How to Get a New York EIN Number (for Free) for an LLC - 2024 Guide

Home » New York LLC » How to Get a New York EIN Number (for Free) for an LLC - 2024 Guide

Need to save time?

Hire a company to form your LLC:
Northwest ($39 + state fee)
LegalZoom ($149 + state fee)

Deal alert! Northwest will form your LLC for $39 (60% discount). See details.

We know dealing with the IRS can be intimidating, but getting an EIN for your LLC doesn’t have to be scary.

This page explains what an EIN is and we provide step-by-step instructions on getting an EIN for free for a New York LLC.

What is an EIN Number?

EIN Number for an LLC

EIN stands for Employer Identification Number and is assigned to your LLC by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), a division within the federal government.

The EIN identifies your business to the IRS, the same way a Social Security Number identifies a person. You could also think of the EIN as your “account number” with the IRS.

Note: An EIN is not issued by the New York Department of State. It is only issued by the IRS.

Don't have an LLC yet? Hire Northwest to form your LLC for $39 + state fee (then add EIN to your order).

Have an LLC, but no EIN? Hire Northwest to get your EIN:
I have an SSN | I don't have an SSN

EIN Synonyms

You might see your EIN Number referred to in many different ways. They all mean the same thing, though.

Other terms for an EIN include:

  • EIN Number
  • Employer Identification Number
  • Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)
  • Federal Tax ID Numbers
  • New York Federal Tax ID Number
  • Federal Tax Identification Number

Note: An EIN Number is not the same thing as a New York State Tax ID Number. An EIN is issued by the IRS. And a New York Tax ID Number is issued by the New York Department of Taxation and Finance.

What’s an EIN used for?

An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is used by several different government agencies to identify your LLC.

Having an EIN for your New York Limited Liability Company lets you:

  • Open an LLC business bank account
  • File federal, state, and local tax returns
  • File New York income tax
  • Obtain business lines of credit or business loans
  • Get a business credit card for your LLC
  • Apply for business licenses or permits
  • Handle employee wages (if applicable)

How much does it cost to get an EIN?

Applying for an EIN for your New York LLC is completely free. The IRS doesn’t charge any service fees for the online Tax ID application.

When should you get an EIN?

Don’t apply for an EIN until your New York LLC is approved.

Tip: If you applied for an EIN before your LLC is approved, or made another mistake, please see our FAQs below. We explain how to fix the most common EIN mistakes.

How do I file an EIN Application for my New York LLC?

Important: Make sure you finalize how many LLC Members you have before you apply for an EIN. Changing from a Single-Member LLC to a Multi-Member LLC (or vice versa) requires filing paperwork with the IRS and the state. Additionally, you’ll need to transfer LLC ownership, amend your Operating Agreement, and update your accountant (since your tax filing will change).

Note: An LLC doesn’t stand for Limited Liability Corporation. It stands for Limited Liability Company.

Apply for an EIN (US Citizens and US Residents)

We recommend applying for an EIN online if you have a SSN (Social Security Number) or ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number).

This is the easiest filing method and it has the fastest approval time. Your EIN Number will be issued at the end of the online application, which takes about 15 minutes to complete.

We have step-by-step instructions on this page:

How to apply for an EIN online

Note: You can also apply for an EIN by mail or fax, but this is really slow compared to the online filing. We only recommend this if you get an error message (called an EIN reference number) and the IRS says that you have to.

Apply for an EIN (Non-US residents)

If you’re a non-US resident (and don’t have an SSN or ITIN), you can still get an EIN for your New York LLC. You just can’t apply for a Federal tax EIN online.

Instead, you need to mail or fax Form SS-4 to the IRS. The SS-4 is the application form. We have step-by-step instructions on this page:

How to get an EIN without an SSN or ITIN

Note: If you’ve read somewhere that you have to hire a third party designee, this is not true. You can obtain your EIN yourself without using a third party designee.

EIN Approval (EIN Confirmation Letter)

Once the IRS issues an EIN for your New York LLC, you will receive your official approval, known as an EIN Confirmation Letter (CP 575).

