Starting a Business in Washington DC

Home » Articles » Starting a Business in Washington DC

Need to save time?

Hire a company to form your LLC:
Northwest ($39 + state fee)
LegalZoom ($149 + state fee)

Deal alert! Northwest will form your LLC for $39 (60% discount). See details.

There are 8 steps to starting a business in Washington DC:

  1. Choose a name for your business
  2. Choose the right type of business entity
  3. Register your business with the Department of Licensing and Consumer Protection
  4. Get your EIN Number (Federal Tax ID Number)
  5. Open a business bank account
  6. Register for taxes with the Office of Tax & Revenue
  7. Get a Certificate of Occupancy or a Home Occupation Permit
  8. Get a Basic Business License

We’ll show you how to complete each step below. We will also give you some tips to make starting your business in Washington DC easier.

Step 1: Choose a Name for Your DC Business

Choosing a name for your Washington DC business is not something you want to breeze through. In fact, rushing the process of choosing your business name can be a big mistake.

We recommend taking some time to choose a name people will remember and positively associate with your business.

To make sure your business is worth remembering, you should choose a name that:

  • rhymes or contains alliteration (ex: Piggly Wiggly, Dunkin’ Donuts)
  • speaks about the benefits of your business
  • you can say it with pride
  • is easy to pronounce
  • has a positive connotation for your potential customers
  • and ideally, is available as a “.com” domain name

By the way, the first bullet point above refers to the phonological loop. Your brain can better remember words that rhyme and sound similar.

For additional business naming tips, check out how to choose a good business name.

After you’ve thought of a few business names, you can search them on the District of Columbia Business Name Search. This search page is available within CorpOnline (an Access DC login is required).

How to find a good domain name:
Check out TRUIC’s Business Name Generator. Just enter one or two key terms relevant to your business, and the tool will come up with a list of domain names that are not only available, but are also easy to spell and remember.

Check out our Business Domain Name Guide for tips on picking a domain name and a step-by-step guide to buying the domain name through GoDaddy.

Step 2: Choose the Right Type of Business Entity

Next, you’ll need to decide the best type of legal structure for your Washington DC business.

The most common business structures are:

  • Sole Proprietorship
  • Partnership
  • Corporation
  • Limited Liability Company (LLC)

Sole Proprietorship in Washington DC: Happens when you operate your business as yourself. There is no separate legal entity created; the law treats you and your business as one person. You are responsible and personally liable for all business activities or wrongdoing.

Washington DC Partnership: The same thing as a Sole Proprietorship, but just with 2 or more people. Like a Sole Proprietorship, a Partnership doesn’t create a separate legal entity and the partners are responsible and personally liable for any business activity or wrongdoing.

Washington DC Corporation: A more complex legal structure that requires a board of directors, corporate officers, and shareholders. Corporations don’t usually work for most small business owners since they face double taxation. Corporations can be beneficial to companies that are looking to raise capital investment, take the company public, or have large healthcare expenses for their employees. The most common types of companies that form Corporations are high-growth technology and startup companies.

Unlike a Sole Proprietorship or a Partnership, a Corporation is a separate legal entity from its owners (called shareholders). It provides them with personal liability protection.

Washington DC LLC: A legal entity that combines the benefits of a Corporation and a Sole Proprietorship/Partnership.

An LLC in Washington DC is a separate legal entity under the law. And like a Corporation, it provides personal liability protection for the owners. If the LLC is sued, the owner’s personal assets – like their home, cars, and bank accounts – are protected. And like a Sole Proprietorship/Partnership, an LLC has pass-through taxation (so there’s no double taxation).

A District of Columbia LLC is the most popular option and a good choice for people who want to run a small business for two reasons:

  • Personal liability protection (personal assets are kept safe)
  • No double taxation

Unlike a Sole Proprietorship (and a Partnership), your District of Columbia LLC’s assets are separate and distinct from your personal assets. In the event your LLC gets sued, your personal assets are protected.

And unlike a Corporation, your LLC is not subject to double taxation. Instead, your LLC’s profits will “pass-through” to your personal tax return and federal taxes are paid just once.

For more details, on which is the best entity type for you, please see:
LLC vs Sole Proprietorship vs Corporation

If you want to form an LLC in Washington DC, we have instructions here: Washington DC LLC formation.

If you want to form a Corporation in Washington DC, you can file it yourself or you can hire a filing company.

