How to change your LLC name with the IRS

Home » How to change your LLC name with the IRS

Need to save time?

Hire a company to form your LLC:
Northwest ($39 + state fee)
LegalZoom ($149 + state fee)

You must Change your LLC Name with the state first. After you file that Amendment and it’s approved, you can use the instructions on this page to update the IRS.

How to change your LLC name with the IRS will depend on how your LLC is taxed.

Note: There is no cost associated with changing your LLC name with the IRS.

LLC taxed as a C-Corporation

If your LLC is taxed like a C-Corp, you don’t have to mail a special letter to the IRS.

Simply check off “name change” at the top of Form 1120 when taxes are filed.

LLC taxed as an S-Corporation

If your LLC is taxed like an S-Corp, you don’t have to mail a special letter to the IRS.

Simply check off “name change” at the top of Form 1120S when taxes are filed.

Foreign-owned LLC

If you’re a non-US resident/citizen and you own a U.S. LLC, it depends on how many LLC Members there are.

• If your LLC has 2 or more Members, follow the instructions for “LLC taxed as Partnership”.

• If your LLC has 1 Member, follow the instructions for “LLC taxed as Sole Proprietorship”.

Tip: If your LLC has 1 Member, make sure you read about the Form 5472 requirement for foreign-owned Single-Member LLCs.

LLC taxed as a Partnership

An LLC with 2 or more Members is, by default, taxed like a Partnership. You don’t have to mail a special letter to the IRS to change your LLC name.

Simply check off “name change” at the top of Form 1065 when taxes are filed.

Note: If your LLC is owned by a husband and wife in a community property state (and you’ve elected to be taxed as a Qualified Joint Venture), please see “LLC taxed as Sole Proprietorship” below.

LLC taxed as a Sole Proprietorship

An LLC with 1 Member is, by default, taxed like a Sole Proprietorship.

In order to change your LLC name with the IRS, you’ll need to mail them a letter and show proof of the state approving your LLC name change.

You can download our IRS LLC name change letter below and follow the instructions.

IRS LLC name change form

You can download our LLC name change letter and mail it to the IRS:

Enter today’s date at the top of the form.

Prior Business Name:
Enter your prior LLC name.

Please note that the name of the LLC has been changed to:
Enter your new LLC name.

After you have updated your records, please send a written confirmation to:
Enter your mailing address here. It can be any address you’d like. It doesn’t have to match your existing IRS or state records.

Signature & contact info:
An LLC owner must be the one signing this form. Then enter your name, title, and phone number.

Important: If you have a Single-Member LLC, write “Owner” for your title. If you have a Multi-Member LLC, enter “Partner” for your title.

Include a copy of your LLC Amendment from the State

In order to change your LLC name in most states, you’ll file an Amendment (often called Certificate of Amendment or Articles of Amendment) with the Secretary of State or similar agency.

Make sure to include a stamped/approved copy of your LLC’s name change Amendment form with the letter that you mail to the IRS.

IRS mailing addresses

Source: The following information comes from the IRS: Responsible Parties and Nominees page.

Depending on where your LLC is located, you’ll need to mail your “Notification of Business Name Change” (and a copy of your state approved LLC Name Change) to one of the following addresses:

Internal Revenue Service
333 W. Pershing Rd.
Mail Stop 6055 S-2
Kansas City, MO 64108


Internal Revenue Service
M/S 6273
Ogden, UT 84201-0023

Use the Kansas City, Missouri address if your LLC is located in any of the following states:

Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, or Wisconsin.

Use the Ogden, Utah address if your LLC is located in any of the following states:

Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington, or Wyoming.

Note: Use the Ogden, Utah address if your LLC is located outside of the United States.

Approval for IRS LLC name change

On average, it takes about 30 days to receive an LLC name change confirmation letter from the IRS, but please allow 45 to 60 days.

If you don’t get anything back by then, don’t send another letter to the IRS (that can cause more confusion); instead, call them at the phone number below. Provide your LLC name and EIN Number and ask them to check their records and let you know the status. Often you can just ask them over the phone to mail another confirmation letter. They may also be able to fax you a copy as well.

Your approval will be a 2-page letter. Here is what page 1 will look like:

IRS LLC name change approval letter (252C)

IRS contact info

You can contact the IRS at 800-829-4933. Their hours are Monday through Friday from 7am to 7pm, local time (based off of area code you’re calling from).

Where else should you update your LLC name?

You should also update your LLC name with the places listed below.

Yes, it’s a lot. Create a spreadsheet and take it slow. You can do your name changes gradually as your old LLC name will still “work” for a while.