The method you use to apply for an EIN will determine how you receive your EIN Confirmation Letter. If you apply online, you can download the EIN Confirmation Letter at the end. If you mail or fax SS-4, the IRS mails your EIN Confirmation Letter.

Here is what the EIN Confirmation Letter looks like:

EIN Confirmation Letter (CP 575) for LLC

LLC Business Bank Account

After getting an EIN, you can open a business bank account for your New York LLC. The bank will need your EIN Confirmation Letter (or EIN Verification Letter) to open the business account.

Please see business bank account for LLC for a list of recommended banks (and the documents you should bring).

If you’re a non-US resident, you can still open a US bank account for your LLC. Please see this page: Non-US resident opening US bank account for an LLC

Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Contact Information

If you have any questions, you can call the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) at 1-800-829-4933. Their office hours are 7am – 7pm, Monday through Friday.

Use these options to speak to a live person:

  • Press option 1 for English.
  • Then press option 1 for Employer Identification Numbers.
  • Then press option 3 for “If you already have an EIN, but you can’t remember it, etc.”

Note: Pressing option 3 is the only way to get a live person.

We recommend calling the IRS right after they open to avoid long hold times.

The IRS won’t give you legal assistance, legal or tax advice, but they will answer questions about the EIN application process.

EIN Frequently Asked Questions

Does a Single-Member LLC need an EIN?

You may have seen other articles online say that Single-Member LLCs don’t need an EIN. While this is technically true, it’s bad advice.

Having an EIN can protect you from identity theft, and you’ll need an EIN for other purposes – not just filing taxes. Your New York LLC needs an EIN to:

  • Open an LLC business bank account
  • Obtain business lines of credit or business loans
  • Get a business credit card
  • Apply for a business license or permit
  • Handle employee payroll (if applicable)

Plus, getting an EIN is free and takes just 10 minutes online. Said another way, we strongly recommend getting an EIN for your Single-Member LLC.

Does a Multi-Member LLC need an EIN?

Yes, all Multi-Member LLCs are required to get an EIN from the IRS. This is because it’s required by the Internal Revenue Code.

Do I need an EIN for my DBA?

No. A DBA can’t have an EIN. Remember, a DBA is just a nickname for a business or a person(s).

However, the business or person(s) that owns the DBA may need an EIN.

DBA owned by an LLC

If you have an LLC, your LLC needs its own EIN.

If your LLC has a DBA, don’t get an EIN for the DBA. The DBA is just a nickname for your LLC, and the IRS doesn’t recognize DBAs.

DBA owned by individual(s)

If you registered a DBA, but didn’t form a legal entity (like an LLC), then you’re operating a Sole Proprietorship (1 owner) or a General Partnership (2 or more owners).

Sole Proprietorship: Your New York Sole Proprietorship (with or without a DBA) isn’t required to have an EIN, but it’s optional.

General Partnership: Your New York General Partnership (with or without a DBA) must get an EIN. It’s required by the IRS.

Again, in both cases, the DBA itself doesn’t get the EIN. It’s the underlying business entity that gets the EIN.

Do I need an EIN for an LLC with no employees?

Yes, you should still get an EIN for your New York business even if you don’t hire employees.

Even though it’s called an Employer Identification Number, it doesn’t mean you have to have employees. Again, the EIN Number is just a way for the IRS to identify your business.

(Note: If you are the only owner in your business, you are not considered an employee. You are simply the owner.)

How should a husband and wife LLC get an EIN?

In most states, husband and wife LLCs can only be treated as a Multi-Member LLC taxed as a Partnership.

However, in community property states, married couples can choose between:

  • Husband and wife LLC taxed as a Partnership
  • Husband and wife LLC taxed as a Single-Member LLC (aka Qualified Joint Venture)

New York is not a community property state. So New York husband and wife LLCs can’t choose to be taxed as a Qualified Joint Venture (Single-Member LLC).

How you complete your EIN application determines the LLC’s tax status. For more information, please see Husband and Wife LLC (Qualified Joint Venture).

Common EIN mistakes and how to fix them

How do I find my EIN number online?

If you lose your EIN Confirmation Letter (CP 575), or forget to download it online, you can’t get another one.

