The first step to forming an LLC in Arkansas is to search your desired LLC name and make sure it’s available for use.
Arkansas LLC Name Requirements
Before searching your LLC name in Arkansas, there are a few requirements you need to know:
1. The abbreviations “LLC” or “L.L.C.” must be used at the end of your name. The abbreviation “LLC” is the most common.
2. Because an LLC is not a Corporation, your desired name cannot use the word “Corporation”, “Incorporated,” or their abbreviations (“Corp.”, “Inc.”).
3. Your desired LLC name must be distinguishable. This means it must be different and unique from all other businesses registered in Arkansas.
Differences in designators (the identifiers at the end of a business name) and differences in grammar do not create distinguishability.
- LLC, L.L.C, Inc., Corp.
- singular, plural, and possessive
- A, An, The
- and, or, &
- hyphens, slashes, periods, commas
- three vs. 3
The following examples are NOT distinguishable:
- Smith Investments, LLC vs. Smith Investments, Inc.
- Apple Farm, LLC vs. Apple Farms, LLC
- Print Shop, LLC vs. The Print Shop, LLC
- Night & Day, LLC vs. Night and Day, LLC
- Peter Paul & Mary Studios, LLC vs. Peter-Paul-Mary Studios, Inc
- Three Teachers Consulting, LLC vs. 3 Teachers Consulting, LLC
Searching the Arkansas Name Database
1. Go to the Business Entity Search page.
2. In the “Corporation Type” drop down list, leave “All Types” selected.
3. Enter your desired LLC name in the “Name” box. Leave out the ending “LLC” and any punctuation. Capitalization doesn’t matter.
Tip: To be thorough, just enter the first word or two of your LLC name to ensure you see everything that is potentially similar. (Ex: if your desired LLC name is “Johnny Apple Farm LLC”, just enter “Johnny Apple”).
4. Leave the “Fictitious Name”, “Registered Agent”, “RA City”, and “Filing #” blank. You can also ignore the “RA State” drop down list.
5. Click the “Search” button and browse the list of existing Arkansas businesses:
- If “There were no records found“ appears in the search results, that means your desired LLC name is available for use.
- If the results show names that are not too similar to yours (meaning yours is distinguishable), then your desired LLC name is available for use.
- If your desired LLC name appears in the list exactly as you want it, your desired LLC name is not available for use. You’ll need to think of a new name or use some creativity and come up with a unique variation.
- If the results show a name that is deceptively similar to your desired LLC name, your desired LLC name is not available for use. You’ll need to think of a new name or use some creativity and come up with a unique variation.
Pro tip: Arkansas lets you check your LLC name availability by phone. Just call 501-682-3409 and a representative will help you.
Once you find an LLC name that is unique and distinguishable, you’re ready to select your LLC’s Registered Agent. We’ll discuss this in the next lesson: Arkansas Registered Agent.
And check out TRUIC’s business name generator if you need help coming up with an LLC name.
Arkansas Secretary of State Contact Info
If you have any questions, you can contact the Arkansas Secretary of State:
888-233-0325 (toll-free phone)