Deal alert! Northwest, our favorite company, is forming
LLCs for $39 (60% off!) See details.
The first step to forming an LLC in Oklahoma is to search your desired LLC name and make sure it is available for use.
Your Oklahoma LLC name must be unique and must follow certain state requirements.
Oklahoma LLC Name Requirements
Before searching your LLC name in Oklahoma, there are a few requirements you need to know.
1. The abbreviations “LLC” or “L.L.C.” must be used at the end of your Oklahoma LLC name. The abbreviation “LLC” is the most common.
2. Because an Oklahoma LLC is not a Corporation, your desired LLC name cannot use the word “Corporation”, “Incorporated,” or their abbreviations (“Corp.”, “Inc.”).
3. Your desired LLC name must be distinguishable. This means it must be different and unique from all other businesses registered in Oklahoma.
Need to save time? Hire a company to form your LLC:
Northwest ($39 + state fee) or LegalZoom ($149 + state fee)
(check out Northwest vs LegalZoom)
Differences in designators (the identifiers at the end of a business name) and differences in grammar do not create distinguishability.
- LLC, L.L.C, Inc., Corp.
- singular, plural, and possessive
- A, An, The
- and, or, &
- hyphens, slashes, periods, commas
- three vs. 3
The following examples are NOT distinguishable:
- Smith Investments, LLC vs. Smith Investments, Inc.Apple Farm, LLC vs. Apple Farms, LLC
- Print Shop, LLC vs. The Print Shop, LLC
- Night & Day, LLC vs. Night and Day, LLC
- Peter Paul & Mary Studios, LLC vs. Peter-Paul-Mary Studios, Inc
- Three Teachers Consulting, LLC vs. 3 Teachers Consulting, LLC
Searching the Oklahoma Name Database
1. Visit the Oklahoma Database:
Go to the Business Entities Search page: https://www.sos.ok.gov/business/corp/records.aspx
2. Search your LLC:
Enter your desired LLC name in the “Organization Name” box and click the “magnifying glass” icon/button.
- Leave out the designator (“LLC”, “L.L.C.”, etc.) and leave out any punctuation.
- Capitalization doesn’t matter. You can search in uppercase or lowercase.
- To be thorough, just enter the first word or two of your LLC name to ensure you see everything that is potentially similar. (Ex: if your desired Oklahoma LLC name is “Johnny Apple Farm LLC”, just enter “johnny apple”).
- To be even more thorough, just enter a part of the first word. (Ex: if your desired Oklahoma LLC name is “Printing Solutions LLC”, just enter “print”).
3. Browse the Results:
Click the “Search” button and browse the list of existing Oklahoma businesses:
- If the results show names that are not too similar to yours (meaning yours is distinguishable), then your desired Oklahoma LLC name is available for use.
- If a “No results found for criteria” message appears, that means your desired Oklahoma LLC name is unique and available for use.
- If your desired LLC name appears in the list exactly as you want it, your desired Oklahoma LLC name is not available for use. You’ll need to think of a new name or use some creativity and come up with a unique variation.
- If the results show a name that is deceptively similar to yours, your desired Oklahoma LLC name is not available for use. You’ll need to think of a new name or use some creativity and come up with a unique variation.
Tip: If you’re not 100% sure if your desired Oklahoma LLC name is distinguishable, you can file your paperwork with the state. If your name is not available, the Oklahoma Secretary of State will send back your filing and let you know that the name needs to be changed. If you don’t want to waste time though, you can also contact the Secretary of State below.
Important: Do not apply for your Federal Tax ID Number (EIN) until your LLC is approved. Also, do not purchase a domain name, business cards, letterhead, signs, marketing materials, etc., until the Oklahoma Secretary of State approves your LLC.
Once you find a Oklahoma LLC name that is unique and distinguishable, you’re ready to select your LLC’s Registered Agent. We’ll discuss this in the next lesson: Oklahoma LLC Registered Agent.
And check out TRUIC’s business name generator if you need help coming up with an LLC name.
Oklahoma Secretary of State Contact Info
If you have any questions, you can contact the Oklahoma Secretary of State at 405-522-2520 (Monday – Friday: 8am – 5pm).
Oklahoma LLC Act, Section 18-2008/
Oklahoma Secretary of State: Steps to Start your Business
OKLAHOMA LLC GUIDE
Follow the lessons below to form your Oklahoma LLC.
6 comments on “Oklahoma Name Search”
Disclaimer: Nothing on this page shall be interpreted as legal or tax advice. Rules and regulations vary by location. They also change over time and are specific to your situation. Furthermore, this comment section is provided so people can share their thoughts and experience. Please consult a licensed professional if you have legal or tax questions.
If you go with Northwest to form your LLC, is their resident address in the state in which you are filing? On Oklahoma’s Articles of Organization, it says the address of the registered agent has to be in OK.
Hi Diane, great question. Northwest Registered Agent has offices in every state. If Northwest forms your LLC and acts as your Oklahoma Registered Agent, their Oklahoma address is used in your LLC’s Articles of Organization. Hope that helps.
I recently received an EIN number for my LLC. The name, i.e. “John do”, does not have an LLC at the end. Is it necessary and if so, what is the fastest way to change it?!
Hi Sydney, yes, I recommend getting that fixed. Rather than changing it, it’s easier to cancel the incorrect EIN (https://www.llcuniversity.com/irs/cancel-ein/) and then just get a new one online. Hope that helps.
After filling and the filling fee has been deducted from my account, how do i know my LLC is approved? Call or wait for approval letter in the mail?
Hi Eman, if you filed your Oklahoma LLC by mail, you’ll receive your approval back by mail in 7-10 business days. If you filed your LLC online, you’ll receive your approval back by email in 1-2 business days. Hope that helps!