Last updated February 7, 2021
How to get a copy of my EIN Verification Letter (147C) from the IRS for my LLC?
When you first get an EIN Number, the IRS sends you an EIN Confirmation Letter (CP 575).
- If you got your EIN Number online, you can download the CP 575 online
- If you got your EIN Number by mail or fax, the IRS will mail you a CP 575 (it’s mailed to the address you listed on 4a and 4b of Form SS-4; takes 4-6 weeks to arrive)
Note: If you are a Third Party Designee, you cannot download the CP 575 if applying online. The CP 575 will be mailed to the EIN Responsible Party.
Some people lose the CP 575 EIN Confirmation Letter and need an official copy of their LLC’s EIN Number for things like opening an LLC bank account.
The IRS only issues the EIN Confirmation Letter (CP 575) one time. You can’t get this letter again. In fact, “CP” means the letter was auto-generated by a computer. So even if you call the IRS, no one there can recreate the CP 575.
However, there is good news. You can still get an official “EIN Letter” from the IRS. It’s just not called an EIN Confirmation Letter (CP 575).
Instead, it’s called an EIN Verification Letter (147C).
The CP 575 and 147C are technically different letters, however, they are both official letters from the IRS and can be used for all business matters.
Here is what an EIN Confirmation Letter (CP 575) looks like:
Here is what an EIN Verification Letter (147C) looks like:
How to get a 147C EIN Verification Letter from the IRS
The only way to get an EIN Verification Letter (147C) is to call the IRS at 1-800-829-4933.
For security reasons, the IRS will never send anything by email. Instead, the IRS will send you an EIN Verification Letter (147C) two ways:
- by mail
- by fax (you can use an actual fax or a digital/online fax)
147C by mail
If you choose mail, it can take 4-6 weeks before your EIN Verification Letter (147C) arrives.
The IRS will mail your 147C Letter to the mailing address they have on file for your LLC. You’ll be able to confirm this address when you’re on the phone with the IRS agent.
147C by fax
If you choose fax, the IRS will fax you the 147C Letter while you’re on the phone.
Tip: The IRS agent will ask, “Do you have a private and secure fax next to you?” If you are using a digital/online fax, say yes.
Here’s how to call the IRS and get a 147C Letter
- Call the IRS at 1-800-829-4933 (the “business and specialty tax line”).
- Press option 1 for English.
- Press option 1 for Employer Identification Numbers.
- Press option 3 for “If you already have an EIN, but you can’t remember it, etc.”
- Tell the IRS agent that you have an LLC and need an EIN Verification Letter (147C).
- The IRS agent will ask a few security questions to confirm you own your LLC.
- Tell the IRS agent whether you’d like to receive the 147C Letter by mail or fax.
Congratulations! You have successfully requested a 147C, EIN Verification Letter for your LLC. We recommend making a few copies and keeping them with your business records.
IRS: Lost or Misplaced Your EIN
IRS: Telephone Assistance Contacts for Business Customers
IRS: About Form SS-4, Application for Employer Identification Number (EIN)
IRS: Internal Revenue Manuals 21.7.1 BMF/NMF Miscellaneous Information
IRS: Internal Revenue Manuals 21.7.13 Assigning Employer Identification Numbers (EINs)