The first step to forming an LLC in Missouri is to search your desired LLC name and make sure it’s available for use.
Missouri LLC Name Requirements
Before searching your LLC name in Missouri, there are a few requirements you need to know:
1. The abbreviations “LLC” or “L.L.C.” must be used at the end of your name. The abbreviation “LLC” is the most common.
2. Because an LLC is not a Corporation, your desired name cannot use the word “Corporation”, “Incorporated,” or their abbreviations (“Corp.”, “Inc.”).
3. Your desired LLC name must be distinguishable. This means it must be different and unique from all other businesses registered in Missouri.
Differences in designators (identifiers at the end of a business name) and differences in grammar do not create distinguishability.
- LLC, L.L.C, Inc., Corp.
- singular, plural, and possessive
- A, An, The
- and, or, &
- hyphens, slashes, periods, commas
- three vs. 3
The following examples are NOT distinguishable:
- Smith Investments, LLC vs. Smith Investments, Inc.
- Apple Farm, LLC vs. Apple Farms, LLC
- Print Shop, LLC vs. The Print Shop, LLC
- Night & Day, LLC vs. Night and Day, LLC
- Peter Paul & Mary Studios, LLC vs. Peter-Paul-Mary Studios, Inc
- Three Teachers Consulting, LLC vs. 3 Teachers Consulting, LLC
Searching the Missouri Name Database
To make sure your LLC name is distinguishable and available for use, you’ll need to search it in the Missouri Business Entity Database.
1. Visit the Missouri Business Entity Database search page:
2. Enter your desired LLC name in the “Business Name” box and click the “Search” button.
Leave out the ending “LLC” and any punctuation. Capitalization doesn’t matter. Enter the first few words of your name. Unless you have a single word for your name, then just enter that.
3. Browse the list of existing Missouri businesses and make sure your name is unique.
- If your desired LLC name is not unique you’ll need to think of a new name or use some creativity and come up with a variation.
- If you see “No Results”, then your desired LLC name is unique and available to use.
- If the results show names that are not too similar to yours (meaning yours is distinguishable), then your desired LLC name is available for use.
Once you find a unique and distinguishable LLC name, you’re ready to select your LLC’s Registered Agent. We’ll discuss this in the next lesson: Missouri Registered Agent.
And check out TRUIC’s business name generator if you need help coming up with an LLC name.
Missouri Secretary of State Contact Info
If you have any questions, you can contact the Missouri Secretary of State: