Missouri LLC Registered Agent

Home » Missouri LLC » Missouri LLC Registered Agent

Deal alert! Our favorite company, Northwest, is forming LLCs for $39 (60% off!) See details.

Before filing your Articles of Organization with Missouri, you need to select a Registered Agent for your LLC.

A Registered Agent is a person or company who agrees to accept legal mail on behalf of your LLC in case your business gets sued.

In most states, your Registered Agent will also serve as a general point of contact for receiving business and tax notices, payment reminders, and other documents.

Your Registered Agent must have a physical address in Missouri (PO Boxes are not allowed).

Your Registered Agent must also be available during normal business hours (9am – 5pm) in case Service of Process arrives. Service of Process for an LLC includes delivery of documents such as complaints, summons, and/or subpoenas.

Special offer: If you hire Northwest to form your LLC ($39 + state fee), they’ll include their Registered Agent service free for the 1st year.

Missouri Registered Agents can’t use a Personal Mailbox (PMB), Commercial Mail Receiving Agency (CMRA), or any other mailbox service

As per the Secretary of State’s rules, your Missouri Registered Agent must have a physical street address located in Missouri.

Again, their address cannot be a PO Box.

Furthermore, the Registered Agent’s address cannot be a Private Mailbox (PMB) or Commercial Mail Receiving Agency (CMRA).

Some examples of PMBs and CMRAs include, but are not limited to:

  • Goin’ Postal
  • Mailbox Too
  • Pack N’ Ship
  • Postal Annex
  • Postal Express
  • PostNet
  • The Mail Center
  • The UPS Store
  • and any other mailbox rental facility

Who Can Be Your Registered Agent in Missouri?

When forming an LLC in Missouri, you have 3 options:

Option 1: You can be your LLC’s Registered Agent.

Option 2: A friend or family member can be your LLC’s Registered Agent.

Option 3: You can hire a Commercial Registered Agent.

Important: If your Registered Agent is going to be an individual (you, a friend, or a family member), that individual needs to be a resident of Missouri.

How Do I Know Which One to Choose?

If you have a physical address in Missouri (such as a home or office), and are available during business hours, you can serve as your LLC’s Registered Agent.

If you don’t have a physical address in Missouri, you can use a friend or family member’s address. They’ll need to agree to be your Registered Agent, have a physical address in Missouri, and be available during business hours.

If you don’t have a physical address in Missouri, and you don’t have a friend or family member’s address that you can use (or prefer not to), you can hire a Commercial Registered Agent.

Using a Commercial Registered Agent offers a degree of privacy in most states and is usually a more reliable setup.

Commercial Registered Agent

If you need to hire a Commercial Registered Agent in Missouri, we recommend Northwest Registered Agent ($125 per year).

Why we recommend Northwest Registered Agent

Northwest Registered Agent is our personal recommendation (and the service we use ourselves) because they’ve been in business for over 20 years, have great customer service, and they let you use their address in your entire LLC filing in order to keep your address off public record.

How to keep your address off public records:

Many filers in Missouri start businesses from their home. For this reason, it’s important to know that all addresses that are on your LLC’s Articles of Organization get listed on public record and may appear in google searches.

If you were thinking of using your home address, but would rather keep it off public records, you can hire a Registered Agent that will allow you to use their address throughout your Articles of Organization. Northwest Registered Agent offers this unique service at no additional cost. They offer Registered Agent services for $125 per year and they’ll let you use their address throughout your Articles of Organization.

Any mail that is sent to your LLC will be scanned by them and uploaded into your online account.

Special discounted pricing for LLC University® readers

Northwest usually charges $100 + state fees to form an LLC. However, we’ve negotiated a discounted rate (60% off) for LLC University® readers.

Special offer: If you hire Northwest to form your LLC ($39 + state fee), they’ll include their Registered Agent service free for the 1st year.

(Check out our Northwest Registered Agent review to learn more)

Are there risks if you, a friend, or family are your LLC’s Registered Agent?

In short, there are risks. They are not likely to occur, but if they do, you could lose your liability protection.

