Connecticut LLC - Business License and Permit Requirements

Last updated November 10, 2020

Connecticut LLC
Business Licenses and Permits

How to form an LLC in Connecticut
This Quick Start Guide is a brief overview of how to form an LLC in Connecticut.

Detailed Lessons:

5. EIN Number
6. Annual Report
7. Business Licenses ← you are here
8. Taxes


Connecticut LLC costs:
Connecticut state fee: $120 (one-time fee)
Annual report: $80 (every year)

Need help?
Hire a company to form your Connecticut LLC:
Northwest ($39 + state fee) or LegalZoom ($149 + state fee)

★ Check out Northwest vs LegalZoom

After your Connecticut LLC is approved, you’ll need to comply with state and local government license and permit requirements.

Your requirements are determined by the industry you are in and where your business is located.

Not complying with license and permit requirements is risky and can result in penalties and fines, or worse, not being allowed to conduct business in the state.

Types of licenses you may need in Connecticut

Below are some license and permits examples:

  • Department of Revenue State Tax ID number
  • Business operation license/business privilege license
  • Sales tax license
  • Seller/reseller permit
  • Building permit
  • Health permit
  • Signage permit
  • Home occupation permit
  • Zoning and land use permits
  • Withholding taxes (if you have employees)

Industries that are more regulated usually have more requirements.

Need Help? If you don’t want to make phone calls and determine the licensing requirements yourself, we recommend using IncFile.

Do it yourself in Connecticut

CT Department of Revenue State Tax ID Number

Because you are operating a business in Connecticut, you will need to register with the Department of Revenue and get a CT State Tax Identification Number.

You can register with the Department of Revenue using Form REG-1 (instructions) or register online.

You can contact the Department of Revenue with any questions at 860-297-5962, or visit their contact page for additional information.

Sales and Use Tax Permit

A Sales and Use Tax Permit from the Department of Revenue Services (DRS) is needed for the following activities in Connecticut:

  • Sale, rental, or lease of goods
  • Sale of a taxable service
  • Operation of a hotel, motel, or lodging house

Advance CT (formerly the Connecticut Economic Resource Center)

Advance CT provides helpful guides that discuss licensing requirements based on different industries. You can also discuss your licensing requirements with them by phone. Their phone number is 860-571-7136.

Note: There may be more places in Connecticut you need to contact.

Next Step: Connecticut LLC taxes

After you’ve researched and obtained the proper licenses and permits, you can then proceed to the next lesson: Connecticut LLC taxes.

Matt Horwitz
Founder & Educator, LLC University®
Forming an LLC shouldn't be so complicated. Our step-by-step guide will make the process a breeze – and no complex legal jargon! LLC University® teaches people how to form an LLC for free in all 50 states. We hope you find our free guides and resources helpful in your business journey.