Last updated June 1, 2020

Arizona LLC
Business Licenses and Permits

How to form an LLC in Arizona
This Quick Start Guide is a brief overview of how to form an LLC in Arizona.

Detailed Lessons:


Arizona LLC Costs:
Arizona LLC formation: $50 (regular) or $85 (expedited)
Arizona LLC annual report: none

Need help?
Hire a reliable service to form your Arizona LLC:
Northwest ($39 + state fee) or LegalZoom ($149 + state fee)

★ Check out Northwest vs LegalZoom

Licenses and Permits

Before your LLC can do business in Arizona, you may need to get state, and city/county licenses and permits.

The licenses and permits depend on the nature of your business, and the city or county where it is located.

Types of licenses you may need in Arizona

Examples of permits/licenses your Arizona LLC may need include:

  • Seller/reseller permit
  • Building permit
  • Health permit
  • Signage permit
  • Home occupation permit
  • Zoning and land use permits
  • Withholding taxes (if you have employees)

Arizona Transaction Privilege Tax (TPT)

Quoted from the Arizona Department of Revenue:

“The Arizona transaction privilege tax (TPT) is commonly referred to as a sales tax; however, the tax is on the privilege of doing business in Arizona and is not a true sales tax. Although TPT is usually passed on to the consumer, it is actually a tax on the vendor. TPT is applied to entities engaged in certain business classifications, including retail sales.

Types of business activities subject to TPT include, but are not limited to: retail sales, restaurants/bars, hotel/motel (transient lodging), commercial leasing, advertising, amusements, personal property rentals, real property rentals, construction contracting, owner/builders, manufactured building, severance (mining, timbering), transportation, printing, publishing, utilities, communications, air/railroad, private cars/pipelines and use tax.

The Arizona Department of Revenue (ADOR) collects the tax for the counties and most cities, however, some of the cities license and collect their tax independently. Tax rates vary depending on the type of business activity, the city and the county.

If you are selling a product or engaging in a service subject to transaction privilege tax, you will most likely need to obtain the state transaction privilege tax (TPT) license from ADOR (commonly referred to as a sales tax, resale, wholesale, vendor or tax license) and a TPT or business/occupational license from the city or cities in which you are based and/or operate.

If you have questions about whether or not your business activity is subject to TPT, check with both ADOR and the licensing office(s) of the city or cities in which you will be based and/or operate.

Please note: There are some differences between the state and local authorities in the taxability of transactions. For instance, the state does not impose TPT on 1) renting, leasing, or licensing for use residential real property or 2) the sale of advertising. However, many cities do tax these activities. For questions regarding TPT, please call 1-(844)-698-9176.”

You can also find more information about the Transaction Privilege Tax (TPT) here: Department of Revenue: Transaction Privilege Tax.

Do it yourself in Arizona

Need Help? If you don’t want to make phone calls and determine the licensing requirements yourself, we recommend hiring IncFile.

Below are some helpful guides and resources.

Arizona Department of Revenue

The Department of Revenue has a helpful resource page for business licenses and permits: Arizona Department of Revenue: Business – Starting a new business

They also have a guide on taxes for Arizona businesses:
A Guide to Taxes for Arizona Businesses (Publication 622)

Arizona Commerce Authority

The Arizona Commerce Authority has a number of helpful pages:

Matt Horwitz
Founder & Educator, LLC University®
Forming an LLC shouldn't be so complicated. Our step-by-step guide will make the process a breeze – and no complex legal jargon! LLC University® teaches people how to form an LLC for free in all 50 states. We hope you find our free guides and resources helpful in your business journey.

Copyright protected

Warning: This site is copyright protected and we enforce our rights to the fullest extent of the law. It is illegal to reproduce, distribute, or create derivative works without our written consent.

This does not apply to personal, non-distributive use.