How to Start an LLC in PA (2023 Guide)

Home » Pennsylvania LLC

Need to save time?

Hire a company to form your LLC:
Northwest ($39 + state fee)
LegalZoom ($149 + state fee)

Deal alert! Northwest will form your LLC for $39 (60% discount). See details.

Starting a Pennsylvania LLC

How to start an LLCA Pennsylvania Limited Liability Company (LLC) is a legal business structure used to protect your personal assets (like your home, car, and personal bank account) in the event your company is sued.

A Pennsylvania LLC can be used to operate a business, or an LLC can be used to hold assets (such as real estate, vehicles, boats, and aircraft).

Need to save time? Hire a company to form your LLC:
Northwest ($39 + state fee) or LegalZoom ($149 + state fee)

(We recommend Northwest. We've reviewed all the top companies in the industry. And Northwest is our #1 pick for prices, customer support, and address privacy. Check out Northwest vs LegalZoom to learn more.)

1. LLC Name

LLC namesSearch your desired Pennsylvania LLC name to make sure it’s available for use.

Your name must be unique among the existing businesses registered with the Pennsylvania Department of State: Bureau of Corporations and Charitable Organizations.

Use the Pennsylvania Business Entity Search to confirm that your LLC name is not already in use by another company.

Limited Liability Name Designator

Your LLC name must include a designator at the end. Pennsylvania law allows the following designators:

  • Co.
  • Ltd.
  • LTD
  • LLC (most common)
  • L.L.C.
  • Limited Company
  • Ltd. Liability Co.
  • Limited Liability Co.
  • Ltd. Liability Company
  • Limited Liability Company

2. Registered Office

Registered AgentA Pennsylvania Registered Office is an official address on file with the Pennsylvania Department of State that is used for legal mail (called Service of Process).

Your Registered Office Address must be located in Pennsylvania. And it must be a street address. You can’t use a PO Box. Your Registered Office Address could be:

  • home address
  • office address
  • friend or family member’s address, with their permission
  • the address of a Registered Agent Service (also called a Commercial Registered Office Provider)

Benefit of using a Registered Agent Service: Your address will remain off public records for privacy.

LLCU Recommendation

If you want to hire a Registered Agent Service, we recommend Northwest Registered Agent ($125 per year). Northwest has been in the business for over 20 years and they have great customer support. Any mail that is sent to your LLC will be scanned by them and uploaded to your online account.

Special offer: Hire Northwest to form your LLC ($39 + state fee), and you'll get a free year of Registered Agent service.

(Why is Northwest the best? Read our Northwest Registered Agent review)

3. Certificate of Organization and Docketing Statement

Articles of OrganizationThe Pennsylvania Certificate of Organization is the document you’ll file to officially create your LLC.

PA LLC filing fee: $125

Check out LLC Cost in Pennsylvania for more info on LLC fees.

LLC approval time: 5-6 weeks

Note: Filing times may take longer due to the current global situation and government delays. Please see how long does it take to get an LLC in Pennsylvania.

Filing methods

You can file by mail, or online (recommended).

File online

You can file online using the PA Business One-Stop Hub (Keystone Login required).

File by mail

Send your Certificate of Organization, Docketing Statement, and the filing fee to:

Pennsylvania Department of State
Bureau of Corporations
PO Box 8722
Harrisburg, PA 17105-8722

What you get back

The Pennsylvania Department of State will send you a stamped and approved Certificate of Organization along with a Welcome Letter.

Need to save time? Hire a company to form your LLC:
Northwest ($39 + state fee) or LegalZoom ($149 + state fee)

(Learn why Northwest is #1 in Northwest vs LegalZoom)

4. LLC Operating Agreement

Operating AgreementThe Pennsylvania Operating Agreement is where the owners (LLC Members) of the LLC are listed. This document governs how much each Member owns, how profits are split, how taxes are paid, and more.

Your Pennsylvania LLC Operating Agreement is an “internal document”. Meaning, you don’t need to send your Operating Agreement to any government agencies. Just keep it with your LLC business records.

If you have a Single-Member LLC in Pennsylvania, it’s still best practice to have an Operating Agreement for your LLC. The bank may ask for one when you go to open a business bank account for your LLC.