For example, if the state is unsuccessful in reaching your LLC’s Registered Agent, you may lose your good standing status, and the state has the authority to dissolve your LLC.

Additionally, if a process server is unsuccessful in reaching your LLC’s Registered Agent about a lawsuit (they’ll try a few times), the court case can proceed in your absence and you might not even know about it. Worse, the court could enter a default judgment against your LLC if you aren’t there to defend yourself.

A few reasons a process server might not be able to reach your LLC’s Registered Agent:

  • you, your friend, family member are not there during business hours
  • you/they are on vacation
  • you moved and forgot to file a Change of Registered Agent with the state

Hiring a Commercial Registered Agent is a more reliable setup and gives you the freedom to take vacations and not worry about changing your Registered Agent address if you move.

Many Commercial Registered Agents will also help keep your LLC in compliance by sending you reminders of annual reporting requirements.

Next Step

Once you determine who will serve as your Missouri LLC’s Registered Agent, you can then proceed to the next Lesson: Articles of Organization.

If you need to hire a Commercial Registered Agent, please do so before going to the next step.

What do you think?

Can you take 10 seconds and rate this lesson?

Matt Horwitz

Matt Horwitz
Founder & Educator, LLC University®
Matt Horwitz has been the leading expert on LLC education for the past decade. He founded LLC University in 2010 after realizing people needed simple and actionable instructions to start an LLC that other companies weren't offering. He's cited by Entrepreneur Magazine, Yahoo Finance, and the US Chamber of Commerce, and was featured by CNBC and InventRight.
Matt holds a Bachelor's Degree in business from Drexel University with a concentration in business law. He performs extensive research and analysis to convert state laws into simple instructions anyone can follow to form their LLC - all for free! Read more about Matt Horwitz and LLC University.

8 comments on “Missouri Registered Agent”

Disclaimer: Nothing on this page shall be interpreted as legal or tax advice. Rules and regulations vary by location. They also change over time and are specific to your situation. Furthermore, this comment section is provided so people can share their thoughts and experience. Please consult a licensed professional if you have legal or tax questions.

  1. If I want to become my own registered agent, do I have to submit an application to do so first before I submit my articles? Thanks!

    • Hey Max, nope, you can simply list yourself as the Registered Agent in the Missouri Articles of Organization. That’s all it takes ;) Hope that helps!

  2. Can my LLC be the registered agent for another LLC or does it have to be an individual?

    • Hi Jenni, in most states yes, however, in Missouri, as per Section 347.030, Registered Agents can only be Corporations or individuals. Hope that helps.

  3. Can I lose my home if someone puts my address as an LLC? Are there any tax problems if try to sell my house?

    • Hi Martin, no, you cannot lose your home if someone uses it as the Missouri LLC’s Registered Agent address. You own the home. The LLC does not. No, there will be no tax problems if you sell your home. When you sell your home, you’ll just want to let the person know that the address can no longer be used, you’ll need to send them written notice, and you’ll need to resign as Registered Agent by sending a “Statement of Resignation of Registered Agent of Limited Liability Company” (Form LLC 6) to the Missouri Corporations Division. Hope that helps.

  4. If we choose to use an individual as our Registered Agent when forming the LLC, can we then change to a Commercial Registered Agent in the future?

    • Hi Julie, great question. Yes, you can. An LLC Registered Agent is never “set in stone”. It can be changed at any time you’d like. You can choose an individual first and then switch to a Commercial Registered Agent. Or you start with a Commercial Registered Agent and switch to an individual at any time. The change of Registered Agent in Missouri can be filed online or by mail. The filing fee is just $10. Hope that helps!

Leave a comment or question

Comments are temporarily disabled.


How to form a US LLC

Non-US residents: If you want to form an LLC in the US, we recommend hiring doola.

doola specializes in forming US LLCs for international entrepreneurs.

They'll form your LLC, open your business bank account, and help with taxes. doola also has excellent customer service.

Hope that helps!

Matt Horwitz founder of LLC University
Matt Horwitz
Founder & Educator
LLC University®