New York LLC Certificate of Change

Home » New York LLC » New York LLC Certificate of Change

Need to save time?

Hire a company to form your LLC:
Northwest ($39 + state fee)
LegalZoom ($149 + state fee)

Deal alert! Northwest will form your LLC for $39 (60% discount). See details.

You can make changes to your New York LLC (such as changing your Registered Agent or Registered Address) using the Certificate of Change form.

ATTENTION: There was a mistake made around the 3 minute mark. I failed to mention something about #2 on the Certificate of Change. If you hired a Registered Agent and used their address for your “address for forwarding of service of process“, then you’ll also want to select #2 and change the address back to your address. I apologize if this caused any issues.

New York LLC - Certificate of Change


Certificate of Change

Filing Fee


Accepted Forms of Payment

Check or Money Order

Make Payable To

“Department of State”

Filing Instructions

Mail your Certificate of Change with your check or money order (for $30, made payable to the “Department of State”) to:

Department of State
Division of Corporations
One Commerce Plaza
99 Washington Avenue
Albany, NY 12231

What to Expect

There is no receipt sent back once the Certificate of Change has been filed.

State Contact Info

Phone: 518-473-2492 (hours: M-F, 8:30am – 4:30pm)
Website: New York Department of State: Contact Info

Matt Horwitz
Matt Horwitz
Matt Horwitz has been the leading expert on LLC education for the past decade. He founded LLC University in 2010 after realizing people needed simple and actionable instructions to start an LLC that other companies weren't offering. He's cited by Entrepreneur Magazine, Yahoo Finance, and the US Chamber of Commerce, and was featured by CNBC and InventRight.
Matt holds a Bachelor's Degree in business from Drexel University with a concentration in business law. He performs extensive research and analysis to convert state laws into simple instructions anyone can follow to form their LLC - all for free! Read more about Matt Horwitz and LLC University.

Want our free email course?

Get simple LLC lessons sent right to your inbox.

Thanks! You're subscribed √
Your email address is already subscribed.

82 comments on “New York Certificate of Change”

Disclaimer: Nothing on this page shall be interpreted as legal or tax advice. Rules and regulations vary by location. They also change over time and are specific to your situation. Furthermore, this comment section is provided so people can share their thoughts and experience. Please consult a licensed professional if you have legal or tax questions.

  1. Hi, Matt!

    Thank you so much for this deep dive into LLC formation! The step-by-step videos are incredibly helpful. I have a few questions. For context, I am a independent contractor who provides creative services. I will be starting a single-member LLC (not S-Corp or C-Corp). I live in Manhattan but plan to do the Albany publication method and then switch the county back. I will use Northwest as my registered agent and plan to keep them after the switch.

    Can I start using my LLC on contracts before the ads are finished and before I switch the county back? (I have some clients who want to contract me asap, but I haven’t even started the LLC process yet and I no longer want to use my personal info or finances.)

    I think I know the answer, but I don’t want to mess anything up. My question is…Which address (registered agent or mailing/home where I do actual business) do I put on:
    1. ​Contracts
    2. Invoices
    3. Taxes

    Thanks so much for the guidance!

    • Hey Pam! You’re very welcome :) Yes, you can start using your New York LLC on contracts before the ads are finished. Said another way, you can begin using your NY LLC as soon as it’s approved (regardless of the status of where you are in the publication requirement timeline). And for contracts, invoices, and taxes, I’d use the actual location of the business… especially for anything that goes to the New York Department of Taxation & Finance. Hope that helps.

  2. Hi Matt,

    Thanks for sharing this helpful information. I have a question about my specific LLC Situation:

    1. I Just finished my Publications, in the process of receiving this certificate from the Secretary of State.

    2. Company was registered in Albany county. Virtual Address acquire in this same county.

    3. Registered Agent located in Buffalo, NY.

    What I want to do now is:

    A. Change Virtual Address to my new Business Address located in Brooklyn, NY.
    USPS Form was already submitted.

    Do you recommend using the Certificate of Change or Certificate of Amendment for Domestic Limited Liability Companies? Because I want to have the Articles of formation, Operation Agreement, and other documents Up-to-Date.

    Thanks for taking the time to help the community with your knowledge.

