How to file Articles of Organization for a Missouri LLC
In this lesson, we will walk through filing your Articles of Organization. This is the document that officially forms a Missouri LLC.
You can file your Missouri Articles of Organization online or file by mail.
Note: Filing times may take longer due to the current global situation and government delays. For the most up-to-date LLC processing times, check how long does it take to get an LLC in Missouri.
Missouri LLC Filing Fee:
- Online: $50 fee for immediate approval
- By mail: $105 fee for 5-10 days approval
Note: The “LLC filing fee” (the fee to create a Missouri LLC) is the same thing as the “Articles of Organization fee”. The Articles of Organization is the document, that once approved by the Secretary of State’s office, creates your Missouri LLC.
How much is an LLC in Missouri explains all the fees you’ll pay, including the Articles of Organization filing fee.
We recommend filing online as it’s faster and cheaper. Having said that, you’ll find instructions below on both filing methods.
Instructions for filing Articles of Organization by Mail
Download Missouri Articles of Organization (Form LLC1):
Mail your Articles of Organization with your check or money order (for $105, made payable to the “Secretary of State”) to:
PO Box 778
600 W. Main Street, Room 322
Jefferson City, MO 65102
Instructions for filing Articles of Organization Online
1. Create an online account: https://bsd.sos.mo.gov/LoginWelcome.aspx
(click “Create Account”)
2. Create a username (user ID), set a password, enter your contact information, agree to the terms, and click “Create Account”.
After your account is created, enter your User ID and password again, then click “Login”.
3. Click “Business Entity Online Filing”.
4. Under “LLC Filings”, click “Create LLC”.
5. Under the “Create a New Entity” tab, click the “Domestic or Foreign” box and select “Domestic”. Then click “BEGIN”.
6. Leave the “Name Reservation Number” box blank (unless you have one). This is not a requirement.
7. Enter the full name of your LLC, including your preferred capitalization. The abbreviations “LLC” or “L.L.C.” must be used at the end of your name. The abbreviation “LLC” is the most common. Then click “Next”.
8. Enter the General Info for your LLC.
- Duration: Perpetual
- Managed by: Member
- Purpose: “Any or all lawful business for which a limited liability company may be organized under the laws of the State of Missouri.”
- Future Effective Date: leave blank
- Series LLC: leave blank
Pro tip: If you’re forming your LLC in October, November, or December, and you don’t need your business open those months, forward date your filing to January 1st. This will save you the hassle of doing unnecessary taxes. If you’re forming your LLC in October, November, or December, and you need your business open those months, just leave this blank.
9. Select your Registered Agent.
- Related article: Who can be your LLC’s Registered Agent in Missouri?
If your LLC’s Registered Agent is you (or a friend/family member):
- Select the “Reg. Agent is Individual” option
- Enter the individual’s first and last name
- Click the “I Do Not Want to Search” button
- Enter the individual’s name (again) and contact information
- Click “Save Reg. Agent” button
- Then click “Next” button to proceed to next step
If you’ve hired a Commercial Registered Agent (such as Northwest Registered Agent):
- Select the “Reg. Agent is Organization” option
- Enter the company name (ex: Northwest Registered Agent)
- Click “Search Reg. Agent” button
- Click the “Select” button to the left of the company you want
- Then click “Next” button to proceed to next step
10. Add the LLC’s Organizer (you).
Select “Organizer is individual”, check off the “Organizer” box, enter your contact information, then click the “Save Organizer” button.
Then click the “Next” button to proceed to next step.
11. Review your filing.
Review your filing and check for any typos. Once correct, agree to the terms at the bottom and click the “Next” button to proceed.
12. Sign the Articles of Organization online.
Click the “Add Signer” button, enter your name, select your title (select “Organizer”), then click the “Save” button.
Click the box at the bottom agreeing to the terms and then click the “Next” button.
13. Review your shopping cart (you should see 1 Articles of Organization) and then click the “Next” button.
14. Select “Credit Card” from the drop down, enter your billing information, agree to the terms at the bottom, and then click the “Next: Submit Payment” button.
Note: You can only use a credit card. Debit cards are not accepted.
Approval of MO Articles of Organization
After payment goes through, your LLC is now official! You’ll see 3 PDFs at the top of the page to download/print:
- Articles of Organization (a copy of the documents you submitted)
- Certificate of Organization (your official approval)
- Order Summary (your receipt)
We strongly recommend you print and save them to your computer.
Here’s what the page will look like:
Note: You’ll use your Certificate of Organization and EIN to open a business bank account.
Once you receive your approved Articles of Organization, you can then proceed to the next lesson: Operating Agreement.
Missouri Secretary of State Contact Info
If you have any questions, you can contact the Missouri Secretary of State: