Last updated on
Annual Report Instructions
How to form an LLC in Connecticut
This Quick Start Guide is a brief overview of how to form an LLC in Connecticut.
Connecticut LLC costs:
Connecticut state fee: $120 (one-time fee)
Annual report: $20 (every year)
(check out Northwest vs LegalZoom)
Every LLC in Connecticut is required to file an Annual Report every year.
The purpose of the Annual Report is to keep your LLC’s contact information updated with the state.
Method of Filing
Your LLC Annual Report can only be filed online.
Your Connecticut LLC Annual Report is due between January 1st and March 31st every year.
Meaning, January 1st is the earliest that you can file. And March 31st is the last day to file before it’s late.
Your first Annual Report is due the year following the year that your LLC was approved.
- If your LLC was approved on February 10th 2019, your first Annual Report is due by March 31st 2020
- If your LLC was approved on December 1st 2019, your first Annual Report is due by March 31st 2020
Then every year going forward, your Connecticut LLC’s Annual Report is due by March 31st.
3 ways to find your LLC’s approval date
- Look for the date on your LLC’s Acceptance Letter
- Search for your LLC on the state’s website (Connecticut Business Registry Search), click on your LLC name, look for the “Date Inc/Registration”
- Call the state at 860-509-6002 (hours are 8am – 4:30pm Eastern)
The state does not charge a late fee, but they will mark your LLC as “Not in Good Standing”, which could affect your ability to do business in Connecticut.
We recommend putting a repeating reminder on your calendar to make sure you file your Annual Report on time every year.
Connecticut LLC Annual Report Online Filing Instructions
1. Visit the state’s online filing system:
CT SOS: Business Service Division Online Filing System
2. Click the “File Annual Reports” button.
3. Agree to the terms by clicking the “Click to Acknowledge” button.
4. If you followed our lesson on filing your LLC Certificate of Organization and created a Login Name, click the “Advanced User/With Account” button.
If you did create a Login Name, click the “Express User/Without Account Setup” button.
5. If you have an account, enter your login name and password. If you don’t, enter your contact information and click “Continue”.
6. Click the “File Annual Reports” link.
7. Enter your LLC name in the “Business Name” box and click the “Search Business” button. Alternatively, you can search your LLC by its Business ID Number, which you can find in your Acceptance Letter.
Tip: If you’re having trouble locating your LLC, just enter the first word or two of your LLC name followed by an asterisk (*). For example, if your LLC name is “ABC Widgets LLC”, just enter “ABC*” in the “Business Name” box.
8. If only your LLC name appears, click the “Continue” button at the bottom. If multiple LLC names appear, click the “Select” button to the right of your LLC name and then click the “Continue” button.
Note: If you have no outstanding Annual Reports due from prior years, you will be taken right into the application. If you have outstanding Annual Reports due, select the oldest year first, file that and pay, and then repeat until you are up to date.
9. In the application you will notice a lot of your existing information. Fill in any blanks or make updates if your address has changed.
Enter your full name in the “Name of Authorizer” box and enter “Member” in the “Capacity of Authorizer” box, then click “Continue” to proceed.
Tip: Don’t enter anything in “County” box if your address is in the US, as it can cause errors in the application. Just leave it blank.
10. On the Principal Maintenance page, delete or add any members if there have been changes. If no changes have occurred, which is most likely, just click the “Continue” button.
11. Enter your billing information and click the “Pay Securely using Credit Card” button.
Note: the state does not accept debit cards, so you can only make payment with a credit card.
Congratulations, your Connecticut LLC Annual Report has been filed and processed!
You will see a success message, as well as receive a confirmation email.
There is nothing else you need to do here. Just make sure to file your Annual Report again next year.
Connecticut Secretary of State Contact Info
If you have any questions about your LLC’s Annual Report, you can contact the Connecticut Secretary of State:
860-509-6002, option 1 (8am – 4:30pm)
[email protected] (email)