    • You’re welcome Juan Pablo. You can just use the Certificate of Change to change the address. While it could be done via a Certificate of Amendment, the Certificate of Amendment is $60. And a Certificate of Change is only $30.

  3. Hi Matt,
    First, thank you so much for all of the detailed information you provided here. I was able to set up my LLC and everything was done correctly. I used my RA address to file in Albany as I live in NYC. I have retained my RA, but I leased a virtual address for my business docs and so that when my business is searched, that address will be the one of record. Do I need to file a Certificate of Change or do I just need to go through the tax department? The phone number to the Secretary of State just says they’re on the phone, can’t talk, and try again some other time. Thank you for any info you’re able to give and thank you again for this amazing site!

    • You’re very welcome La-Tasha! I’d say after the publication requirement is met, file the Certificate of Change and do two things: revoke the Registered Agent and then enter your virtual address. Hope that helps.

  4. Hi Matt! Thanks so much for this article & video. I’m in the process of changing my LLC address (I recently moved to a different county within NY state) and I just filled out the Certificate of Change. My question is: do I also need to complete & mail in DOS-1358, the “Certificate of Amendment of Articles of Organization”? I’m a little confused about the difference between the two forms, and if they’re both necessary in order to properly change your business address in New York.

    Thanks so much!

    • Hi Dana, you’re very welcome! Nope, you don’t need to file the Certificate of Amendment to change your LLC’s address. Technically, you can, but it’s more expensive than the Certificate of Change. The Certificate of Amendment can be used to change anything (and multiple things at once); that’s how it can be used. It can also be used to change a New York LLC name. Hope that helps.

  5. Hi,
    I hope you can help me.
    I just filed an LLC a few minutes ago and mistakenly missed one letter in the address in the Articles of Formation.
    I entered flatlans ave instead of flatlands ave.

    Will this be an issue?
    Does this need to be corrected and how?

    Greatly appreciated.

    • Hi ET, I recommend filing a Certificate of Change and fixing the address.

  6. Hi Matt,

    After receiving affidavits, I want to use my mailing address in Nassau county.

    As shown in this video, if I only select “Revoke the Authority of its Registered Agent” in the Certificate of Change Form then my question is

    > where will State send the legal notice? if I don’t designate new registered agent with revoking North West Reg. agent?

    > Can I use my own name and Nassau county address under “Change the designation of its registered agent” ? to avoid missing legal notice?

    and all the BEST

    • Hi Syed, after you receive the affidavits, you still need to file a Certificate of Publication. After that is filed (you’ll receive a Filing Receipt once it is), then we recommend changing your address via the Certificate of Change. Did you hire a Commercial Registered Agent? If yes, and you no longer need their services, then you can revoke the Registered Agent. You wouldn’t need to list yourself as the Registered Agent. If you never hired a Commercial Registered Agent, then you’d ignore anything in the Certificate of Change regarding a Registered Agent. To get any legal notice in the future, you’d simply change the “address to which the Secretary of State shall forward copies of process” to your address. Hope that helps.

  7. Hi
    I wanted to know if i can change my newly formed LLC address to Albany before publishing. I will like to save publishing costs so I want to use my school address in Albany instead of my home address in NYC. The LLC was formed 2 months ago with my NYC address and two newspapers were assigned by the county clerk. However, the prices for publishing are too expensive for me. Please advise. Thank you for your help.

    • Hi Habby, yes, you can change your LLC’s county and address via the Certificate of Change and then publish in that newly listed county. Hope that helps.

  8. Hi there! If I change my address from one county to another county in NYC, would I have to pay the publication fee of the new county too or just submit the change?

    • Hi Brighid, if your LLC has already met the newspaper publication requirement, you don’t have to do it again if you change the county location of your New York LLC. Hope that helps.

      • Hi Matt, thank you so much, that was very helpful. Another follow up question— if we publish in Albany say, and then change our address after we publish to Brooklyn to save costs on the publishing fee, there is no harm in that right? Is that legal? We plan to have our process address and the address where they would send the LLC kit to as our own home address in Brooklyn. We would not list our name for our process address so it is not publicly available.