However, you can request an EIN Verification Letter (147C), and you can use that instead.

Both forms are accepted by everyone (including banks and the state government).

I thought applying for my EIN is what forms my LLC, right?

No, just getting an EIN from the IRS doesn’t form an LLC. LLCs aren’t formed with the IRS. They are formed with your state.

You are supposed to form an LLC in your state, and then apply for an EIN (aka Federal Tax ID Number).

If you’ve been operating your business by having an EIN and have not formed an LLC, you have unknowingly been operating as a Sole Proprietorship and the EIN is “attached” to you, personally.

Said another way, the EIN is not connected to your company – because the company (the LLC) hasn’t been formed.

If you want to have your company be an LLC: First, form an LLC, wait for it to be approved, and then apply for a new EIN. Later you can cancel your first EIN.

What if I applied for an EIN before my LLC was approved?

If your LLC gets approved (using the name you listed on your EIN application), there is nothing to worry about. As long as the name on your EIN Confirmation Letter matches your LLC name, then you can use that EIN for your LLC.

If your LLC is rejected, then you need to refile with the state and wait for your new LLC name to be approved. Then get a new EIN from the IRS. And cancel the old EIN.

How do I cancel an EIN?

If you need to cancel your EIN Number, you need to mail a cancellation letter to the IRS.

We have instructions and the cancellation letter here: How to cancel an EIN.

Matt Horwitz
Matt Horwitz
Matt Horwitz is the leading expert on LLC education, and has been teaching for 15 years. He founded LLC University in 2010 after realizing people needed simple and actionable instructions to start an LLC. He's cited by Entrepreneur Magazine, Yahoo Finance, and the US Chamber of Commerce, and was featured by CNBC and InventRight.
Matt holds a Bachelor's Degree in business from Drexel University with a concentration in business law. He performs extensive research and analysis to convert state laws into simple instructions anyone can follow to form their LLC - all for free! Read more about Matt Horwitz and LLC University.

Want our free email course?

Get simple LLC lessons sent right to your inbox.

Thanks! You're subscribed √
Your email address is already subscribed.

73 comments on “New York Federal Tax ID Number (EIN)”

Disclaimer: Nothing on this page shall be interpreted as legal or tax advice. Rules and regulations vary by location. They also change over time and are specific to your situation. Furthermore, this comment section is provided so people can share their thoughts and experience. Please consult a licensed professional if you have legal or tax questions.

  1. Hey Matt,

    Just wanted to let you know you are the best!

    Thank you for everything! :’)

  2. Hi Matt , Great information you have provided here. I have used your website to setup my LLC and so far it has been easy peasy. I have a question regarding tax form TR-570 ‘LLC/LLP Request for Information. In Part 3 of the form, there is a line that says: ‘Check here if the LLC is a single member LLC that is disregarded as an entity separate from its owners for federal and New York State tax purposes. The disregarded entity should obtain an EIN. Owner’s legal name and EIN.” Since I am a sole proprietor, I think I should check the single- member LLC disregarded as an entity separate from its owner. For the field, Owner’s legal name and EIN, I am guessing that I provide my name and then do I provide my SSN instead of the company’s EIN? Can you advise. Thanks!

    • Thanks Chris! The last time we spoke to the New York Department of Taxation and Finance, the said that confusing language had been changed to read “Owner’s legal name and EIN or SSN“. Regardless of what it says, yes, you are correct. You will check the box because you have a Single-Member LLC taxed in its default status (LLC taxed as a Disregarded Entity > Sole Proprietorship) and you’ll enter your name and your SSN or ITIN. Also, you said, “Since I am a sole proprietor”. You are not a Sole Proprietor. You have a Single-Member LLC which, by default, is taxed like a Sole Proprietorship ;) Hope that helps!

      • Hi Matt, Thank you so much for your help and for clarifying that I am a NOW a single-member LLC! Your answer definitely helps!!! Great work you do for us! :)

  3. Hi Matt,
    I recently started an LLC. I’ve tried to apply for an EIN number and have come across some challenges. I originally started the single member LLC under my Sirapa Wolff name. My EIN number is associated with SSN records as Sirapa B., my maiden name. I thought it would make more sense to do a legal name change for the SSN under the Sirapa Wolff name. Does it matter if my names do not match the single member LLC and on the SSN and IRS records, attached to the EIN?

