How to Cancel an EIN with the IRS (“close an account”)
Cancelling an EIN with the IRS is technically called “Closing a Business Account”, since EINs are never really cancelled. They just stop being used.
– If you owe taxes for this tax year, you must file them first before mailing in the Cancellation Letter.
– You don’t need to wait for this EIN to be closed before getting a new EIN.
1. Download EIN Cancellation Letter
Download our free Cancel EIN Letter below in either PDF or Microsoft Word format. They are both the exact same form:
2. Mail Cancellation Letter to the IRS
Mail your EIN Cancellation letter to the IRS at:
Internal Revenue Service
Mail Stop 343
Cincinnati, OH 45999-0023
Attn: BMF Entity Department
(BMF stands for “business master file”)
Confirmation of EIN cancellation:
The IRS will send a letter confirming their receipt of the updated information within 45 days or less. Our cancellation letter above makes this request for you.
3. Request confirmation if not received in 45 days
If you have not received the confirmation letter within 45 days, you can either mail or fax a copy of the original letter to the IRS again.
Send it to the same address listed above and write “Second Request” somewhere near the top (you can just handwrite it).
IRS Contact Information
If you have questions about your EIN account, you can contact the IRS at 800-829-4933. Their hours are 7:00am to 7:00pm local time. If you’re in Alaska or Hawaii, please follow Pacific time.
IRS Phone prompts:
– press option 1 (for English)
– then option 1 (for Employer Identification Number information)
– then option 3 (for other assistance)