        • You’re very Brighid. There shouldn’t be any harm in this. Hundreds of readers do this every month. The way the statute is written regarding the newspaper publication requirements allows for flexibility in where the LLC’s “office address” is going to be (and allows it to easily be changed). And to be honest, the law is only in place because the newspapers lobby for it. Hope that helps.

  9. Hi Matt! I wish I looked at all your videos before setting up my NY city-based LLC today. Grrrgh… I have already set up my NYC based LLC and put in “New York” as the county. The address for process is my partner’s apt in Manhattan, and the filer is me in NJ. I did all that online and have rcvd the online Filing Receipt and Articles of Organization. (I did not designate a Registered Agent.)

    Because I would rather pay the Public Notice fees of Albany rather than NYC, and keep our addresses hidden (we are going to be an online business with no storefront) i just went on and hired Northwest as my Registered Agent.

    -How fast can I file the Certificate of Change? I just did the LLC docs today 1/29/20.
    -For the Certificate of Change do I under THIRD (1)Change county location to the new Albany County? (2)change the “address for process” to Northwest’s name and address since it’s in Albany and then (3)Designate Northwest as the agent and put in their street address?

    Then I submit the Certificate of Change with the fee and wait about 45 days to get processed and approved and then I can go ahead with the Public Notices in Albany for the LLC?

    Please let me know and thanks a ton for your time and help!

    • Hi Eleanor, glad you found us :) You can file the Certificate of Change right away since if you filed your LLC online (it was approved immediately).
      • THIRD (1): Yes, that would be Albany.
      • THIRD (2): Yes, you can change this to their Albany address, but just the address. You don’t need to list their name.
      • THIRD (3): You can leave this blank. You don’t need to designate them as your Registered Agent in order to publish in Albany. The reason why is that NY doesn’t require a Registered Agent (they act as the Agent for all LLCs).
      Yes, you are correct. After you receive back the Filing Receipt for your Certificate of Change, you can publish in the newspapers and then file your Certificate of Publication. Actually, you can do it even quicker than that. If you check the state’s name database, you can see the changes reflected there before the Filing Receipt for the Certificate of Change arrives back in the mail. Here’s the link: New York Division of Corporations: Business Entity Database. Try searching in about 3 weeks. Hope that helps!

      • Thanks Matt! All that information was super helpful! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply back with such detail. Much appreciated!

        • You’re very welcome Eleanor!! I’m happy it was so helpful :)

  10. Hi Matt. Thank you for your instructions. We had a LLC setup in Albany last year, but we are ending the actual business this year, but want to keep the LLC for now. We used NW registered agent to set it up, but now we want to change it to a member’s home address in NYC. Can you verify if the right box to check is the 2nd under bullet 3:
    i.e. Change designation of RA to: “member name” and fill in “new address”
    as well as change bullet 1: The county is changed to “county of new address”

    Thank you.

    • Hi Richard, you’re very welcome! Since a Registered Agent isn’t required in NY (the Secretary of State serves as the Agent for Service of Process for LLCs… and Commercial Registered Agents are commonly used for the publication requirement), you can actually just revoke the existing Commercial Registered Agent (currently, that’s the last check box in #3) instead of appointing yourself. You’d also update #1 to change the county and #2 to change the address where the Secretary of State can forward any Service of Process.

      In summary, under “THIRD”, it sounds like you’d want to check off 1, 2, and 3 (“Revokes”). You’ll also want to go into your Northwest Registered Agent dashboard and cancel the Registered Agent services after the Certificate of Change has been processed. Hope that helps.

  11. IM TRYING TO DO A LLC IN HIS NAME HIGH TARGET GROUP LLC BUT IT WONT LET ME DO TO THIS REJECT The proposed name is unacceptable as it includes a phrase that is an indicator of another type of entity and cannot be used for a corporation. Please refer to the rules and regulations of this Department for additional information CAN YOU EXPLAIN WHY IS IT BEING REJECTED THANKS IN ADVANCE

    • Hi Mohamed, this indicates that you actually formed a Corporation (not an LLC), tried to change the name of your Corporation to a new name that includes the abbreviation “LLC”, and therefore it was rejected. A Corporation cannot include the letters “LLC” in its name. We recommend calling the New York Division of Corporations to make sure you are filing the correct form and are following the correct rules. Hope that helps.

