Last updated on
New Mexico LLC Name Search
How to form an LLC in New Mexico
This Quick Start Guide is a brief overview of how to form an LLC in New Mexico.
New Mexico LLC costs:
LLC formation: $50 (one-time fee)
Annual report: None
(check out Northwest vs LegalZoom)
The first step to forming an LLC in New Mexico is to search your desired LLC name and make sure it is available for use.
Your New Mexico LLC name must be unique and must follow certain state requirements.
New Mexico LLC Name Requirements
Before searching your LLC name in New Mexico, there are a few requirements you need to know:
1. The abbreviations “LLC” or “L.L.C.” must be used at the end of your New Mexico LLC name. The abbreviation “LLC” is the most common.
2. Because a New Mexico LLC is not a Corporation, your desired LLC name cannot use the word “Corporation”, “Incorporated,” or their abbreviations (“Corp.”, “Inc.”).
3. Your desired LLC name must be distinguishable. This means it must be different and unique from all other businesses registered in New Mexico.
Differences in designators (the identifiers at the end of a business name) and differences in grammar do not create distinguishability.
• LLC, L.L.C, Inc., Corp.
• singular, plural, and possessive
• A, An, The
• and, or, &
• hyphens, slashes, periods, commas
• three vs. 3
The following examples are NOT distinguishable:
– Smith Investments, LLC vs. Smith Investments, Inc.
– Apple Farm, LLC vs. Apple Farms, LLC
– Print Shop, LLC vs. The Print Shop, LLC
– Night & Day, LLC vs. Night and Day, LLC
– Peter Paul & Mary Studios, LLC vs. Peter-Paul-Mary Studios, Inc
– Three Teachers Consulting, LLC vs. 3 Teachers Consulting, LLC
Northwest ($39 + state fee) or LegalZoom ($149 + state fee)
(check out Northwest vs LegalZoom)
Searching the New Mexico Name Database
1. Visit the Database
Go to the Business Search page: https://portal.sos.state.nm.us/BFS/online/CorporationBusinessSearch
2. Search your LLC
Leave “Starts with” selected. Then enter your desired LLC name in the “Entity Name” search box and click the “Search” button.
• Leave out the designator (“LLC”, “L.L.C.”, etc.) and leave out any punctuation.
• Capitalization doesn’t matter. You can search in uppercase or lowercase.
• To be thorough, just enter the first word or two of your LLC name to ensure you see everything that is potentially similar. (Ex: if your desired New Mexico LLC name is “Johnny Apple Farm LLC”, just enter “johnny apple”).
• To be even more thorough, just enter a part of the first word. (Ex: if your desired New Mexico LLC name is “Printing Solutions LLC”, just enter “print”).
3. Browse the Results
Click the “Search” button and browse the list of existing New Mexico businesses:
• If the results show names that are not too similar to yours (meaning yours is distinguishable), then your desired LLC name is available for use.
• If a “No data found.” popup message appears, that means your desired LLC name is unique and available for use.
• If your desired LLC name appears in the list exactly as you want it, your desired New Mexico LLC name is not available for use. You’ll need to think of a new name or use some creativity and come up with a unique variation.
• If the results show a name that is deceptively similar to yours, your desired New Mexico LLC name is not available for use. You’ll need to think of a new name or use some creativity and come up with a unique variation.
Tip 1: The back button in your web browser will not work if you need to go back to the search page. Use the “back” button at the bottom of the results page instead.
Tip 2: If you’re not 100% sure that your desired New Mexico LLC name is distinguishable, just file your paperwork with the state. If your name is not available, the New Mexico Secretary of State will send back your filing and let you know that the name needs to be changed.
Important: Do not apply for your Federal Tax ID Number (EIN) until your LLC is approved. Also, do not purchase a domain name, business cards, letterhead, signs, marketing materials, etc., until the New Mexico Secretary of State has approved your LLC.
Once you find a New Mexico LLC name that is unique and distinguishable, you’re ready to select your LLC’s Registered Agent. We’ll discuss this in the next lesson: New Mexico LLC Registered Agent.
New Mexico Secretary of State Contact Info
If you have any questions, you can contact the New Mexico Secretary of State at 505-827-4508 (Monday – Friday: 8am – 5pm).