Vermont LLC Business Licenses & Permits

Last updated on

Vermont LLC
Business Licenses and Permits

Quick Start Guide
This Quick Start Guide is a brief overview of how to form an LLC in Vermont.

Detailed Lessons:


Vermont LLC Costs:
Vermont LLC filing fee: $125
Vermont LLC annual report fee: $35

Need to save time?
Hire a professional to form your LLC in Vermont:
Northwest ($39 + state fee) or LegalZoom ($149 + state fee)

(check out Northwest vs LegalZoom)

After you form a Vermont LLC, you may need to obtain a business license and/or permit for your business.

Your requirements are determined by the industry you are in and where your Vermont LLC is located.

Not complying with business license and permit requirements may result in penalties and fines.

Need help? If you don’t want to make phone calls and determine your licensing requirements yourself, we recommend using IncFile.

State Resources

The Vermont Secretary of State maintains a webpage with the list of business licenses and permits your LLC may need, and the contact details of the offices and agencies that issue them:

There are also additional resources here:

Professional Licensing

If your LLC renders professional services (ex: accountant, architect, doctor, lawyer, nursing, etc.), you’ll need to contact your industry’s Professional Licensing board:

Municipal Permits and Zoning

Contact the office of the municipality where your LLC is located to find out if your business needs a license and/or permit to operate:
(downloads/opens an Excel spreadsheet)

The state website also contains a directory of local officials:

Act 250 Permit

If you want to make improvements to your LLC’s facilities, then you need to contact the state’s District Environmental Coordinator and ask if you’ll need a Land Use Permit (Act 250 Permit). You can contact their office by phone at 802-828-1556. You can also get in touch with a regional office: Vermont DEC: Wastewater Systems and Potable Water Supplies (see “Regional Office Program”).


If you plan on putting a sign at your LLC’s place of business, then you need to contact a VTrans District Manager for a permit:

If you plan on putting what’s called an Official Business Directional Sign (OBDS) on the highway, then you’ll need to contact the Agency of Transportation:

Also, the municipality where your LLC is located may also require permits before you can post any signs. We recommend contacting them to make sure your LLC remains compliant.

Other Agencies and Resources

Vermont Agency of Agriculture, Food, and Markets (VAAFM)
Retail Licensing Requirements

Vermont Department of Environmental Conservation Agency of Natural Resources

– Regional Permit Specialists:

– The Vermont Permit Handbook:

– The Environmental Assistance Office:
(or call 800-974-955)

Vermont Department of Economic Development

Agency of Commerce & Community Development

Regional Development Corporations (RDCs)

Vermont Division of Emergency Management & Homeland Security

Department of Public Safety

Emergency Planning & Community Right‐to‐Know Act (EPCRA)

Need Help?

If you don’t want to make phone calls and determine your licensing requirements yourself, we recommend using IncFile.

Next Step

After you’ve researched and obtained the proper licenses and permits for your Vermont LLC, you can then proceed to the next lesson: Vermont LLC Taxes.

Matt Horwitz
Founder & Educator, LLC University®
Forming an LLC shouldn't be so complicated. Our step-by-step guide will make the process a breeze – and no complex legal jargon! LLC University® teaches people how to form an LLC for free in all 50 states. We hope you find our free guides and resources helpful in your business journey.

Leave a comment or question

Comments are temporarily disabled.