Last updated on
Annual Report Instructions
How to form an LLC in Connecticut
This Quick Start Guide is a brief overview of how to form an LLC in Connecticut.
Connecticut LLC costs:
Connecticut state fee: $120 (one-time fee)
Annual report: $20 (every year)
(check out Northwest vs LegalZoom)
Every LLC in Connecticut is required to file an Annual Report every year.
The purpose of the Annual Report is to keep your LLC’s contact information updated with the state.
Method of Filing
Your Annual Report can only be filed online.
Your Annual Report is due every year by the end of your LLC’s Anniversary Month. Your Anniversary Month is the date the Secretary of the State approved your Certificate of Organization.
For example, if your LLC was approved on March 15th 2017, your Annual Report will be due by March 31st 2018, and then due by March 31st every year going forward.
How to Find Your Anniversary Month:
- Look for the date on your Acceptance Letter
- Search for your LLC here, click on your LLC name, look at the “Date Inc/Registration”
- Call the state at 860-509-6002 (8am – 4:30pm)
The state does not charge a late fee, but they will mark your LLC as “Not in Good Standing”, which could affect your ability to do business in Connecticut.
We recommend putting a repeating reminder on your calendar to make sure you file your Annual Report on time every year.
Connecticut LLC Annual Report Online Filing Instructions
1. Visit the state’s online filing system:
2. Click the “File Annual Reports” button.
3. Agree to the terms by clicking the “Click to Acknowledge” button.
4. If you followed our lesson on filing your Certificate of Organization and created a Login Name, click the “Advanced User/With Account” button.
If you did create a Login Name, click the “Express User/Without Account Setup” button.
5. If you have an account, enter your login name and password. If you don’t, enter your contact information and click “Continue”.
6. Click the “File Annual Reports” link.
7. Enter your LLC name in the “Business Name” box and click the “Search Business” button. Alternatively, you can search your LLC by its Business ID Number, which you can find in your Acceptance Letter.
Tip: If you’re having trouble locating your LLC, just enter the first word or two of your LLC name followed by an asterisk (*). For example, if your LLC name is “ABC Widgets LLC”, just enter “ABC*” in the “Business Name” box.
8. If only your LLC name appears, click the “Continue” button at the bottom. If multiple LLC names appear, click the “Select” button to the right of your LLC name and then click the “Continue” button.
Note: If you have no outstanding Annual Reports due from prior years, you will be taken right into the application. If you have outstanding Annual Reports due, select the oldest year first, file that and pay, and then repeat until you are up to date.
9. In the application you will notice a lot of your existing information. Fill in any blanks or make updates if your address has changed.
Enter your full name in the “Name of Authorizer” box and enter “Member” in the “Capacity of Authorizer” box, then click “Continue” to proceed.
Tip: Don’t enter anything in “County” box if your address is in the US, as it can cause errors in the application. Just leave it blank.
10. On the Principal Maintenance page, delete or add any members if there have been changes. If no changes have occurred, which is most likely, just click the “Continue” button.
11. Enter your billing information and click the “Pay Securely using Credit Card” button.
Note: the state does not accept debit cards, so you can only make payment with a credit card.
Congratulations, your Connecticut LLC Annual Report has been filed and processed!
You will see a success message, as well as receive a confirmation email.
There is nothing else you need to do here. Just make sure to file your Annual Report again next year.
Connecticut Secretary of State Contact Info
If you have any questions about your LLC’s Annual Report, you can contact the Connecticut Secretary of State:
860-509-6002, option 1 (8am – 4:30pm)
[email protected] (email)