Home » Kansas LLC

Last updated August 18, 2021

Deal alert! Our favorite company, Northwest, is forming LLCs for $39 (60% off!)

How to Form an LLC in Kansas

How to form an LLC in Kansas ← you are here
This Quick Start Guide is a brief overview of how to form an LLC in Kansas.

Detailed Lessons:


Kansas LLC costs:
LLC formation cost: $165 by mail or $160 online (one-time fee)
Annual report: $55 by mail or $50 online (every year)

Need help?
Hire a company to form your Kansas LLC:
Northwest ($39 + state fee) or LegalZoom ($149 + state fee)

★ Check out Northwest vs LegalZoom

Here is a quick overview on starting an LLC in Kansas

How to Form an LLC in KansasA Kansas Limited Liability Company (LLC) is a legal structure used to protect your personal assets (home, car, bank account) in the event your business is sued.

An LLC can be used to operate a business, or an LLC can be used to hold assets (such as real estate, vehicles, boats, or aircraft).

Forming an LLC in Kansas is simple. Search your Kansas LLC name in the state database and select your Registered Agent.

File your Articles of Organization with the Kansas Secretary of State and wait for your LLC to be approved.

If you file your LLC by mail, the filing fee is $165 and approval time is 3-5 business days. If you file your LLC online, the filing fee is $160 and the approval time is 24 hours or less.

Note: Filing times may take longer due to the current global situation and government delays. Please see how long does it take to get an LLC in Kansas.

After your Kansas LLC is approved, complete your Operating Agreement and get your Federal Tax ID Number (aka EIN) from the IRS.

In order to keep your Kansas LLC in compliance, you also need to file an LLC Annual Report every year. The fee is $55 if you file by mail and $50 if you file online.

We’ve created a free course that will walk you through forming your Kansas LLC, step-by-step.

You can find the detailed lessons linked at the top of this page.

Need to save time? Hire a professional to form your LLC in Kansas:
Northwest ($39 + state fee) or LegalZoom ($149 + state fee)

(check out Northwest vs LegalZoom)

Matt Horwitz
Matt Horwitz
Founder & Educator, LLC University®
Matt Horwitz has been the leading expert on LLC education for the past decade. He founded LLC University in 2010 after realizing people needed simple and actionable instructions to start an LLC that other companies weren't offering. He's cited by Entrepreneur Magazine, Yahoo Finance, and the US Chamber of Commerce, and was featured by CNBC and InventRight.
Matt holds a Bachelor's Degree in business from Drexel University with a concentration in business law. He performs extensive research and analysis to convert state laws into simple instructions anyone can follow to form their LLC - all for free! Read more about Matt Horwitz and LLC University.

6 comments on “Kansas LLC”

Disclaimer: Nothing on this page shall be interpreted as legal or tax advice. Rules and regulations vary by location. They also change over time and are specific to your situation. Furthermore, this comment section is provided so people can share their thoughts and experience. Please consult a licensed professional if you have legal or tax questions.

  1. My Son in law and I are starting a snow removal and lawn mowing business. I went on line and got an EIN Number. I think i got the cart before the horse. We want to form an LLC, and I did not put LLC in the name of the business. What do I need to do next?

    • Hey Kent, just cancel the EIN, then form an LLC and wait for it to be approved. After your Kansas LLC is approved, then apply for an EIN using the instructions we’ve provided in our lesson. I recommend following our Kansas LLC lessons in order. Hope that helps!

  2. I’m trying to start a small business and I got my Kansas tax ID number and I want to be LLC what steps do I need to take and I already have my company name and I still be able to use that

    • Hi Joshua, if you follow the “Detailed Lessons” links at the top of this page, it’ll walk you through how to form an LLC in Kansas. After your LLC is approved, you’ll apply for an EIN from the IRS. Then you’ll need a new Kansas Tax ID Number. The one you have now is attached to you personally as a Sole Proprietorship (please see Sole Proprietorship vs LLC). If by company name you mean a DBA (Doing Business As), yes, you’ll be able to use that same name for your LLC (with “LLC” at the end). Hope that helps.

  3. Hi Matt,

    Im forming an LLC in Kansas and one in Missouri. Do you have instructions or a sample package of what documents are needed to keep both LLCs in compliance? to keep the corporate veil in compliance. Thanks.

    • Hi Mac, you can keep the Kansas LLC in compliance with the Secretary of State by filing the Kansas LLC Annual Report. Missouri LLCs don’t have an Annual Report with the Secretary of State. It’s a good idea to work with an accountant to file your taxes properly, however, that doesn’t really impact the corporate veil. The corporate veil remains in tact by not committing fraud or doing anything illegal. Additionally, make sure to open an LLC bank account for each LLC and treat the LLCs as separate entities (ex: don’t commingle money).

Leave a comment or question

Comments are temporarily disabled.