Certificate of Organization
How to form an LLC in Connecticut
This Quick Start Guide is a brief overview of how to form an LLC in Connecticut.
Connecticut LLC costs:
Connecticut state fee: $120 (one-time fee)
Annual report: $20 (every year)
(check out Northwest vs LegalZoom)
In this lesson, we will walk you through filing your Certificate of Organization with the Connecticut Secretary of State. This is the document that officially forms your Connecticut LLC and allows you to do business in the state.
You can file your Certificate of Organization by mail or online. In both cases, the Connecticut LLC filing fee $120.
• If you file by mail, LLC approval time can be as quick as 7-10 business days. However, if their office is backed up, approval time can take 3-5 weeks.
• If you file online, LLC approval time takes 2-3 business days (regardless of whether or not their office is backed up).
Northwest ($39 + state fee) or LegalZoom ($149 + state fee)
(check out Northwest vs LegalZoom)
How to File Connecticut Certificate of Organization Online
Create a new user account:
1. Visit the Connecticut LLC online filing page:
Click the “Click to Acknowledge” button.
2. You’ll need an “Advanced User” account to file an LLC online. Click the button at the bottom titled “Advanced User/With Account”.
3. Click the “Create a user account” button. Then click the same button again.
4. Enter your name, mailing address, phone, and email, then click “Continue”.
5. Create a login name, password, security question, and then click “Create a user account”. Make sure to save this information somewhere where you can find it later. You’ll need it next year when you file your LLC’s Annual Report.
6. On the next page, you can print out your login details for safe keeping. When ready, click “Go to Login Page”.
7. Enter your login name and password, and then click “Login”.
If you already have a user account:
Log in here to get started:
Filing your LLC documents online:
In the left navigation, click “Business Formation (Domestic / Connecticut)”.
If you or someone you know is going to be your LLC’s Registered Agent, simply monitor your/their email address which you’ll enter in a few steps ahead. Remember, if an individual will be your LLC’s Registered Agent, they must be a resident of Connecticut.
If you hired a Commercial Registered Agent, please ask them which email address of theirs they’d like entered and tell them to keep an eye out for the email from the state.
Once you understand, you’ll need to agree to the terms by clicking the “Continue” button.
Check LLC Name Availability:
In the drop down list, select “Domestic Limited Liability Company”. In the “Business Name” box, enter your Connecticut LLC name exactly as you would like it, including your preferred capitalization, as well as the designator (the ending).
Remember: Connecticut law allows for the following designators:
• Ltd. Liability Co.
• Ltd. Liability Company
• Limited Liability Co.
• Limited Liability Company
Do you have business name reservation number?
If you have already filed an LLC name reservation, select “yes”. Most filers don’t have one and just select “no”. Note: it’s not a requirement to file a name reservation when forming an LLC.
Click the “Continue” button to proceed.
Business Email Address:
Enter your email address here. The state will use this address to send your LLC approval. It doesn’t have to be an actual “business email” address. Most filers just use a personal email address.
Principal Office Address:
Enter your LLC’s Principal Office address. PO boxes are not allowed. It must be a street address. You can use your home address, an office address, or your Registered Agent’s address (if they let you). This address can be in Connecticut, but it doesn’t have to be.
If your mailing address and principal office address are the same, check the box to the right of “Mailing Address”. PO boxes are allowed here if needed. This address can also be located in any state.
• If you or a friend or family member are your LLC’s Registered Agent:
– select “Individual” in the “Agent Type” drop down list
– enter your/their name in the “Agent Name” box
– complete all the address fields (I know, there’s a lot!)
– enter their email address
• If you hired a Commercial Registered Agent:
– select “Business” in the “Agent Type” drop down list
– enter their company name in the “Business Name” box
– complete all the address fields
– enter their email address
Note: if you hired a Commercial Registered Agent, please call or email them to get all of their proper contact information.
The LLC Organizer is the person who is submitting the filing to the Secretary of State. This will most likely be you. Enter your first and last name, and then click “Continue” to proceed.
Principals (members or managers):
Click “Add Principals” to add either your LLC’s members and/or managers.
– in the “Principal Type” drop down list, select “Individual”
– enter their first and last name
– for “Title”, enter “Member” or “Manager” (learn the difference here)
– complete the address fields
– click “Continue” to save the information
• If you’d like to add more members or managers, click “Add Principals”.
• If you’re finished, click “Continue” to proceed.
Review all of the information you entered. Check for accuracy and look for any typos.
If you need to change anything, click the pencil icons to make edits.
If everything looks good, click the “Continue” button to proceed.
Enter your credit card information and your billing address (the one associated with your card).
Note: the state does not accept debit cards.
Then click the “Pay Securely using Credit Card” button.
Congratulations, your Connecticut LLC has been filed for processing!
Now you just need to wait for approval :)
Connecticut LLC Approval
The Secretary of State will process and approve your Connecticut LLC in 2 to 3 business days.
Once your LLC is approved, they will email you a copy of your approved Certificate of Organization. They will also email you back an Acceptance Letter. Sometimes they arrive in the same email, or sometimes you will receive 2 separate emails.
Your Acceptance Letter will contain your Connecticut Business ID Number. Your Business ID Number is a unique number that identifies your LLC with the Secretary of State.
Once you file your Certificate of Organization, and it is approved by the state, you can then proceed to the next lesson: Operating Agreement.
Connecticut Secretary of State
If you have any questions, you can contact the Connecticut Secretary of State at 860-509-6002. Their hours are Monday through Friday, 8am – 4:30pm (Eastern).