Last updated on
Connecticut LLC Name Search
How to form an LLC in Connecticut
This Quick Start Guide is a brief overview of how to form an LLC in Connecticut.
Connecticut LLC costs:
Connecticut state fee: $120 (one-time fee)
Annual report: $20 (every year)
(check out Northwest vs LegalZoom)
The first step to forming an LLC in Connecticut is to search your desired LLC name and make sure it’s available for use.
You can browse existing business names in Connecticut using the link below, but we recommend reading this entire lesson first as there are important requirements and restrictions you need to be aware of before naming your LLC.
Connecticut LLC Name Requirements
Before searching your LLC name in Connecticut, there are a few requirements you need to know:
1. The abbreviations “LLC” or “L.L.C.” must be used at the end of your name. The abbreviation “LLC” is the most common.
2. Because an LLC is not a Corporation, your desired Connecticut LLC name cannot use the word “Corporation”, “Incorporated,” or their abbreviations (“Corp.”, “Inc.”).
3. Your desired Connecticut LLC name must be distinguishable. This means it must be different and unique from all other businesses registered in Connecticut.
Differences in designators (the identifiers at the end of a business name) and differences in grammar do not create distinguishability.
• LLC, L.L.C, Inc., Corp.
• singular, plural, and possessive
• A, An, The
• and, or, &
• hyphens, slashes, periods, commas
• three vs. 3
The following examples are NOT distinguishable:
– Smith Investments, LLC vs. Smith Investments, Inc.
– Apple Farm, LLC vs. Apple Farms, LLC
– Print Shop, LLC vs. The Print Shop, LLC
– Night & Day, LLC vs. Night and Day, LLC
– Peter Paul & Mary Studios, LLC vs. Peter-Paul-Mary Studios, Inc
– Three Teachers Consulting, LLC vs. 3 Teachers Consulting, LLC
Northwest ($39 + state fee) or LegalZoom ($149 + state fee)
(check out Northwest vs LegalZoom)
Searching the Connecticut Business Inquiry (Concord)
To make sure your LLC name is distinguishable and available for use, you’ll need to search it in the Connecticut Business Entity Database.
1. Go to the Search a Business page:
2. Enter your desired Connecticut LLC name in the “Search by Name” box.
Enter the first word or two of your LLC name followed by an asterisk (*) to ensure you see all names that are potentially similar.
For example, if your desired LLC name is “ABC Widgets LLC”, just enter “ABC*” in the “Search by Name” box.
Leave the “Search by Business ID” and “Search by Filing Number” boxes blank.
In the “Number of Records per page” drop down list, select “100”, and then click the “Search” button.
3. Look at the search results.
• If “No records found” appears, that means your desired LLC name is available for use.
• If the results show names that are not too similar to yours (meaning yours is distinguishable), then your desired LLC name is available for use.
• If your desired LLC name appears in the list exactly as you want it, your desired LLC name is not available for use. You’ll need to think of a new name or use some creativity and come up with a unique variation.
• If the results show a name that is deceptively similar to your desired LLC name, your desired LLC name is not available for use. You’ll need to think of a new name or use some creativity and come up with a unique variation.
Tip: If you’re not 100% sure that your desired LLC name is distinguishable, just file your paperwork with Connecticut anyway. If your name is not available, the state will send back your filing and let you know that the name needs to be changed.
Once you find a Connecticut LLC name that is unique and distinguishable, you’re ready to select your LLC’s Registered Agent. We’ll discuss this in the next lesson: Connecticut Registered Agent.
Connecticut Secretary of State Contact Info
If you have any questions, you can contact the Connecticut Secretary of State at 860-509-6002 (8am – 4:30pm).