    • Hi Sirapa, no, it doesn’t matter if Sirapa Wolff is the owner of ythe LLC, but your name (as associated with your SSN, as associated with the LLC’s EIN) is Sirapa B. Hope that helps :)

  4. Hi Matt,

    I am a US-resident (lived for more than 183 days in the US in 2019). I don’t have SSN or ITIN and am not eligible to get one. Can I still form an LLC and get EIN?

    If yes, then how the instruction to fill SS-4 will be different in this case. As you say the information above applies only to Non-US-residents.

    I appreciate.

    • Hi Paata, yes, you can still form an LLC and get an EIN. There are no citizenship or residency requirements to forming an LLC in New York. And while you may be a US resident for tax purposes, you can still complete Form SS-4 as if you are a foreigner. Hope that helps.

  5. Hey,

    When it comes to both obtaining an EIN and opening a business bank account, do you have any insight about the best address to use? I’m operating my business from home, but I’m interested in getting a PO Box or virtual address. Do you know if I can use a PO box when both applying for EIN and opening a business bank account? I’ve read that the USPS offers a street address option instead of PO box address. Would that be able to be used? Or would I be best off getting a virtual address of some sort?


    • Hi Dylan, the address listed on your EIN is flexible, as the IRS treats this address as the mailing address. However, banks want an actual physical street address. And most banks today have USPS address validation built into their software… and most mailbox/mail forwarding services are what’s known as a Commercial Mail Receiving Agency (CMRA). So these addresses will get flagged at the bank and the bank will want you to list your home address instead (or another physical address). To check if a place is a CMRA, first, you can call and ask. Second, you can search their address on Smarty Street address validation. And third, if the place requires a USPS 1583 Form, then it’s a CMRA. Backing up a bit… depending on which bank you open your LLC bank account, they may want all the addresses to “match up”. Meaning, they want the address on your Articles of Organization (or equivalent form) to be the same as it is on your EIN Confirmation Letter. Not all banks are like this, so we recommend calling a few banks and asking ahead of time. If the bank is more flexible, then you can have a mailbox address on your LLC state documents and your home address with the IRS and the bank. What are the main reasons you would like to use a mailbox address?

      • Hey Matt,

        Thanks for the answer! I’m in the process of moving NYC apartments at the moment but I also need to move my LLC along as quickly as possible. I registered in New York through Northwest (used your link), so my LLC documents list their address, but since I don’t have a permanent home address at this moment to use for banks or the IRS, I was looking to use a mailing address or virtual address of some sort until I finalize my new home address. Perhaps I could use my family’s home address for Banks and the IRS, but that’s an out of state address and might conflict with my LLC being registered in New York? Any thoughts?

        • Hey Dylan, the IRS won’t care about the out-of-state address, however, the bank may… or they may not. We recommend calling a few banks and asking to speak with a branch manager. Ask if the addresses can be different or if they require them all to be the same. And ask about the out-of-state address. Things vary so much in banking, which is why we cannot say. They may let you use the Registered Agent address. They may let you use the out-of-state address. Or they may want them all to be the same. Hope that helps.

  6. Hi Matt,

    Yes, that form. Thank you so much for your help. This website is one of the best discoveries I have made on my journey to start a business.

    All the best!

    • Hey Jason, you’re very welcome. We’re so happy to hear that! Thank you :)

  7. Hello,

    I have obtained an EIN. For Part 3, I entered the EIN. Below that it states:

    If you are a sole proprietor and do not have an EIN, you must use the temporary TF number assigned for New York State tax purposes. Do not use a social security number.

    CHECK HERE if the LLC is a single-member LLC that is disregarded as an entity separate from its owners for federal and New York State tax purposes. The desiredarded entity should obtain a federal EIN.

    Owner’s legal name and EIN______________________________________________________

    Do I check that box and fill that line out? I am a single member LLC and chose Northwest as my filer/registered agent. Do I leave the box unchecked?

