Last updated August 18, 2021
How to Form an LLC in Delaware
How to form an LLC in Delaware ← you are here
This Quick Start Guide is a brief overview of how to form an LLC in Delaware.
Delaware LLC costs:
LLC formation cost: $90 (one-time fee)
Annual franchise tax: $300 (every year)
★ Check out Northwest vs LegalZoom
Here is a quick overview on starting an LLC in Delaware
A Delaware Limited Liability Company (LLC) is a legal structure used to protect your personal assets (home, car, bank account) in the event your business is sued.
An LLC can be used to operate a business, or an LLC can be used to hold assets (such as real estate, vehicles, boats, or aircraft).
Important: If you don’t live in, or do business in Delaware, please read why you shouldn’t form an LLC in Delaware.
How to form an LLC in Delaware:
- Search your Delaware LLC name in the state’s database
- Choose who will be your LLC’s Delaware Registered Agent
- File your Delaware Certificate of Formation and pay the $90 LLC filing fee
Delaware LLC approval time: 1-3 weeks, however, if you pay $50 extra ($140 total), the state will approve your Delaware LLC within 1 day.
Note: Filing times may take longer due to the current global situation and government delays. Please see how long does it take to get an LLC in Delaware.
After your Delaware LLC is approved:
- Complete and sign your LLC’s Operating Agreement
- Get a Federal Tax ID Number (also known as an EIN) from the IRS
- Make sure to pay Delaware Annual Franchise Tax ($300 every year) to keep your LLC in good standing with the State of Delaware
We’ve created a free DIY course that will walk you through forming your Delaware LLC step-by-step.
You can find the detailed lessons linked at the top of this page.
Northwest ($39 + state fee) or LegalZoom ($149 + state fee)
(check out Northwest vs LegalZoom)