Step 3: Register Your Business with the DLCP

You may need to file business formation documents with the Department of Licensing and Consumer Protection (DLCP) in order to properly register your business in the District.

Regardless of what type of business structure you choose in DC though, all businesses must obtain a Certificate of Occupancy or a Home Occupation Permit as well as get a Basic Business License (BBL). These are discussed further below on this page.

Washington DC LLC:

The cost to form a Washington DC LLC is $99.

Form: DLC-1 (Articles of Organization)

Biennial Report: In order for a DC LLC to remain in good standing, it must file a Biennial Report every 2 years. The LLC Biennial Report fee is $300.

Check out LLC Costs in the District of Columbia to learn about all the fees.

Washington DC Corporation:

For most people, the cost to form a Washington DC Corporation is $99.

Form: DBU-1 (Articles of Incorporation)

The $99 is the “starting” filing fee amount if your Corporation’s authorized capital is valued at $100,000 or less. Filing fees increase based on the value of the authorized capital:

  • authorized capital $100,000 or less = $99 filing fee
  • authorized capital $100,001 – $500,000 = $550 filing fee
  • authorized capital $500,001 – $1,000,000 = $1,100 filing fee
  • authorized capital $1,000,001 or more = $1,650 filing fee

Authorized capital: Authorized capital is simply the total value of all shares that your Corporation issues. To calculate: multiply the total number of shares (all classes) by the par value per share.

Biennial Report: In order for a DC Corporation to remain in good standing, it must file a Biennial Report every 2 years. The Corporation Biennial Report fee is $300.

Washington DC Sole Proprietorship or Partnership:

Unlike a Washington DC LLC and a Washington DC Corporation, if you choose to operate your business as a Sole Proprietorship (1 owner) or a Partnership (2 or more owners), you don’t have to file any “formation” documents with the DLCP.

However, if you would like for your Sole Proprietorship or Partnership to operate and do business under a name besides the first and last name of the owner(s), you’ll need to register a Trade Name in the District, also known as a DBA/”Doing Business As”.

For example: If John Doe wants to operate a Sole Proprietorship in Washington DC, but wants to operate under the name “John’s Remodeling Company”, he must register this as a Trade Name.

Washington DC Trade Name:

Form: TN-1 (Trade Name Registration Form)

Fee: The cost to register a Trade Name in DC is $55.

Renewal: Trade Names must be renewed every 2 years by April 1st. The form is called TN-2 (Trade Name Renewal Form) and the cost is $55.

Is a Trade Name needed for an LLC or Corporation?
If you’re going to form an LLC or Corporation in Washington DC and operate under the LLC or Corporation’s true name, you don’t have to file a Trade Name/DBA (unless you want your entity to do business under a name other than its true name).

For more information on whether or not a Trade Name/DBA is needed for your DC business, please see this article: Do I need a DBA?

Is there a newspaper publishing requirement for a DC Trade Name?
Unlike many states that require you to publish an ad in a newspaper after registering a Trade Name, this is not a requirement in Washington DC.

If you have any questions, you can contact the Washington DLCP:

Department of Licensing and Consumer Protection
Phone: 202-442-4400
Online Chat

Step 4: Get an EIN Number

An EIN Number is also known as an Employer Identification Number (EIN) or Federal Tax ID Number (FEIN). It is used by the IRS to identify your Washington DC business for tax purposes.

Think of your EIN Number as the “social security number” of your Washington DC business.

The EIN Number for your Washington DC business will be used to open a bank account, file taxes, get financing, and handle employee payroll (if applicable).

You can get an EIN for your Washington DC business by mail, fax, or online. Getting your EIN online is the fastest option, since it only takes about 15 minutes to complete the application. Apply online with the IRS EIN Application.

For instructions on how to complete the online EIN application for a Washington DC LLC, please see here: District of Columbia LLC EIN Number.

Note: Make sure your LLC or Corporation is approved before applying for an EIN Number.

Step 5: Open a Business Bank Account

A business bank account (and a business debit/credit card) for your Washington DC business is important because:

  • it keeps your personal assets separate from your business assets
  • accounting and finances will be easier to manage

One of the main reasons courts are able to “pierce the corporate veil” is due to the commingling of assets. This is when business and personal finances are mixed together.

Keeping the assets of your Washington DC business separate from your personal assets will make accounting and documenting expenses a lot easier as well.

To learn how to open a bank account for your Washington DC LLC, you can read this lesson: LLC business bank account

Your bank will provide you with a debit card after the account is open. You can also get a business credit card and earn cash back or other rewards.

