The first step to forming an LLC in Louisiana is to search your desired LLC name and make sure it is available for use.
Your Louisiana LLC name must be unique and must follow certain state requirements.
Louisiana LLC Name Requirements
Before searching your LLC name in Louisiana, there are a few requirements you need to know:
1. The abbreviations “LLC” or “L.L.C.” must be used at the end of your Louisiana LLC name. The abbreviation “LLC” is the most common.
2. Because an Louisiana LLC is not a Corporation, your desired LLC name cannot use the word “Corporation”, “Incorporated,” or their abbreviations (“Corp.”, “Inc.”).
3. Your desired LLC name must be distinguishable. This means it must be different and unique from all other businesses registered in Louisiana.
Differences in designators (the identifiers at the end of a business name) and differences in grammar do not create distinguishability.
- LLC, L.L.C, Inc., Corp.
- singular, plural, and possessive
- A, An, The
- and, or, &
- hyphens, slashes, periods, commas
- three vs. 3
The following examples are NOT distinguishable:
- Smith Investments, LLC vs. Smith Investments, Inc.
- Apple Farm, LLC vs. Apple Farms, LLC
- Print Shop, LLC vs. The Print Shop, LLC
- Night & Day, LLC vs. Night and Day, LLC
- Peter Paul & Mary Studios, LLC vs. Peter-Paul-Mary Studios, Inc
- Three Teachers Consulting, LLC vs. 3 Teachers Consulting, LLC
Searching the Louisiana Name Database
1. Visit the Database
Go to the Louisiana Business Filings Search page:
2. Search your LLC
Enter your desired LLC name in the “Name” search box.
Leave out the ending “LLC” and any punctuation.
Capitalization doesn’t matter, but just so you know, the state forces the search box to be all uppercase.
To be thorough, just enter the first word or two of your LLC name to ensure you see everything that is potentially similar. (Ex: if your desired Louisiana LLC name is “Johnny Apple Farm LLC”, just enter “johnny apple”).
To be even more thorough, just enter a part of the first word. (Ex: if your desired Louisiana LLC name is “Printing Solutions LLC”, just enter “print”).
3. Browse the Results
Click the “Search” button and browse the list of existing Louisiana businesses:
If a “Total Results: 0” message appears in the Louisiana database, that means your desired LLC name is unique and available for use.
If the results show names that are not too similar to yours (meaning yours is distinguishable), then your desired Louisiana LLC name is available for use.
If your desired LLC name appears in the list exactly as you want it, your desired Louisiana LLC name is not available for use. You’ll need to think of a new name or use some creativity and come up with a unique variation.
If the results show a name that is deceptively similar to your desired LLC name, your desired Louisiana LLC name is not available for use. You’ll need to think of a new name or use some creativity and come up with a unique variation.
Tip: And don’t worry, if you’re not 100% sure that your desired Louisiana LLC name is distinguishable, just file your paperwork with the state. If your name is not available, the state of Louisiana will send back your filing and let you know that the name needs to be changed.
Once you find a Louisiana LLC name that is unique and distinguishable, you’re ready to select your LLC’s Registered Agent. We’ll discuss this in the next lesson: Louisiana LLC Registered Agent.
And check out TRUIC’s business name generator if you need help coming up with an LLC name.
Louisiana Secretary of State Contact Info
If you have any questions, you can contact the Louisiana Secretary of State at 225-925-4704.