Deal alert! Northwest, our favorite company, is forming
LLCs for $39 (60% off!) See details.
The first step to forming an LLC in Arkansas is to search your desired LLC name and make sure it’s available for use.
Arkansas LLC Name Requirements
Before searching your LLC name in Arkansas, there are a few requirements you need to know:
1. The abbreviations “LLC” or “L.L.C.” must be used at the end of your name. The abbreviation “LLC” is the most common.
2. Because an LLC is not a Corporation, your desired name cannot use the word “Corporation”, “Incorporated,” or their abbreviations (“Corp.”, “Inc.”).
3. Your desired LLC name must be distinguishable. This means it must be different and unique from all other businesses registered in Arkansas.
Differences in designators (the identifiers at the end of a business name) and differences in grammar do not create distinguishability.
Need to save time? Hire a company to form your LLC:
Northwest ($39 + state fee) or LegalZoom ($149 + state fee)
(check out Northwest vs LegalZoom)
- LLC, L.L.C, Inc., Corp.
- singular, plural, and possessive
- A, An, The
- and, or, &
- hyphens, slashes, periods, commas
- three vs. 3
The following examples are NOT distinguishable:
- Smith Investments, LLC vs. Smith Investments, Inc.
- Apple Farm, LLC vs. Apple Farms, LLC
- Print Shop, LLC vs. The Print Shop, LLC
- Night & Day, LLC vs. Night and Day, LLC
- Peter Paul & Mary Studios, LLC vs. Peter-Paul-Mary Studios, Inc
- Three Teachers Consulting, LLC vs. 3 Teachers Consulting, LLC
Searching the Arkansas Name Database
1. Go to the Business Entity Search page.
2. In the “Corporation Type” drop down list, leave “All Types” selected.
3. Enter your desired LLC name in the “Name” box. Leave out the ending “LLC” and any punctuation. Capitalization doesn’t matter.
Tip: To be thorough, just enter the first word or two of your LLC name to ensure you see everything that is potentially similar. (Ex: if your desired LLC name is “Johnny Apple Farm LLC”, just enter “Johnny Apple”).
4. Leave the “Fictitious Name”, “Registered Agent”, “RA City”, and “Filing #” blank. You can also ignore the “RA State” drop down list.
5. Click the “Search” button and browse the list of existing Arkansas businesses:
- If “There were no records found“ appears in the search results, that means your desired LLC name is available for use.
- If the results show names that are not too similar to yours (meaning yours is distinguishable), then your desired LLC name is available for use.
- If your desired LLC name appears in the list exactly as you want it, your desired LLC name is not available for use. You’ll need to think of a new name or use some creativity and come up with a unique variation.
- If the results show a name that is deceptively similar to your desired LLC name, your desired LLC name is not available for use. You’ll need to think of a new name or use some creativity and come up with a unique variation.
Pro tip: Arkansas lets you check your LLC name availability by phone. Just call 501-682-3409 and a representative will help you.
Once you find an LLC name that is unique and distinguishable, you’re ready to select your LLC’s Registered Agent. We’ll discuss this in the next lesson: Arkansas Registered Agent.
And check out TRUIC’s business name generator if you need help coming up with an LLC name.
Arkansas Secretary of State Contact Info
If you have any questions, you can contact the Arkansas Secretary of State:
888-233-0325 (toll-free phone)
Arkansas Secretary of State: Business Services FAQ
Arkansas LLC Act: 4-38-112 (Permitted Names)
Arkansas LLC Act: 4-38-114 (Registration of Name)
ARKANSAS LLC GUIDE
Follow the lessons below to form your Arkansas LLC.
2 comments on “Arkansas Name Search”
Disclaimer: Nothing on this page shall be interpreted as legal or tax advice. Rules and regulations vary by location. They also change over time and are specific to your situation. Furthermore, this comment section is provided so people can share their thoughts and experience. Please consult a licensed professional if you have legal or tax questions.
Thank you so much Matt!!! I live in Arkansas and was able to understand how to set up my LLC with your help. Again thank you!
You’re very welcome Alexis!! So awesome to hear that :)