  12. Hey Matt, I got a state letter TR-570 requesting information about my LLC. Asking for my mailing address and my physical business address. I used the northwest registered agent as you said. They filled my LLC and only need it to do the publication. How should I fill out this paper? and Do I still need to do a certificate of change?

    • Hi Christopher, think of the “LLC/LLP Request for Information” (TR-570) and the Certificate of Change separately. The TR-570 is filed with the NY Department of Taxation and Finance. This registers your LLC for state taxes. You’ll want to use your actual address here. The newspaper publication and Certificate of Publication filing requirements are with the NY Division of Corporations. Once you fulfill the newspaper publication requirements, you can change your address with the Division of Corporations if you’d like (via the Certificate of Change).

      p.s. The form says it’s due within 15 days, but this isn’t enforced, and there’s no penalties if it’s submitted late. It’s not a binding form, it’s just informational in nature. The NY Department of Taxation & Finance just wants to know what type of returns they should expect from your LLC. Hope that helps.

  13. hey Matt
    I recently opened a corp and would like to change the name only. I’m not fully informed can you explain which part do I write the old name and the new. one more thing is how do I get the acknowledgment copy of the corp with the new name thanks brother

    • Hey Mohammed, we don’t have information on Corporation changes. This page pertains to LLCs. You’d file a Certificate of Amendment of Certificate of Incorporation. Hope that helps.

  14. I think so. In that case, on the change of certificate form, I should mark “2” and list my home address (since we don’t have a physical business location), and also mark “3” and “revoke the authority of its registered agent”.

    Is that correct?

    • Hi Bob, yes, that is correct. You’ll also want to change “1” too and update the county location.

  15. Thanks for the quick reply. I was referring to the potential mistake listed in point 1, but since you’re saying both entities are suppose to be listed with the same address, then it makes sense. Thanks again for the help!

    • You’re welcome Bob. I understand. If you do revoke the Registered Agent portion and you no longer need there services, then you’ll also need to change the address for forwarding of service of process to your address. Does that make sense? So the Certificate of Change will remove one of the addresses as well as change the other to your address.

  16. Hey Matt, awesome forum. I just want to clarify the Certificate of Change from Albany to New York County is done correctly. For my articles of organization, the THIRD and FOURTH articles are listed as the CORPORATE FILINGS OF NEW YORK and NORTHWEST REGISTERED AGENT LLC, respectively, but both have the address as 90 State st STE 700, OFFICE 40 Albany, NY 12207.

    1. Seems odd they both have the same address. Is that a mistake?

    2. I want to confirm that I just need to revoke the authority of the registered agent as designated in your video or i need to select another option to fix the mistake?

    3. Why do we just revoke the authority instead of changing it to one of the LLC members?

    • Hi Bob, thank you! 1. Nope, that’s correct. 2. I’m not sure what you mean by “fix the mistake”. Could you please rephrase your question? 3. While you could appoint an LLC Member (or anyone else) as the LLC’s Registered Agent, it’s not really necessary since the NY Secretary of State serves as the Agent for Service of Process for all entities in the state. So just revoking is easier. But again, it could go either way. Hope that helps.

  17. Hi Matt,

    First of all thank you for founding LLC University as this is a lot of help to many small businesses including myself.

    I’m hoping you can help me with my question. I recently used legal zoom to form my LLC a couple of days ago, I was confused about RA so I used their RA Service. After I watched your publication video I realized that I have to put the RA’s address in the publication. I am located in Orange County NY and my business is home based. The RA Service that they provide has a Brooklyn address. My question is, do I have to do my publication in Brooklyn or can I do it here in Orange County? I’d rather do it here in OC because I know it is much more affordable to place publication ad here than in Brooklyn. Thank you in advance.

    • Hi Fara, you’re very welcome! In your LLC’s Articles of Organization, what county is listed after “The county, within this state, in which the office of the limited liability company is to be located is“? That is what dictates the publication requirement. Here’s some more info on the Registered Agent in New York: New York LLC Registered Agent. Hope that helps!

  18. Matt,

    How long does it take for the State to file the Certificate of Change and to see the address change listed on the DOS website? I mailed it in about 3 weeks ago.

