Home » Rhode Island LLC

Last updated August 18, 2021

Deal alert! Our favorite company, Northwest, is forming LLCs for $39 (60% off!)

How to Form an LLC in Rhode Island

How to form an LLC in Rhode Island ← you are here
This Quick Start Guide is a brief overview of how to form an LLC in Rhode Island.

Detailed Lessons:


Rhode Island LLC costs:
LLC formation: $150 (one-time fee)
Annual report: $50 (every year)

Need help?
Hire a company to form your Rhode Island LLC:
Northwest ($39 + state fee) or LegalZoom ($149 + state fee)

★ Check out Northwest vs LegalZoom

Here is a quick overview on starting an LLC in Rhode Island

How to Form an LLC in Rhode IslandA Rhode Island Limited Liability Company (LLC) is a legal structure used to protect your personal assets (home, car, bank account) in the event your business is sued.

A Rhode Island LLC can be used to operate a business, or it can be used to hold assets (such as real estate, vehicles, boats, or aircraft).

Forming an LLC in Rhode Island is simple. Search your Rhode Island LLC name in the state database and select your Rhode Island Registered Agent.

Then file your Articles of Organization with the Rhode Island Secretary of State and wait for your LLC to be approved.

You can file your LLC by mail, online, or walk-in filing. The RI LLC filing fee is $150 in all 3 cases.

If you file by mail, your Rhode Island LLC will be approved in 2-3 business days. If you file online, your Rhode Island LLC will be approved in 1-2 business days. If you do the walk-in filing, your Rhode Island LLC will be approved in a few hours (or less).

Note: Filing times may take longer due to the current global situation and government delays. Please see how long does it take to get an LLC in Rhode Island.

After your Rhode Island LLC is approved, complete your Operating Agreement and get your Federal Tax ID Number (aka EIN) from the IRS. We provide a free operating agreement template and your EIN from the IRS is also free.

In order to keep your Rhode Island LLC in compliance with the RI Secretary of State, you need to file an Annual Report each year. The state fee is $50.

We’ve created a free course that will walk you through forming your Rhode Island LLC, step-by-step.

You can find the detailed lessons linked at the top of this page.

Need to save time? Hire a professional to form your LLC in Rhode Island:
Northwest ($39 + state fee) or LegalZoom ($149 + state fee)

(check out Northwest vs LegalZoom)

Matt Horwitz
Matt Horwitz
Founder & Educator, LLC University®
Matt Horwitz has been the leading expert on LLC education for the past decade. He founded LLC University in 2010 after realizing people needed simple and actionable instructions to start an LLC that other companies weren't offering. He's cited by Entrepreneur Magazine, Yahoo Finance, and the US Chamber of Commerce, and was featured by CNBC and InventRight.
Matt holds a Bachelor's Degree in business from Drexel University with a concentration in business law. He performs extensive research and analysis to convert state laws into simple instructions anyone can follow to form their LLC - all for free! Read more about Matt Horwitz and LLC University.

2 comments on “Rhode Island LLC”

Disclaimer: Nothing on this page shall be interpreted as legal or tax advice. Rules and regulations vary by location. They also change over time and are specific to your situation. Furthermore, this comment section is provided so people can share their thoughts and experience. Please consult a licensed professional if you have legal or tax questions.

  1. Hello,

    I’m in the process of launching an e-commerce business, in the yacht sales industry. I am struggling, trying to decide where to incorporate. Do you have any suggestions, based on the industry, in which, I’m intending to enter?


    Roman Kovbasniuk

    • Hi Roman, where an LLC should be formed/registered comes down to where it’s legally transacting business. If you’re going to run your business and work from home in Rhode Island, you’ll most likely be transacting business in Rhode Island. It’s also best practice to discuss something like this with an attorney. Hope that helps.

Leave a comment or question

Comments are temporarily disabled.