee)
Check out LLC Cost in Hawaii to learn more about fees.
The Hawaii Business Registration Department will approve your LLC in 7-10 business days if you file by mail. If you file online, LLC approval time will be 3-5 business days.
Note: Filing times may take longer due to the current global situation and government delays. Please see how long does it take to get an LLC in Hawaii.
After your Hawaii LLC is approved:
- Complete your Hawaii LLC Operating Agreement
- Get a Federal Tax ID Number (aka EIN) for your Hawaii LLC from the IRS
- Check what kind of Hawaii Business License your LLC needs to operate
And every year for the life of your LLC:
- File a Hawaii LLC Annual Report ($15) every year to keep your LLC in compliance
- Comply with any Hawaii LLC Taxes and file federal taxes as applicable