Quick Start Guide
This Quick Start Guide is a brief overview of how to form an LLC in New York.
New York LLC Costs:
New York LLC filing fee: $200
Newspaper fees: varies by county (see Lesson 2)
Certificate of Publication: $50
Biennial Statement: $9 (every two years)
★ Check out Northwest vs LegalZoom
Northwest ($39 + state fee) or LegalZoom ($149 + state fee)
(check out Northwest vs LegalZoom)
County Clerk Directory
Instructions: Call your county clerk. Ask for the phone number of one daily newspaper and one weekly newspaper. Then call the newspapers for instructions.
List of all County Clerks: NYSAC: NYS Association of County Clerks
Albany County Newspapers
Times Union Daily (daily circulation newspaper)
Phone: 518-454-5000 (press 0, then ask to the Legal Department)
When emailing the Times Union Daily, you will need to include:
- The text for your newspaper ad. You can just type it inside the email.
- The county of the office location in New York. For example: Albany county.
- Your name, telephone number, and mailing address. The mailing address should be your actual mailing address, which can be located in New York state or it can be in another state. The newspaper doesn’t want your Registered Agent address here. They want your actual mailing address. Note, this doesn’t affect the publication strategy.
- The section of law that applies to your New York LLC. Most people have what’s called a “Domestic LLC” (an LLC formed in New York). Domestic LLCs are Section 206. If you have a Foreign LLC, that is Section 802.
Note: Domestic Professional LLC (PLLC) is Section 1203. Foreign Professional LLC is section 1306.
(related article: what’s the different between a domestic LLC and a foreign LLC?)
Altamont Enterprise (weekly circulation newspaper)
Phone: 518-861-4026 (press 101 for Legals)
1. Send them the text for your newspaper ad and request a price quote.
2. Give them written approval in the email. Can be as simple as, “Okay, please proceed.”
3. They will send you an invoice and you can make payment online.
4. FYI, because they are a weekly paper, they only check emails on Friday and Saturday.
Example LLC newspaper ad text
Note: You can replaced what’s underlined with your LLC’s information.
TURTLE POND LLC. Art. of Org. filed with the SSNY on 07/31/14. Office: Albany County. SSNY designated as agent of the LLC upon whom process against it may be served. SSNY shall mail copy of process to the LLC, 100 Jane Street, #4A, New York, NY 10014. Purpose: Any lawful purpose.
Since most newspapers charge per line (or per word), we have a shorter version that still meets the legal requirements. Feel free to use this version to save money:
TURTLE POND LLC. Filed with SSNY on 07/31/14. Office: Albany County. SSNY designated as agent for process & shall mail copy to: 100 Jane Street, #4A, New York, NY 10014. Purpose: Any lawful.
Next Step: Certificate of Publication
Once you have published your ad in one weekly circulation newspaper and one daily circulation newspaper for 6 consecutive weeks, please wait for the newspapers to send you your Affidavits of Publication.
Once you receive your Affidavits of Publication, you can then proceed to the next Lesson: Certificate of Publication.