    Thank you,

    • Hi Mike, it usually takes about 30-35 days, but it can sometimes take 45-50 days if the state gets really busy. Hope that helps.

  19. Hi Matt,
    Thank you for the great info.
    I have two questions.
    01. Purpose of Certificate of Change is to revoke RA service and change the SOP address to current state from Albany?
    02. Is it possible to use ‘USPS Street Address’ for SOP address? I think I saw USPS street address cannot be used for legal documents.

    • Hi Sam, you’re welcome. 1.) Yes, the Certificate of Change can be used to change the SOP address and to revoke the Registered Agent (if it was elected/stated in the Articles of Organization). 2.) Yes, you can use a street address provided by the USPS for the SOP forwarding address. Hope that helps.

  20. I created an LLC in Delaware and did the application for Authority in New York since I operate in New York.

    I want to do the certificate of change in new york since I have a new office address. I always get confused when I fill out these forms on which LLC name to use, since I have my actual one and my fictitious NY one.

    On the Certificate of Change, should I be putting in my New York Fictitious LLC or my original Delaware LLC?

    • Hi Michael, you should use the name of the LLC as it’s registered to do business in New York. This is the NY LLC name you used in your Application for Authority. Was that exact name not available in NY and then you used a Fictitious Name? If you have 2-3 LLC names in your Application for Authority, I’d recommend calling the Division of Corporations to see what they prefer. Thanks.

      • Correct, my Delaware LLC was not available in New York so I had to create a “fictitious” name to be used in New York.

        Additionally, on the SECOND paragraph of the Certificate of Change where it says to fill in “the date of filing of the articles of organization”… this going to be the date in which my Delaware LLC was formed (April 10th, 2018) or the date I see on the DOS website when I look up my LLC, it says: “Initial DOS Filing Date: APRIL 17, 2018”?

        THANK YOU!

        • Hi Michael, you’d use the date the Foreign registration was completed in New York. Hope that helps.

  21. Hi Matt,

    Wanted to confirm something here regarding certificate of change.

    I have an LLC that I am 1. changing the address back to my original county (my publication is completed and I want to move the address/county) and 2. I am removing my current registered agent service (I used them to form my llc, and want to cancel the service). On the certificate of change form, I know to fill in the changed county for the business address change, but as for the registered agent, do I need to change the registered agent to myself/my partner, or can I just revoke it altogether (leaving the secretary of state acts as the RA, if this in fact happens when a prior named RA is revoked)? On our articles of organization, the RA is named in a separate article as the registered agent and as I am in NY state and as you say, it is confusing here, I wanted to ensure I check the correct box/fill in the right line.

    Thanks so much, your content is super helpful!

    • Hey Gill, thanks for confirming that there is a specific Article in your Articles of Organization about the Commercial Registered Agent you hired. Then yes, you’re correct. You’ll simply be revoking the Registered Agent and by default, the New York Secretary of State will be the agent upon which process can be served. Hope that helps!

      • Hi Matt,

        Yes this is super helpful. Thanks so much for clarifying this and your site is great and definitely a good resource for any small business person! Gonna recommend you to anyone else I know needing help like this :)

        • You’re very welcome Gill! Thanks so much for spreading the word… it means a lot!!

  22. Matt,

    Thank you for your patience in getting back to you. Thank you for further clarification regarding publishing and the Cert. of Change. This is very helpful. You stated, once I submit the Cert. of Change, Id also change the RA? I already paid Northwest Agent for the year though, do most folks remain with Northwest after changing addresses/counties?


    • Hi Vanessa, most filers who go through our course just change remove the Registered Agent afterward via the Certificate of Change, however, it’s not necessary. You can certainly get more of your money’s worth by retaining their services for the whole year. I think it just comes down to personal preference. Hope that helps!

      • Hi Matt,

        Thank you for your patience in getting back to you. Great to hear! Id like to stay with NW RA for now. Thank you again for all the clarification and all your help in this process. Greatly appreciated. You guys are amazing @ LLC University.



        • Sounds great. Thanks again for the kind words Vanessa :) We really appreciate you!

  23. Also forgot to also ask, is it necessary I still complete a certificate of change, if my address in Article 3 was a NY address? Thank you again.

    All the best.

