Note: Illinois LLC fees have been reduced. If you see higher state fees on another website, that information is outdated. For details on the new fees, please see: Illinois LLC filing fees reduced
Filing an Illinois LLC Annual Report
After you form an LLC in Illinois, you must file an Annual Report and pay a $75 fee every year.
You need to file your Annual Report in order to keep your Illinois LLC in compliance and in good standing with the Illinois Secretary of State.
Illinois LLC Annual Report fee:
$75 per year. This is paid once per year for the life of your LLC.
Annual Report due date:
Your Illinois LLC Annual Report is due before the first day of your LLC’s anniversary month.
Your LLC’s anniversary month is the month that your LLC was approved by the Illinois Secretary of State.
For example, if your LLC was formed on June 15th 2024, June is your anniversary month. Therefore, next year in 2025, your LLC’s Annual Report is due before June 1st 2025. Then every year going forward, it’s also due before June 1st.
However, instead of waiting until your anniversary month to file, we recommend filing as early as possible in order to avoid a potential $100 penalty (discussed in more detail below).
Where can I find my Illinois LLC’s anniversary date?
You can find an Illinois LLC anniversary date two ways:
- Look for the date on your approved Articles of Organization
- Search your LLC name on the Illinois Corporation & LLC Search page and look for “Organization/Admission Date“
How early can I file my Annual Report?
You can file your LLC’s Annual Report 45 days before the 1st day of your LLC’s anniversary month.
Using our example from above, if your LLC’s anniversary month is June, that means you can file your Annual Report as early as the middle of April.
Methods of filing
You can file your LLC’s Annual Report by mail or online.
The Illinois LLC Annual Report fee is $75 regardless of the method of filing you choose.
Illinois LLC Annual Report by mail
If you file your Annual Report by mail, it takes the Illinois Secretary of State 10-15 business days to process your filing.
Illinois LLC Annual Report online
If you file your Annual Report online, your filing is processed immediately.
You will find instructions below for both the mail filing and the online filing.
What will I get back from the state?
If you file your Annual Report by mail, by default, the Illinois Secretary of State doesn’t send you back any proof or confirmation. However, if you send the state 2 copies of your Annual Report along with a self-addressed stamped envelope, they’ll send you back a confirmation in the mail.
If you file your Annual Report online, you’ll be able to save and print a confirmation page. Additionally, the Illinois Secretary of State will email you a confirmation.
Penalty for late Illinois LLC Annual Report:
If your Annual Report is 60 days late:
The state charges a $100 penalty, which is on top of the base fee. Meaning, in addition to the $75 Annual Report, you’re also paying a $100 penalty ($175 total).
Important: The penalty used to be $300, but the Illinois LLC Act was amended by House Bill 4578 (Section 50-15). The LLC Annual Report late penalty is now $100.
If your Annual Report is 180 days late:
The Secretary of State will administratively dissolve (shut down) your LLC.
Annual Report Reminders:
Annual Report forms and reminders will be mailed to your Registered Agent 45 days before they are due.
If you plan to file your Annual Report online, you can ignore the Annual Report forms the state mails with the reminder.
Important: Even if no reminder is sent, it’s still your responsibility to file your LLC Annual Report on time every year. For that reason, we recommend putting a repeating reminder on your phone and/or calendar.
How to file an Illinois LLC Annual Report online
1. Start here: LLC Annual Report Filings
2. Enter your LLC’s File Number and click “Continue“.
You can find your LLC’s File Number on the Welcome Letter you received from the state, or by searching your LLC name here and looking for “File Number” at the top.
3. Confirm that the above LLC is correct, then click “Continue“.
4. Review that your Registered Agent information is correct and then click “Continue“.
Note: You can’t change your Registered Agent during this online filing. If you need to change your Registered Agent, you must do so using a different form (Change of Registered Agent) and file it by mail.
5. Review your Principal Place of Business address. If no changes are needed, select “Yes” and then click “Continue“. If changes are needed, select “No“, update your information, and then click “Continue“.
6. Review the names and addresses of the LLC’s Members or Managers.
Confirm whether the information is correct and whether or not you need to add more Members or Managers. Then click “Continue“.
- Related article: Difference between LLC Members and Managers
7. Select which Member/Manager is submitting the LLC’s Annual Report.
If the person filing this Annual Report is an individual person, select “No” at the bottom.
If the person filing this Annual Report is a company, select “Yes” at the bottom and then enter the name and title of the person signing on behalf of the company.
Then click “Continue“.
8. Enter the name of the person paying (must match credit card info). Then enter their phone number, email address, and then click “Continue“.
9. Review your information and click “Proceed to Payment“. Then enter your credit card information and your phone number. Click “Next” to submit your payment and file your Annual Report with the Secretary of State.
Congratulations! Your Illinois LLC Annual Report has been successfully filed online.
Processing Time and Verification (online filing)
When filing online, your Annual Report is processed right after payment is made. Then a few minutes later you will receive an email from the state. The email will include a receipt and a copy of your filed Annual Report.
You can now proceed to the next lesson.
How to file an Illinois LLC Annual Report by mail
Download the Illinois Annual Report Form (Form LLC-50.1):
Illinois Annual Report Form (Form LLC-50.1)
How to Complete the Annual Report Form
1. Enter the name of your LLC. Then the name and address of your Illinois Registered Agent. The address of your Registered Agent must be located in Illinois. The address must be a street address.
2. Enter “Illinois” on the first line and then enter the date your LLC was formed. You can find this date on your stamped and approved Articles of Organization or by searching your LLC name here and looking for the “File Date“.
3. Enter your LLC’s Principal Place of Business address (PO boxes are not allowed). This address can be located in Illinois or it can be located in any state.
4. Enter the name and address of your LLC’s Managers or Members.
Tip: Most LLCs are Member-Managed. If you don’t understand Member-managed LLCs vs. Manager-managed LLCs, please see this article: Member-managed vs Manager-managed.
5. Nothing needs to be entered here.
6. Nothing needs to be entered here. This statement is just letting you know that you can’t change your Registered Agent with the Annual Report form. If you need to change your Registered Agent, you must do so using a different form (Change of Registered Agent).
7. Enter today’s date. Then sign your name above “Signature” and enter your name and title above “Name and Title” (Ex: John Doe, Member or John Doe, Manager).
“If applicant is a company or other entity…” – You can leave this blank. This doesn’t apply to most filers.
Payment and Mailing Instructions for Illinois Annual Report
Prepare a check (personal checks are accepted) or money order for $75 and make payable to “Secretary of State”.
Mail your $75 fee along with your completed Annual Report to:
Secretary of State
Department of Business Services
Limited Liability Division
501 S 2nd Street, Room 351
Springfield, IL 62756
Congratulations, your Illinois LLC Annual Report has been filed for processing!
Processing Time and Verification (mail filing)
The state will process your Annual Report within 10-15 business days. They do not send anything back in the mail as a receipt. Your cancelled check will serve as your receipt.
If you’d like a more official receipt, send 2 copies of your Annual Report along with a self-addressed stamped envelope. The state will mail you back an approved copy of Annual Report.
Once you’ve reviewed this lesson or filed your LLC Illinois Annual Report, you can then proceed to the next lesson: Illinois Business Licenses & Permits.
Illinois Secretary of State Contact Info
If you have any questions, you can contact the Illinois Secretary of State at 217-782-6961. If you can’t get through on the above number, call 217-782-6875 and ask to be transferred to the Limited Liability Department.
Illinois Secretary of State: LLC Annual Report Instructions
Illinois Secretary of State: Illinois LLC Annual Report (LLC-50.1)
Illinois General Assembly: Public Act 100-0753 (HB4578 Enrolled)
Illinois General Assembly: Limited Liability Company Act (805 ILCS 180)
Matt holds a Bachelor's Degree in business from Drexel University with a concentration in business law. He performs extensive research and analysis to convert state laws into simple instructions anyone can follow to form their LLC - all for free! Read more about Matt Horwitz and LLC University.