Step 6: Register with the Office of Tax & Revenue (OTR)

After your Washington DC business is formed, you’re required to register it with the DC Office of Tax & Revenue (OTR).

Form: FR-500

Filing method:

  • Done online, via the OTR’s online filing portal called
  • Click “Register a New Business: Form FR-500” on the’s home page

Fee: Registering your Washington DC business for tax purposes is free.

By going through the FR-500, you will be answering a number of questions about your DC business. Based on your answers, the online system will register your business for its applicable taxes and let you know when they need to be filed.

Approval: Within about 1 week the OTR will mail you a Notice of Business Tax Registration as verification and approval.

Sales tax: If your Washington DC business will sell tangible personal property, you’re required to collect sales tax from your buyers.

Sales tax help: If you need help with your sales tax filings, we recommend using TaxJar.

Other taxes: The above is a general overview of tax registration in the District, however, there are far more details that go into taxes.

For example, you have to file D-40 (Individual Income Tax) every year as an individual, and depending on how your business is setup in DC, you may need to file either a:

  • D-20 (Corporation Franchise Tax Return),
  • D-30 (Unincorporated Business Franchise Tax Return), or
  • D-65 (Partnership Return of Income)

Personal Property Tax: All businesses located in Washington DC must file a FP-31 (Personal Property Tax Return) as well as a FP-31P (Personal Property Tax Return Payment Voucher) if payment is due. Everyone has to file the Personal Property Tax Return, but you’ll only owe a tax if the total value of your business’ personal property is $225,000 or more.

Our recommendation is to speak with an accountant:
We recommend working with an accountant to make sure you properly register your business for DC taxes, in addition to properly filing any federal, state, and local taxes for which you’re responsible.

Step 7: Certificate of Occupancy or Home Occupation Permit

All businesses in Washington DC must get either a Certificate of Occupancy or a Home Occupation Permit in order to legally operate. These permits are issued by the Department of Buildings.

If you don’t get a C of O or HOP, the District imposes fines and penalties.

Certificate of Occupancy (C of O): Used for commercial office space. If you own a commercial building or are developing a new one, you will need to apply for a new Certificate of Occupancy. If you plan to rent office space in DC, you likely don’t need to apply for a new Certificate of Occupancy. Instead, speak with the owner or management company and make sure their Certificate of Occupancy allows for your type of business to operate within its building. You’ll need a copy of their Certificate of Occupancy and/or their Certificate of Occupancy Number to put in your Basic Business License application later.

Home Occupation Permit (HOP): Used for residential space. You will need a Home Occupation Permit if you’re going to run your business from your home.

Online Filing:

You can apply for a Home Occupation Permit on the Department of Buildings website.

You can apply for a Certificate of Occupancy online if you’re filing a Change of Ownership type. Otherwise, you can apply for a Certificate of Occupancy by email.

Home Occupation Permit Fee: There is an application fee of $36.30 and an issuance fee of $36.30, for a total of $72.60.

Certificate of Occupancy Fee: There is an application fee ($36.30) and an issuance fee. Your final issuance fee will depend on the square footage of the building. It usually starts around $40 to $50. You won’t have to pay this fee if you’re renting office/commercial space and the building already has a Certificate of Occupancy.

Step 8: Get a Basic Business License

In addition to a Certificate of Occupancy or Home Occupation Permit, all businesses in Washington DC must also apply for a Basic Business License (BBL) in order to legally operate. If not, your business will be illegally operating without a license and the District will impose fines and penalties.

Before you can get a Basic Business License (BBL) for your business, you must:

  • have your business entity approval documents from the DLCP (LLCs and Corporations)
  • get an EIN Number from the IRS
  • register your business with the Office of Tax & Revenue
  • receive a Certificate of Occupancy or Home Occupation Permit

Then you can apply for your Basic Business License online at My DC Business Center.

Clean Hands Self-Certification: Part of the application process requires you to sign a Clean Hands Self-Certification stating that you (1) registered your business for taxes, and (2) don’t owe the Office of Tax & Revenue more than $100.

Fee: Basic Business License fees start around $200 and go up to $500 (and in some cases up to $1,000). The fees will depend on your business’ Endorsement Category. For example, a BBL for operating a rental property is $190 for 2 years and a BBL for the “general business” category is $325 for 2 years.

BBL Renewals: Your Basic Business License will be good for 2 years before it expires. You must renew your Basic Business License every 2 years and pay the renewal fee.

