Last updated on
How to Change the EIN Responsible Party for your LLC
If the Responsible Party for your LLC has changed, you’ll need to update the IRS as soon as possible, as per their requirements.
Form: 8822-B (“Change of Address or Responsible Party — Business”)
Download Form 8822-B:
Check all boxes this change affects:
You can leave these boxes unchecked.
4a Business name:
Enter your complete LLC name.
4b Employer identification number:
Enter the EIN Number for your LLC.
5, 6, and 7 (addresses):
You can leave these fields blank (unless you are also changing your LLC address with the IRS).
8. New responsible party:
Enter the new Responsible Party’s name. This must be an individual person. It can’t be another company, like an LLC or Corporation.
9. New responsible party’s SSN, ITIN, or EIN:
Enter the new Responsible Party’s SSN (social security number) or ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number).
(related article: How to apply for an ITIN)
• Although the form says “EIN”, you cannot enter an EIN of a company unless you are a government entity. The EIN Responsible Party for your LLC must be a person and you must use their SSN or ITIN.
• If the EIN Responsible Party is a non-US resident/non-US citizen and they don’t have an SSN or ITIN, you can enter “Foreign” on line 9.
Enter your phone number, sign the form, and enter today’s date and your title.
- use “owner” if Single-Member LLC taxed as a Sole Proprietorship
- use “partner” if Multi-Member LLC taxed as a Partnership
- use your officer title if the LLC is taxed as an S-Corp or C-Corp
IRS mailing addresses
At the bottom of 8822-B you’ll see the two different IRS mailing addresses. I know it says “old address”, but you can just ignore that. Choose the mailing address that reflects with your LLC’s current location.
Internal Revenue Service
Cincinnati, OH 45999-0023
Internal Revenue Service
Ogden, UT 84201-0023
Note: There is no street address needed. The IRS is so big that they have their own zip code.
Make a copy of 8822-B
Make a copy of Form 8822-B for your records before mailing it to the IRS.
Need a new EIN Confirmation Letter?
On average, it takes about 30 days to receive a confirmation letter from the IRS, but please allow 45 to 60 days.
After that time has passed, call the IRS by phone (see below) and ask them to mail you an EIN Verification Letter (147C). This is a confirmation letter for your EIN Number which will show the new Responsible Party.
IRS contact info
You can contact the IRS at 800-829-4933. Their hours are Monday through Friday from 7am to 7pm, local time (based off the area code you’re calling from).
Form 8822-B is not for an LLC name change
If you need to change your LLC name with the IRS, you can’t do that with Form 8822-B.
We have instructions here: change LLC name with the IRS.