    • Hi Jason, are you referring to the LLC/LLP Request for Information from the NY Dept. of Taxation & Finance? If so, how is your LLC taxed? If you’re LLC is taxed as a Sole Proprietorship, then yes, you’d check that box, since you’re LLC is a disregarded entity. You’d also enter your LLC’s EIN. Hope that helps.

  8. A few days after filing the LLC I got a form TR-570 “Request for more information”.

    My main question is – Does everyone get this form or is it like an audit?

    Also I need so help-
    1- “Part 1 – New address information (Update address information here)” – Question: I just gave them my address and they even mailed this form to my address – so what do they want??
    2- “Part 4 – Business description” – Question: Currently I am not sure what kind of business it will be because the original intent of the business fell through. What should I put
    3- “Part 5 New business information – List all members…” I am the sole member and they already have my information. Should I fill this out anyways?

    • Hi Darsh, all LLCs in New York get the LLC/LLP Request for Info (TR-570). If the address hasn’t changed, you don’t have to update the address in Part 1. Part 4: they’re trying to get a feel for what type of taxable activities you’ll engage in. You can list the original purpose or something close to it. Part 5: The Secretary of State doesn’t have your information (as Member) and neither does the Dept. of Taxation & Revenue. Yes, you need to complete this section.

      Also, although the form says it’s due within 15 days, this isn’t enforced, and there’s no penalties if it’s submitted late. It’s not a binding form, it’s just informational in nature. The NY Department of Taxation & Finance just wants to know what type of returns they should expect from your LLC. Hope that helps.

      • Thanks for the response!
        It’s almost 15 days. Need to fill it out today.

        Does everyone who opens LLC in NY get form TR-570?

        Or is it like an audit that targets only certain LLC’s?

        • It’s not an audit. All LLCs get the Request for Info form. It just lets the NY Department of Taxation & Finance what type of returns they should expect from your LLC. Although the form does say it’s due in 15 days, this isn’t enforced, and there’s no penalties if it’s submitted late. It’s also not a binding form, it’s just informational in nature. The state just “scares people” into submitting the form within a reasonable amount of time.

  9. Hi thanks for the great videos! My question is when it ask for the county should I use the county where I’ll be doing business (kings) or should I use the county listed on the articles of organization (Albany), being that I used a registered agent to avoid high publication costs?
    Thanks in advance!

    • Hi Alex, you’re welcome. The EIN application is not connected to the publication requirement. You can use the county where you’re doing business. Hope that helps.

      • So even though on my articles of organization it says Albany County, I should write on my EIN application kings county?

        • Hi Alex, yes, correct. They can be different. They are not connected. Hope that helps.

  10. Hi Matt, I have exactly the same question as Charlene form October 18, 2008. The one right before tbhis post. When we know we are approved? I submitted everything online, and the same day I did I receive my online filing receipt. Does this mean I am approved?
    Thank you!!

    • Hey Juan, I just replied to Charlene. You should have received your stamped/approved Articles of Organization by email as well. Hope that helps.

  11. Matt, As a first time small business owner ~ Thank you! Moments ago I filed my Articles of Organization of my LLC form online and received the email confirming that it has successfully been submitted. Does this also mean it has been approved by the Department of State? And specifically, when you suggest to “wait for your New York LLC to be approved by the Department of State before applying for your EIN”, does this mean that I can apply for the EIN now through the IRS? Or is there a waiting period? Thanks so much for sharing your expertise!!!

    • Hey Charlene, you’re very welcome! When forming a New York LLC online, the waiting period usually isn’t more than 15-20 minutes. You should also receive an email with your filed/approved Articles of Organization. Once you have that, you’re good to move on to the EIN Application with the IRS. Hope that helps.

  12. I went to Chase bank today to open a business checking account, but I had a problem. According to the woman helping me, I can not open a bank account because the the name I registered with the state is “business name, LLC”. However, when applying for a FEIN you are not able to put a comma so it is just ” Business Name LLC”. She told me that chase would freeze me account after 10 days if I opened an account. Please let me know if I filed correctly, or if she is wrong. Thank you!

    • Hey Mariopio, that’s kind of ridiculous and I’ve never heard of that. The IRS “normalizes” all EIN applications for LLCs and removes the comma (if used). Do you have any updates at this time?

  13. my birth name is Mendel, which is how it states on my State I.D., but when I filed the dos-1239 online, I abbreviated my name to Manny as the organizer, however, the bank won’t accept this Articles of Organization, as the name the organizer does not match the exact name that appears on my State I.D., is it possible to change the records with the DOS to reflect the name Mendel versus Manny as the Organizer?

    Regards, pls reply asap

    • Hi Manny, yes, you can correct this. However, you’re using LLC language (“Organizer” and “Articles of Organization”), but you said you filed DOS 1239, which is a Certificate of Incorporation (for a Corporation). Did you form an LLC or a Corporation? There are different forms used for the correction depending on which entity it is.

      • Thank you for your reply. The dos-1239-f-11 (Rev. 02/12) is an Acknowledgment Copy Articles of Organization. Pls notify how to correct the above problem, Manny

  14. What Amazing INFORMATION!!! I am so amazed with your help, I was able to open an LLC! Thank you! My question: When I filed and got a receipt from my STATE OF FILING, was that confirmation that I was approved? Or is it after the publication that I am approved? Thank you again for all of this fantastic iformation!

    • Hi Milagros, thank you! And you’re very welcome! Yes, that receipt means the LLC went into existence, aka, it was approved. You can think of the publication requirements as a post-approval requirement. Hope that helps :)

  15. Hello Matt,

    We just got approved for a “Non-business purpose” LLC.

    1. Does that mean that we should operate as a not-for-profit organization? Or is there any differences between “Non-business purpose LLC” and “not-for-profit organization”?

    2. In this case, what shall we do about EIN?

    Thank you!

    • Hi Miki, I’m not sure what a “non-business purpose” LLC is. However, I do know that it’s not a Non-profit.

  16. Hi Matt,
    Great work you have done. Thank you!

    I applied EIN for my LLC. I got the EIN. While I filled up the form, I only wrote the name of my LLC. i.e. “Somename” not “Somename LLC”. Everything I filled is correct except I am little unsure about whether I have to put “LLC” after the name while I applied for the EIN.


    • Hey Singh, thank you! Yes, I would make sure “LLC” is in the name. While you can mail a letter to the IRS to correct it, it’s easier to just apply for another EIN and cancel the first EIN. You don’t have to wait for the cancellation confirmation letter before applying for another EIN. Hope that helps.

  17. Hi Matt
    I received TR-570 LLC/LLP Request for Information form from the NY State Department of Taxation and Finance mail to the Northwest Registered Agent office in Albany need to be completed and send back in 15 days. I’m not sure why they send me a TF number since I have the EIN.

    There is part 1. New Address Information. (Update address information here). Asking for Mailing address and Business Physical Address. Should I list the business mailbox with street address in Queens? Will this affect the business registered in Albany before the publication complete? The publication is running right now.

    Thank you

    • Hi Mag, in the NY LLC/LLP Request for Information, just enter/update your EIN number. When these letters are sent out, the NY Department of Finance & Taxation doesn’t have your EIN on file. And you can just use whatever your actual business and mailing address are. It won’t affect your Albany address and the newspaper publication requirements.

      p.s. The form says it’s due within 15 days, but this isn’t enforced, and there’s no penalties if it’s submitted late. It’s not a binding form, it’s just informational in nature. The NY Department of Taxation & Finance just wants to know what type of returns they should expect from your LLC. Hope that helps.

        • Hi Alex, you’re welcome. We don’t recommend ignoring the LC/LLP Request for Information.

      • I also got this form. When you say “It won’t affect your Albany address and the newspaper publication requirements.”, that means what our address won’t be published to the public, correct? Currently I use Northwest because of your advice — but I’m using them primarily for privacy reasons / public records, but would prefer all the tax notices/letters from the state/IRS to just come to home, where I run an online business. If we put our home address for this, the northwest RA address will still stay up as our public RA right?

        Also, they have two different boxes, one for mailing address and one for physical address. Should we put the RA for the physical address but the mailing address as our home? Again, I’d just like to get my mail without my home address being posted everywhere/online.