    • Nope, you’re good to proceed as-is. After your newspaper ads run, you’ll receive 2 Affidavits of Publication. Then you’ll file those 2 Affidavits along with a Certificate of Publication to the state. It takes about 45 days before you get back a filing receipt for the Certificate of Publication. I recommend waiting 1-3 months, then filing your Certificate of Change. In your case, you’ll change your county location and you’ll remove the registered agent.

  24. Hi Matt,

    Of course and thanks for confirming! I filed online last week, and received the filing receipt almost immediately. I am going to go ahead and contact the Albany newspapers (the ones you listed) so that I may begin the publishing process.

    Regarding NW RA, they do not need to be contacted for anything at the moment from my understanding. Their sole purpose is to be a ‘receiving’ address for any documents that may be sent or ‘served’ from the state . Still don’t have a full understanding of a ‘RA’ & if I need to be in touch with them regularly for the LLC, but I will reach out to them for more information. Once the 6 weeks of publishing are over, I would just need to provide the state with the Cert. of Publishing receipt and the Cert. of Change.

    This is off topic, but Id like to also begin the EIN process if possible-To keep things ‘clean’ and consistent, do you recommend I use the NW RA for the address or my NY address that I used in Article 3? Thank you again for taking the time to address my concerns. Creating an LLC is very new for me, and I want to make sure I do not miss any steps- much appreciated.


    • Hi Vanessa, the email you received from the state (which included your Filing Receipt) will also have your stamped and approved Articles of Organization attached. If you already signed up with Northwest Registered Agent, then you have an online account/dashboard with them. Any mail they receive for your LLC will be scanned into your online account and you’ll receive an email notification for each new piece of mail and then you can login and download it. You don’t have to contact them for anything at this point. Regarding the EIN, just use your actual address. It’s simply the mailing address the IRS will use. The IRS and the Department of State do not share records. Hope that helps!

  25. Hello Matt. Thank you for all the information and guidance you have provided with your videos. Feel grateful to have come across them. They provide the most updated information, are organized, and easy to follow. Ive learned so much.

    However, I am concerned that I may need to complete a certificate of change BEFORE publishing my LLC ad in the Albany newspapers. Hoped you could provide some clarification. I decided to use NorthWest as my RA, and thus wanted to publish my ads in Albany to save on publication costs.

    I completed my articles of organization following the steps you listed in another video; I marked Albany county as the county, but I was confused on which address to use for Article 3, Service of Process (wasn’t quite clear in the video). I took a guess and used my NYC post office address (not a, a usps physical address). For Article 4, Registered Agent, I provided Northwest RA’s name/address.

    Will I have a problem publishing the ads in Albany since I used my Nyc business address for Article 3, Service of Process? I really hope I don’t have to pay to change the address twice and would love to publish my ads as soon as possible in Albany.

    I was already emailed a filing receipt from the state. To confirm, my filing receipt is my state approval notice for my LLC and is all I require to publish the ads? Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. Greatly appreciate your help.

    Warmest regards,


    • Hi Vanessa, thank you for the kind words :) Yes, the Filing Receipt confirms that the Articles of Organization has been filed, and therefore that your LLC is in existence. You should have also received a stamped and approved copy of your Articles of Organization along with an Acknowledgment Letter. It does “look cleaner” to have the Albany address listed for Service of Process, but it’s not a big deal. You have Albany as the county in Article 1 and that is what dictates the county for publishing. You can proceed as-is without filing another Certificate of Change. Thanks for your feedback regarding the video not being clear. We will work on fixing that so it doesn’t trip people up.

      • Matt,

        Thank you for your prompt response and for the clarification. Great to know about the publishing requirements and not needing to worry about the Certificate of Change. I have not yet received the stamped hardcopy of the Articles, but with the filing receipt, it should be ok to go ahead and begin publishing in Albany from my understanding. Thank you again for all your assistance and thank you to LLC University for their services- simply amazing.



        • Hi Vanessa, yes, with the Filing Receipt you can proceed to publish your newspaper ads. Did you file your NY LLC online or by mail? You’re very welcome :) Thank you for the kind words!

  26. My questions seems to have disappeared, but I did learn alot from scrolling through comments and watching videos.

    I have a PLLC in NY for locum vet services, but I am opening an office for a portion of my business. I would like to keep everything under the PLLC, but use a different name for the office and related business. I saw above that this can be done as a DBA. Is this just a form I submit, or does it have to go through the whole process (name search, publication, etc) as I did filing the PLLC? Thank you so much for all this great information!

    • Hi Wendy, does this new portion of your business still fall under professional vet services? If so, then you can file a DBA, which is essentially the PLLC operating and doing business with the public under a different name… but legally, it’s still the PLLC as the legal entity/legal person that customers will be doing business with. If this new portion of your business does not fall within vet services, then you should not file a DBA, since the DBA is just the PLLC (again, just operating under a “nickname”)… reason being is that a PLLC in NY can only engage in those services in which its member (you) are licensed. In NY, a DBA is known as an Assumed Name. We don’t have a lesson on this yet, but you can find information from the state here. An Assumed Name in NY does not need to meet the same publication requirements as an LLC/PLLC. In fact, there are no publication requirements for Assumed Names.

      • Thank you, Matt! Yes, the ‘new’ business is a veterinary service, but it is a limited service directly to clients, rather than as a per diem general practitioner at other vet’s offices. I will ‘click’ and start the process! Love this website, what a wonderful service you provide!

        • Hi Wendy, thanks for the kind words! Glad you are finding the site helpful. As a final note, I would call the Veterinarian division within the NY Department of Education just to double-check that Assumed Names are allowed for your profession. You can find their contact information here.

  27. Matt, what an excellent resource – thank you!

    If I use an RA in Albany for publication and privacy purposes (I live in NYC), is there any reason to change the location to my address via the Cert of Change, if this is for an online business?

    Related – if I apply for a DBA and later change the address of the LLC via the cert, do i need to re-file the DBA reflecting the changed county?

    Thanks again! So many sites out there but yours is clear and concise.

    • Hey Mark, thanks for the kind words. If you want to use the RA in Albany on an ongoing basis (for and after the publication requirement), then there is no need to change the address. If the DBA has moved, then yes, you are supposed to change it. But it’s flexible and up to you. Hope that helps.

  28. Dear Matt,
    First thank you! I have learned so much and your video tutorials are so clear that it makes learning this kind of stuff fun.
    I have a quick question before I get NW Registered Agent – I have an LLC name that’s available, but I want the business that I am starting to be a different name from the LLC.
    I wanted to use the LLC name as sort of a parent company LLC for a few businesses. Does the business name have to match the LLC name or can I use a DBA? I hope this makes sense..

    • Hi Donna, thank you for the kind words :) I’m glad the website and videos have been helpful!

      Regarding your “parent company”, I think you more so have 2 different types of “business activities” (not companies). A parent company denotes one legal entity owning another legal entity. Is that what you are looking for? If that’s the case, you can either form 2 LLCs (owned by you), or form a parent LLC (owned by you), and 2 child LLCs (owned by the parent LLC).

      Or would you like one legal entity operating under 2 different names? If that’s the case, you’ll want to form an LLC, and then file 1 or 2 DBA (doing business as) names. Hope that helps!

  29. If you want to start an online business, what should you put as the physical location when applying for an EIN or Change of Address?

    • Although the business is “online”, the state still requires an address. If you don’t have an address of your own that you can use, you can use a friend or family member’s address. You could also hire a Commercial Registered Agent and use their address, or rent a private mailbox from the UPS Store (for example).

  30. Just finished watching all of your videos of how to form an LLC. THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH, MATT! I can’t describe how much your website helped me with research. You just saved me thousands of dollars and countless hours of reading articles! I will 100% refer every person I know interested in forming an LLC here and I will also be using your registered agent services. Hopefully, you will get a percentage.
    Thank You So Much Again!

    • Hey Joshua! Apologies for the slow reply. Your comment accidentally went into the spam folder. Man, thanks so much for the kind words! It’s so nice to hear how happy you are from watching our videos and how much it has helped. And thank you for the kind words and thinking of us for referrals. We certainly appreciate that!! Thank you!!

  31. Fantastic videos. Thank you for taking the time to out them up!

    • You’re welcome Johnny! Thank you for the kind words!

Leave a comment or question

Comments are temporarily disabled.