Business License in Oklahoma

Home » Oklahoma LLC » Business License in Oklahoma

Need to save time?

Hire a company to form your LLC:
Northwest ($39 + state fee)
LegalZoom ($149 + state fee)

Deal alert! Our favorite company, Northwest, is forming LLCs for $39 (60% off!) See details.

After you form an Oklahoma LLC, you need to comply with any county and city license and permit requirements.

Your requirements are determined by the industry you are in and where your Oklahoma LLC is located.

Not complying with license and permit requirements is risky and can result in penalties and fines, or worse, not being able to conduct business in Oklahoma.

Types of licenses & permits you may need in Oklahoma

Below are some license and permit examples your Oklahoma LLC may need:

  • City business licenses/tax permits
  • Building permit
    Health permit
  • Occupational permit
  • Signage permit
  • Alarm permit
  • Zoning permit
  • Alcohol & tobacco permit
  • Liquor license
  • Sales and use tax permit
  • Seller/reseller permit
Need Help? If you don’t want to make phone calls and determine your licensing requirements yourself, we recommend hiring IncFile.

Do it yourself in Oklahoma

No State Business License in Oklahoma
The State of Oklahoma does not have a general, state-level business license. Instead, business licenses are issued at the local level and depend on the type of business your LLC engages in.

Oklahoma Department of Commerce (Licensing Page)
For help figuring out which licenses your Oklahoma LLC needs, visit (see industries listed near bottom of page) or call their customer service team at 405-815-5345.

Sales Tax Permits
If you are a reseller, a retailer, or you sell tangible/physical property, you need to obtain a sales tax permit from the Ohio Tax Commission:
Business Sales Tax
Oklahoma Sales Tax Information and Rates

Contact the Oklahoma County Where Your LLC is Located
Since licenses and permits for Oklahoma LLCs are controlled at the local level, we recommend contacting the county where you do business. You can find all the Oklahoma counties here: also recommend contacting the city where you do business as well.

Occupational Licenses are not Business Licenses
Oklahoma requires occupational licenses for certain trades and professionals, typically those which require a state license to practice (medical, legal, accounting, etc.). These occupational licenses are a requirement to practice these professions, but are not to be confused with a local license to conduct business. If you are required to hold an occupational license in Oklahoma, you may also be required to obtain a local business license as well.

Next Step

After you’ve researched and obtained the proper licenses and permits for your Oklahoma LLC, you can then proceed to the next lesson: Oklahoma LLC Taxes.

Matt Horwitz

Matt Horwitz
Founder & Educator, LLC University®
Matt Horwitz has been the leading expert on LLC education for the past decade. He founded LLC University in 2010 after realizing people needed simple and actionable instructions to start an LLC that other companies weren't offering. He's cited by Entrepreneur Magazine, Yahoo Finance, and the US Chamber of Commerce, and was featured by CNBC and InventRight.
Matt holds a Bachelor's Degree in business from Drexel University with a concentration in business law. He performs extensive research and analysis to convert state laws into simple instructions anyone can follow to form their LLC - all for free! Read more about Matt Horwitz and LLC University.

2 comments on “Business License in Oklahoma”

Disclaimer: Nothing on this page shall be interpreted as legal or tax advice. Rules and regulations vary by location. They also change over time and are specific to your situation. Furthermore, this comment section is provided so people can share their thoughts and experience. Please consult a licensed professional if you have legal or tax questions.

  1. I was wondering where to find out if the state of Oklahoma requires liability insurance on your LLC.

    • Hi Audra, not to my knowledge, but you can always call the Oklahoma Secretary of State’s office to double check. Hope that helps.

Leave a comment or question

Comments are temporarily disabled.