After Your Washington DC Business is Started…

1. Meet with a Local DC Business Expert for Free Counseling

Getting advice from others who’ve been there can be helpful in your entrepreneurial journey.

Here are some great organizations in Washington DC:

2. Start a Website

Having a website these days is very helpful for a Washington DC small business. It gives your company a professional feel and allows people to learn about your products and services.

Building a website can seem like a complicated process. And it will be if you don’t have the right information.

However, I’ve built over 130 websites and used to teach people how to use WordPress to build their website. WordPress (which is free) is the tool I use and recommend. It can be used to build simple websites or it can be used to build more complicated websites, like eCommerce websites.

There are 4 components to starting a website:

  • Domain registrar
  • Website hosting
  • WordPress
  • WordPress theme

Let’s use the “housing analogy”:

The domain registrar is where you purchase your domain name. Think of this as the label on the mailbox or your street address.

A website hosting company is where all the code, images, graphics, and text are stored that gets provided to the world. Think of this as the foundation of your home. It gives you the ability to build on top of it and display information to others.

WordPress is a CMS (content management system) which makes it easier to build a website. Rather than constructing your home from scratch, think of WordPress as a prefabricated home where you can easily resize rooms, move walls, and have complete flexibility in design and customization. WordPress – or the prefabricated home – “sits on top of” your foundation (the website hosting).

A WordPress theme is a “design skin” that sits on top of the WordPress CMS. If the WordPress CMS is the prefabricated home, think of the theme as all the interior decorations and painting. There are free WordPress themes, but I recommend against them for various technical reasons. Instead, I recommend using a premium WordPress theme. The difference between a free WordPress theme and a premium one is the difference between an amateur designer and a world-class professional designer.

Here are some links and prices to get you started:

Domain registrar: I recommend which is $10 per year (per domain name). This is the service we use as it includes domain privacy for free to keep your address and phone number off those public record websites. It’ll also help prevent those annoying telemarketing phone calls!

Website hosting: ($10 per month)

WordPress: This is automatically included (again, for free) with nearly every hosting company these days. After you sign up with SiteGround, just call them to help you install it. They’ll walk you through the steps.

WordPress theme: (one-time fee of $40 to $60 for a WordPress theme)

Note 1: Make sure you’re using the “” self-hosted version. Not the “” version, which is stripped down and comes with limitations on how much you can customize your website.

Note 2: If you need help selecting a theme from ThemeForest, here is an explanatory video I made:

How to Search for WordPress Themes on ThemeForest

3. Design a Logo and Get Business Cards

Designing a logo doesn’t have to be too complicated.

We recommend starting off with a “words only” logo to keep things simple (no need for any fancy graphics). You can choose the font family and color yourself, or get help from 99 Designs. A cheaper option is to use Fiverr.

For some great tips on using a tagline with your logo, check out Neville Medhora’s article, however, we recommend not even using a tagline (to start) in order to keep things simple. Besides, most people don’t really pay too much attention to a company’s tagline anyway.

And for business cards, I like using

4. Get a Business Phone Number

Instead of giving out/publishing your actual cell phone number (or home telephone number), it might be a good idea to get a “virtual business number” for your Washington DC business. You’ll be able to customize the number so it forwards to your cell phone.

Our favorite company is They have the cheapest plans and the best customer support.

You can get a local DC telephone number or you can get a 1-800 number for your business. lets you easily setup call forwarding to any number you like, create pre-recorded messages, and you can get your voicemails delivered to your email.

Getting a separate phone number for your Washington DC business is a good idea if you’d like to keep your actual phone number off of those annoying “public record” websites (and stop the spam phone calls).

I hope this guide has been helpful for you.

Matt Horwitz
Matt Horwitz
Matt Horwitz has been the leading expert on LLC education for the past decade. He founded LLC University in 2010 after realizing people needed simple and actionable instructions to start an LLC that other companies weren't offering. He's cited by Entrepreneur Magazine, Yahoo Finance, and the US Chamber of Commerce, and was featured by CNBC and InventRight.
Matt holds a Bachelor's Degree in business from Drexel University with a concentration in business law. He performs extensive research and analysis to convert state laws into simple instructions anyone can follow to form their LLC - all for free! Read more about Matt Horwitz and LLC University.

Want our free email course?

Get simple LLC lessons sent right to your inbox.

Thanks! You're subscribed √
Your email address is already subscribed.

Leave a comment or question

Comments are temporarily disabled.