  • business bank account
  • business debit card
  • business checks
  • paypal or other online banking solutions
  • commercial registered agent (if applicable)
  • business credit cards
  • state Department of Revenue (or equivalent agency)
  • local tax office (city, county, township)
  • business licenses and permits
  • website, domain registrar, hosting company
  • utility companies
  • letterhead, logos, invoices, contracts, and important documents
  • accountant
  • attorney
  • online account registrations
  • anywhere else you do business

Note: Form 8822-B is not for an LLC name change

Form 8822-B (“Change of Address or Responsible Party — Business”) cannot be used to update an LLC name with the IRS.

Form 8822-B is used to change an LLC address with the IRS and/or to change the LLC EIN responsible party.

Matt Horwitz
Matt Horwitz
Matt Horwitz has been the leading expert on LLC education for the past decade. He founded LLC University in 2010 after realizing people needed simple and actionable instructions to start an LLC that other companies weren't offering. He's cited by Entrepreneur Magazine, Yahoo Finance, and the US Chamber of Commerce, and was featured by CNBC and InventRight.
Matt holds a Bachelor's Degree in business from Drexel University with a concentration in business law. He performs extensive research and analysis to convert state laws into simple instructions anyone can follow to form their LLC - all for free! Read more about Matt Horwitz and LLC University.

Want our free email course?

Get simple LLC lessons sent right to your inbox.

Thanks! You're subscribed √
Your email address is already subscribed.

18 comments on “IRS LLC Name Change”

Disclaimer: Nothing on this page shall be interpreted as legal or tax advice. Rules and regulations vary by location. They also change over time and are specific to your situation. Furthermore, this comment section is provided so people can share their thoughts and experience. Please consult a licensed professional if you have legal or tax questions.

  1. Dear Matt ,

    I already changed the LLC name. That is updated on gov website with new LLC name. I want to report IRS for my name change LLC. But I didn’t get any a stamped/approved copy of my LLC’s name change Amendment form. So what should I do next ?

    Best regards ,

    • Hey Zar, I’d contact the Secretary of State and ask for a copy of the filed Amendment/Name Change, to include with the letter to the IRS.

  2. Hi Matt!

    I have a question I live in North Carolina and submitted form L-17 Amendment of Articles of Organization for a name change on my LLC. Do I have to submit form L-16 Articles of Restatement as well?

    This has all been a learning process. Since I am learning I already went ahead and informed the IRS of the name change but I only attached the amendment approval form.

    Appreciate your help!
    Brianda Ramos

    • Hi Brianda! No, the Amendment of Articles of Organization (L-17) is enough. Not need to file L-16. Hope that helps :)

  3. Dear Matt,

    We been using your website a lot lately to help us. We changed the name on our LLC because we had no clue on how to do it and was told I could not but we been following step by step on how to do so and everything has been very easy. Wanted to thank you so much for everything.

    Thank you,

    • Hi Brianda, who would tell you that you can’t change your LLC name LOL?! They are very wrong. And you’re very welcome. I’m happy to hear we can help :)

  4. I sent in a letter that I drafted that included this but I did not include my letter from the state showing the name change I just referenced the SOS filing number in the letter along with the prior name and EIN. Should I send something in or just wait for the response or what?

    • Hi Blake, apologies for the slow reply. Did you receive correspondence back from the IRS?

  5. Thank you Matt!! The information and forms in this site are VERY helpful. The LLC name change form with pre-printed mailing address and fields has answered my questions. I wish everything in life was so easy!

    • Hi Michele, ​apologies for the slow reply. You’re so welcome! Thank you so much for the kind words. We’re happy that you found everything so easy :)

  6. What happens if I put member/manager on the LLC business name change paper versus Owner. Will they still change it? It’s going on almost 45 days now.

    • Hi Sharee, an LLC Member is the same thing as the owner of an LLC. The IRS will only accept correspondence from LLC Members. In a Single-Member LLC (when dealing the the IRS), you’d use the term “Owner”. In a Multi-Member LLC (when dealing with the IRS), you’d use the term “Partner”. This is assuming the LLC is taxed in its default status (and hasn’t elected to be taxed as a C-Corporation or S-Corporation).

  7. Dear Matt,

    Thank you so much for this information on LLC name changes with state and IRS. It is by far the most clear, dummy-proof tutorial on the internet and has helped me tremendously. Otherwise, I may have dropped money on a lawyer to get it done.

    Thank you again,

Leave a comment or question

Comments are temporarily disabled.