Missouri LLC

How to Form an LLC in Missouri

How to Form an LLC in MissouriA Missouri Limited Liability Company (LLC) is a legal structure used to protect your personal assets (home, car, bank account) in the event your business is sued.

An LLC can be used to operate a business, or an LLC can be used to hold assets (such as real estate, vehicles, boats, or aircraft).

Forming an LLC in Missouri is simple. Search your desired Missouri LLC name and designate your Registered Agent.

File your LLC Articles of Organization and pay the state filing fee ($50 if filed online, $105 if filed by mail).

After your Missouri LLC is approved, complete your Operating Agreement and get your Federal Tax ID Number from the IRS.

We’ve created a free course that will walk you through forming your own Missouri LLC step-by-step.

On desktop, the lessons are listed on your right. On mobile, the lessons are listed at the bottom of the page.

Need to save time? Hire a professional to form your LLC in Missouri:
Northwest ($39 + state fee) or LegalZoom ($149 + state fee)
Matt Horwitz on LinkedinMatt Horwitz on TwitterMatt Horwitz on Youtube
Matt Horwitz
Founder & Educator at LLC University
Forming an LLC shouldn't be so complicated. Our step-by-step guide will make the process a breeze – and no complex legal jargon! We teach people how to form an LLC for free in all 50 states. We hope you find our free guides and resources helpful in your entrepreneurial journey.


  1. Trudi June 18, 2018

    I filed a 2 member llc (to run a campground) a few weeks ago, my daughter and myself, and this week she decided she did not want to be a partner. I have not filed for a federal tax number yet since we are still writing our operating agreement. What steps do I need to take to change the llc from a partnership in Missouri to a sole proprietorship?

    • Matt Horwitz June 19, 2018

      Hi Trudi, careful with your language. The only mention of Sole Proprietorship or Partnership takes place with the IRS and the Department of Revenue. With the Secretary of State (and in terms of state law), your LLC is simply an LLC. They don’t care about how the LLC files taxes. (Related article: how are LLCs taxed). The Missouri LLC Articles of Organization also doesn’t ask for Member info, so you actually don’t have to file anything with the Secretary of State. Instead, you’d just apply for your EIN and enter 1 Member. That is how your LLC will be taxed as a Sole Proprietorship by the IRS. And you’ll just create a new Operating Agreement showing you’re the sole owner. Hope that helps!


Leave a Comment