Last updated October 31, 2020
Kansas LLC Name Search
How to form an LLC in Kansas
This Quick Start Guide is a brief overview of how to form an LLC in Kansas.
Kansas LLC costs:
LLC formation cost: $165 by mail or $160 online (one-time fee)
Annual report: $55 by mail or $50 online (every year)
★ Check out Northwest vs LegalZoom
The first step to forming an LLC in Kansas is to search your desired LLC name and make sure it is available for use.
Your Kansas LLC name must be unique and must follow certain state requirements.
Kansas LLC Name Requirements
Before searching your LLC name in Kansas, there are a few requirements you need to know:
1. The abbreviations “LLC” or “L.L.C.” must be used at the end of your Kansas LLC name. The abbreviation “LLC” is the most common.
2. Because a Kansas LLC is not a Corporation, your desired LLC name cannot use the word “Corporation”, “Incorporated,” or their abbreviations (“Corp.” or “Inc.”).
3. Your desired LLC name must be distinguishable. This means it must be different and unique from all other businesses registered in Kansas.
Differences in designators, which are the identifiers at the end of a business name (LLC, Inc., etc.) do not create distinguishability.
Differences in grammar also do not create distinguishability.
• LLC, L.L.C, Inc., Corp.
• singular, plural, and possessive
• A, An, The
• and, or, &
• hyphens, slashes, periods, commas
• three vs. 3
The following examples are NOT distinguishable:
– Smith Investments, LLC vs. Smith Investments, Inc.
– Apple Farm, LLC vs. Apple Farms, LLC
– Print Shop, LLC vs. The Print Shop, LLC
– Night & Day, LLC vs. Night and Day, LLC
– Peter Paul & Mary Studios, LLC vs. Peter-Paul-Mary Studios, Inc
– Three Teachers Consulting, LLC vs. 3 Teachers Consulting, LLC
Northwest ($39 + state fee) or LegalZoom ($149 + state fee)
(check out Northwest vs LegalZoom)
Searching the Kansas Name Databases
Kansas has two ways you can search your desired LLC name.
You can use the Name Availability Search for a quick “yes/no” answer.
Or you can use the Business Entity Search Station to browse all the businesses and make sure your name is truly unique.
We have provided instructions below on how to use both.
Name Availability Search
1. Visit the Name Availability Search page
Kansas Business Center: Name Availability Status
2. Search your LLC
On the right side of the page you will see a box with the title “Is the Name Available”.
Enter your LLC name exactly as you would like it, including your preferred capitalization, as well as the designator “LLC” or “L.L.C.” (the abbreviation “LLC” is the most common).
You can use a comma in your LLC name or you can leave it out. Ex: “ABC Widgets, LLC” and “ABC Widgets LLC” are both acceptable.
3. Determine Availability
Click the ‘Search’ button:
• If an “is available” message appears, that means your desired Kansas LLC name is unique and available for use.
• If an “is not available” message appears, that means your desired Kansas LLC name is not available for use. You’ll need to think of a new name or use some creativity and come up with a unique variation.
Note: If your name is available, the state will prompt you to file a Name Reservation for $30. This is not a required step when forming an LLC in Kansas. You can reserve your name if you’re not ready to form your LLC, or you can just proceed with our lessons and file your formation documents with the state.
Business Entity Search Station
1. Visit the Business Entity Search Station (BESS)
Start here: Business Entity Search Station (BESS): Perform a Search
Click “Business Entity Database”, then click “By business entity name”.
2. Search your LLC
Enter your desired LLC name in the “Name of Business” search box.
• Leave out the ending “LLC” and any punctuation.
• Capitalization doesn’t matter.
• To be thorough, just enter the first word or two of your LLC name to ensure you see everything that is potentially similar. (Ex: if your desired Kansas LLC name is “Johnny Apple Farm LLC”, just enter “johnny apple”).
• To be even more thorough, just enter a part of the first word. (Ex: if your desired Kansas LLC name is “Printing Solutions LLC”, just enter “print”).
3. Browse the Results
Click the “Search” button and browse the list of existing Kansas businesses:
• If a “The name or number you searched for was not found in the business entity database” message appears, that means your desired LLC name is unique and available for use.
• If the results show names that are not too similar to yours (meaning yours is distinguishable), then your desired LLC name is available for use.
• If your desired LLC name appears exactly as you want it in the search results, your desired Kansas LLC name is not available for use. You’ll need to think of a new name or use some creativity and come up with a unique variation.
• If the search results show a name that is deceptively similar to your desired LLC name, your desired Kansas LLC name is not available for use. You’ll need to think of a new name or use some creativity and come up with a unique variation.
Tip: If you’re not 100% sure that your desired Kansas LLC name is distinguishable, just file your paperwork with the state. If your name is not available, the state of Kansas will send back your filing and let you know that the name needs to be changed.
Next Step: LLC Registered Agent
Once you find a Kansas LLC name that is unique and distinguishable, you’re ready to select your LLC’s Registered Agent. We’ll discuss this in the next lesson: Kansas LLC Registered Agent.
Kansas Secretary of State Contact Info
If you have any questions, you can contact the Kansas Secretary of State at 785-296-4564.