Last updated December 5, 2020

How to change your LLC address with the IRS

You need to file Form 8822-B to change your LLC’s address with the IRS

If your LLC’s physical location and/or mailing address has changed, you’ll want to update the IRS as soon as possible to make sure you get all your LLC’s mail.

While there are 4 ways you can update the IRS (tax return, phone call, written statement, or Form 8822-B), we recommend using Form 8822-B for a few reasons:

  • Even if you update your address via your tax return, we’ve seen mail still getting sent to an old address. This is quite dangerous since the IRS can send you a notice or document to your LLC’s “last known address” and it’s legally effective and enforceable.
  • Using Form 8822-B creates a better paper trail. Once Form 8822-B is processed, the IRS will mail you back a confirmation letter within 30-45 days.
  • We feel Form 8822-B is the simplest method with the best results.

Therefore, the instructions below will only be discussing Form 8822-B.

Form 8822-B instructions for LLC change of address

Download Form 8822-B:

Before you begin:

You’ll see a message at the top of 8822-B regarding a personal home address change. If in addition to changing your LLC’s address, you’re also changing your personal address (many people use their personal address for their LLC), then you’ll also want to report that change on Form 8822.

Note: Form 8822 is for individuals and Form 8822-B is for businesses (like LLCs) which is why you’ll need to submit both forms.

Check all boxes this change affects:

Check off the items containing the provisions that may be affected by your LLC’s change of physical location and/or mailing address:

  • If your LLC is taxed as a Sole Proprietorship (default status for Single-Member LLC), you’ll most likely check off box #3.
  • If your LLC is taxed as Partnership (default status for Multi-Member LLC), you’ll most likely check off box #1 and box #3.
  • If your LLC is taxed as an S-Corp or C-Corp, you’ll most likely check off box #1 and box #3.

(related article: how is my LLC taxed?)

4a Business name:

Enter your complete LLC name.

Note: You can’t change your LLC name using this form. Please see how to change your LLC name with the IRS.

4b Employer identification number:

Enter the EIN Number for your LLC.

5. Old mailing address:

Enter your LLC’s old mailing address.

6. New mailing address:

Enter your LLC’s new mailing address.

This is the address the IRS will use to mail you documents, reminders, and notices.

7. New business location:

Tip: We recommend leaving #7 empty.

Here’s the deal:

Most LLC’s haven’t given the IRS their physical address.

Although you may have entered an actual physical address when you got an EIN Number for an LLC, the IRS treats this address as a “mailing address”.

The IRS doesn’t really care where your LLC is physically located. They just need a mailing address (#6).

(Additionally, you’re not required to give the IRS a physical address for your LLC.)

So if you’ve never changed your address with the IRS before, then the IRS doesn’t have one on file (they just have a mailing address on file). And if this is true, we recommend leaving #7 blank.

Why: If you ever need to change your LLC’s address by phone, the IRS will allow you to change your LLC’s mailing address over the phone. But they won’t let you change an LLC’s physical address by phone. We ran into a headache with this exact same issue a few years ago and we want to make sure you don’t have to deal with the same thing.

On all of our entities, we only use mailing addresses with the IRS… and we never enter a physical address (#7) when we have to file an 8822-B.

8. New responsible party:

Leave this blank (unless you are also changing the LLC’s Responsible Party).

9. New responsible party’s SSN, ITIN, or EIN:

Leave this blank (unless you are also changing the LLC’s Responsible Party).

10. Signature:

Enter your phone number, sign the form, and enter today’s date and your title.


  • use “owner” if Single-Member LLC is taxed as a Sole Proprietorship
  • use “partner” if Multi-Member LLC is taxed as a Partnership
  • use your officer title if the LLC is taxed as an S-Corp or C-Corp

IRS mailing addresses for Form 8822-B

Your LLC’s old mailing address will determine where you need to mail 8822-B.

Please double-check the mailing addresses listed below with the information provided in Form 8822-B.

If your old LLC mailing address was located in Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, or Wisconsin:

Mail 8822-B to:
Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service
Kansas City, MO 64999


If your old LLC mailing address was located in Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington, or Wyoming:

Mail 8822-B to:
Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service
Ogden, UT 84201-0023


  • There is no street address needed. The IRS is so big that they have their own zip code.
  • You don’t have to send the IRS any proof of address change.

Make a copy of 8822-B

Make a copy of Form 8822-B for your records before mailing it to the IRS.

Tip: Turn on USPS mail forwarding

You can notify the United States Postal Service (USPS) that you and/or your LLC have moved (called “Change of Address“) and the USPS will forward your mail.

You’ll want to complete the online form twice; once for yourself and once for your LLC.

Private mailbox/Commercial mail receiving agency (CMRA)

If you’re using a private mailbox (PMB) service, also known as a Commercial Mail Receiving Agency (CMRA), you can’t order mail forwarding (change of address) from the USPS. Instead, we recommend creating a spreadsheet to stay organized; and then you’ll need to manually update/change your LLC’s address.

Need a new EIN Confirmation Letter?

On average, it takes about 30 days to receive an LLC address change confirmation letter from the IRS, but please allow 45 to 60 days.

After that time has passed, call the IRS by phone (see contact info below) and ask them to mail or fax you an EIN Verification Letter (147C). This is a confirmation letter for your EIN Number which will show your new address.

IRS contact info

You can contact the IRS at 800-829-4933. Their hours are Monday through Friday from 7am to 7pm, local time (based off the area code you’re calling from).

Form 8822-B is not for an LLC name change

If you need to change your LLC name with the IRS, you can’t do that with Form 8822-B.

We have instructions here: updating your LLC name with the IRS.

Matt Horwitz
Founder & Educator, LLC University®
Forming an LLC shouldn't be so complicated. Our step-by-step guide will make the process a breeze – and no complex legal jargon! LLC University® teaches people how to form an LLC for free in all 50 states. We hope you find our free guides and resources helpful in your business journey.

Copyright protected

Warning: This site is copyright protected and we enforce our rights to the fullest extent of the law. It is illegal to reproduce, distribute, or create derivative works without our written consent.

This does not apply to personal, non-distributive use.