Last updated December 8, 2021
Alaska LLC Name Search
Overview: How to start an LLC in Alaska
Alaska LLC Costs:
Formation fee: $250 (one-time fee)
Initial report fee: $0
Annual fee: $100 (every 2 years)
★ Check out Northwest vs LegalZoom
Alaska LLC Name Requirements
The first step to forming an LLC in Alaska is to search your desired LLC name and make sure it’s available for use.
Before searching your LLC name in Alaska, there are a few requirements you need to know:
1. The abbreviations “LLC” or “L.L.C.” must be used at the end of your name. The abbreviation “LLC” is the most common.
2. Because an LLC is not a Corporation, your desired name cannot use the word “Corporation”, “Incorporated,” or their abbreviations (“Corp.”, “Inc.”).
3. Your desired LLC name must be distinguishable. This means it must be different and unique from all other businesses registered in Alaska.
Differences in designators (identifiers at the end of a business name) and differences in grammar do not create distinguishability.
• LLC, L.L.C, Inc., Corp.
• singular, plural, and possessive
• A, An, The
• and, or, &
• hyphens, slashes, periods, commas
• three vs. 3
The following examples are NOT distinguishable:
– Smith Investments, LLC vs. Smith Investments, Inc.
– Apple Farm, LLC vs. Apple Farms, LLC
– Print Shop, LLC vs. The Print Shop, LLC
– Night & Day, LLC vs. Night and Day, LLC
– Peter Paul & Mary Studios, LLC vs. Peter-Paul-Mary Studios, Inc
– Three Teachers Consulting, LLC vs. 3 Teachers Consulting, LLC
Searching the Alaska Name Database
To make sure your LLC name is distinguishable and available for use, you’ll need to search it in the Alaska Corporations Database.
(Don’t worry, although it’s called the “Alaska Corporations Database”, it searches all Corporations, LLCs, and businesses registered in the state)
1. Visit Alaska’s Corporations Database search page:
Alaska Division of Corporations: Search Corporations Database
2. Enter your desired LLC name in the Entity Name box.
Leave out the ending “LLC” and any punctuation. Capitalization doesn’t matter. Enter the first few words of your name. Unless you have a single word for your name, then just enter that.
3. Click “Starts With”, and then click the “Search” button.
4. Browse the list of existing Alaska businesses and make sure your name is unique.
- If your desired LLC name is not unique you’ll need to think of a new name or use some creativity and come up with a variation.
- If you see “No Results”, then your desired LLC name is unique and available to use.
- If the results show names that are not too similar to yours (meaning yours is distinguishable), then your desired LLC name is available for use.
Need help coming up with an LLC name? Check out TRUIC’s business name generator.
Once you find a unique and distinguishable LLC name, you’re ready to select your LLC’s Registered Agent. We’ll discuss this in the next lesson: Alaska Registered Agent.
Alaska Secretary of State Contact Info
If you have any questions, you can contact the Alaska Division of Corporations at 907-465-2550.
Their hours are 8am to 5pm AKT, Monday through Friday.