Last updated January 25, 2021
How to Form an LLC in Delaware
How to form an LLC in Delaware ← you are here
This Quick Start Guide is a brief overview of how to form an LLC in Delaware.
Delaware LLC costs:
LLC formation cost: $90 (one-time fee)
Annual franchise tax: $300 (every year)
★ Check out Northwest vs LegalZoom
Here is a quick overview on starting an LLC in Delaware
A Delaware Limited Liability Company (LLC) is a legal structure used to protect your personal assets (home, car, bank account) in the event your business is sued.
An LLC can be used to operate a business, or an LLC can be used to hold assets (such as real estate, vehicles, boats, or aircraft).
How to form an LLC in Delaware:
- Search your Delaware LLC name in the state’s database
- Choose who will be your LLC’s Delaware Registered Agent
- File your Delaware Certificate of Formation and pay the $90 LLC filing fee
Delaware LLC approval time: 1-3 weeks, however, if you pay $50 extra ($140 total), the state will approve your Delaware LLC within 1 day.
After your Delaware LLC is approved:
- Complete and sign your LLC’s Operating Agreement
- Get a Federal Tax ID Number (also known as an EIN) from the IRS
- Make sure to pay Delaware Annual Franchise Tax ($300 every year) to keep your LLC in good standing with the State of Delaware
We’ve created a free DIY course that will walk you through forming your Delaware LLC step-by-step.
You can find the detailed lessons linked at the top of this page.
Northwest ($39 + state fee) or LegalZoom ($149 + state fee)
(check out Northwest vs LegalZoom)