        • Hi Ben, correct. The information submitted to the New York Department of Taxation and Finance doesn’t go on public record. And yes, if you use your home address on the LLC/LLP Request for Information (and with the IRS), the Northwest address will still be listed with the New York Division of Corporations. You can just list your address in both the physical and mailing address sections. Hope that helps.

  18. I’ve already obtained an EIN for the LLC I’ve yet to obtain. What’s the best way to avoid confusion? Should I apply for a second EIN? Thanks

    • Hi Charmain, if the EIN was applied for correctly (correct LLC name, etc.) and then later your LLC is approved, then it’s okay to leave things as-is. The IRS doesn’t check to make the LLC exists first before granting an EIN, so if the LLC is approved, you’re good. If the LLC is rejected and you need to refile under a new LLC name, then you should cancel the first EIN, submit your new LLC filing to the state, wait for LLC approval, and then obtain a new EIN. Hope that helps :)

  19. Hi Matt,

    On 3. Addresses – Where is the LLC physically located?
    I have fill in the actual address of the LLC which is in Queens, NY. I have a home based business, since most of my mail will be going to my mailbox with street address, is that OK to use?

    On 4. Details – Tell us about the LLC.
    Under “County where the LLC locate:”, it automatically changes to QUEENS, since the address is located in Queens, NY. Should I change the county to ALBANY, since i have registered the LLC in Albany using Northwest Registered Agent address due to publication requirement.

    Thank you.

    • Hi Mag, great question. Yes, you’re okay (and it’s best) to use your actual address for the EIN application. You don’t have to worry about the Albany office address while obtaining your EIN. I’d keep your Queens address listed with the IRS as you’ve mentioned. Hope that helps :)

      • Hi Matt,

        On 3. Addresses – Where is the LLC physically located?
        You mean it is OK to use the mailbox with street address, not the home address? I have use the mailbox address. Hopefully is ok and don’t need to change.Thank you.

        • Hey Mag, yes, you should fine using a mailbox with a street address. The IRS doesn’t care too much. As long as it’s a street address where you can receive mail, all should be good.

  20. Thank you so much, Matt! These tutorial videos are amazing. After watching them, I registered my LLC and requested EIN from IRS. I have a stupid question —
    On the EIN document(CP 575 A), what is the purpose of the very last piece that says”Return this part with any correspondence…..”? Do I have to fill it out and return to IRS?

    • Hey Jay, you’re very welcome! Thanks for the kind words. You really don’t have to worry about that. It just means that if you contact the IRS about your LLC to include that slip… but you actually don’t even have to do that. If you contact the IRS in the future, just make sure to include the name of your LLC, EIN, the LLC’s address, and your phone number. This helps the IRS identify your account and contact the right person if they have questions. Hope that helps!

  21. Hello, I noticed the online application asks for the physical location of the LLC, and an optional mailing address, then later on, asks for the county where the LLC is located. If I am using the Albany address of my registered agent for the articles of organization, should I be using the Albany address for the physical location and for the county?

    • Hi Chele, if you’re completing the publication requirements in Albany, but you actually have a different NY address, you can just use your actual address with the IRS. You don’t have to provide a separate mailing address. The IRS and the NY DOS are not in communication regarding your LLC’s address/location. Hope that helps.

  22. Hello LLC University,

    Can I PLEASE have your permission to copy & use your Operating Agreement? Thank you so much.

    • Hi Sarah, do you mean copy and use for yourself, or for other purposes?

  23. If I’ve changed the principal address to Albany to fulfill NY publication requirement, should I use that address to apply for EIN and change the address afterwards? Or is it better to wait until the Publication requirement is satisfied, change back address, then apply for the EIN?

    • Hey Jules, great question. The purpose of the IRS asking for an address is to ensure that their mail/correspondence will reach you. No one outside of the IRS should see this address (and there won’t be communication between the IRS and the NY DOS regarding this address), so you don’t have to list the temporary Albany address you used to meet the NY publication requirement. You can just list your normal/regular NY address here. Hope that helps.

Leave a comment or question

Comments are temporarily disabled.