Pennsylvania LLC Operating Agreement template: We provide free Pennsylvania Operating Agreement templates for LLCs that you can download here: Pennsylvania LLC Operating Agreement.

5. Federal Tax ID Number (EIN)

EIN Number for an LLCA Pennsylvania EIN Number (aka Employer Identification Number) is issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and is used for opening bank accounts, filing taxes, and employee payroll, if applicable.

Think of the EIN as a “social security number” for your LLC in PA.

Common names: Federal Tax Number, Federal Employer Number, FEIN, Federal Tax ID Number, EIN, Federal Employer Identification Number. These all mean the same thing.

Wait for LLC approval: Only apply for an EIN after your Pennsylvania LLC is approved.

Fee: $0. EINs are free from the IRS. You can obtain an EIN by mail (Form SS-4), fax (855-641-6935), or online (recommended).

If you are a non-US resident or don’t have a social security number, you cannot obtain an EIN online. Mail or fax Form SS-4 and write “Foreign” on line 7b.

6. Annual Report (starting in 2025)

LLC Annual Report

Beginning in 2025, every Pennsylvania LLC will need to file an Annual Report each year to renew their LLC.

Note: Pennsylvania used to require that LLCs file a report every 10 years (called a Decennial Report). However, starting in 2025, the new Annual Report requirement will replace the old Decennial Report.

Whether you already have an LLC, or you just started one, you won’t have to file this until 2025.

We recommend bookmarking the following page and coming back in early 2025:
Pennsylvania LLC Annual Report.

7. Business Licenses and/or Permits

Business LicenseYour LLC might need a Pennsylvania Business License or other permits. You need to contact the city, county, township or borough where your LLC is located to determine if you need a business license and/or permit. These requirements vary widely, depending on where the business is located, and what industry you are in.

If you want to save time, we recommend hiring a professional license company to do the research for you.

Our favorite company is IncFile. They will provide you with a comprehensive package of all license and permit requirements for your Pennsylvania LLC. Just fill out their 1-minute questionnaire to get started.

8. Taxes

LLC TaxesEach company has unique Pennsylvania LLC Taxes requirements, but we can give you an overview of the Limited Liability Company tax situation.

Federal taxes

LLCs have “pass through” taxation. Profits or losses flow through to your personal tax return and are usually listed on a Schedule C.

State and local taxes

Pennsylvania LLCs must register and pay Pennsylvania business taxes with the PA Department of Revenue, as well as your local municipality (ex: city, town, county, etc.).

LLCU Recommendation

We recommend hiring an accountant after your LLC is formed. Read our guide on how to find a great accountant, or check out Thumbtack.

9. LLC Business Bank Account

Open a bank account for your LLC to keep your personal and business assets separate. This helps maintain your liability protection.

Business debit card: Your bank will issue a debit card after you open the account.

Business credit card: You can also get a business credit card to earn points, miles, and other rewards.

Items needed

When you go to open your business bank account, you’ll need to take your:

  • Approved Pennsylvania Certificate of Organization
  • EIN for your LLC
  • Driver’s License

LLCU Recommendation

In addition to your Certificate of Organization and EIN number, some banks may require a copy of your Operating Agreement. We recommend calling your bank ahead of time to double-check which documents are required.

You should also shop around. Some banks charge monthly fees for a business bank account, but others don’t. Call a few banks in PA to compare your options.

10. Business Phone Number

Instead of using your home telephone number or your cell phone, you can purchase an affordable “virtual business number” specifically for your Pennsylvania LLC. You can set this virtual business phone up to forward to your cell phone, go through voice prompts, or configure it any way you’d like.

We recommend using as they have the cheapest plans and their customer service is excellent.

They offer local phone numbers as well as 1-800 toll-free numbers. You can easily set up call forwarding, pre-recorded prompts, and get voicemail messages forwarded to your email.

Getting a separate business phone number for your Pennsylvania LLC is also a good idea in order to keep your actual number private from those pesky “public record” websites.

Pennsylvania Department of State Contact Info

PA Department of State
PA Bureau of Corporations and Charitable Organizations
717-787-1057 (8:00am – 4:45pm, Monday to Friday)

How to Start an LLC in PA FAQs

What are the benefits of an LLC in PA?

There are 2 main benefits of having an LLC in Pennsylvania: personal asset protection and LLC pass-through taxation.

The first benefit of a Pennsylvania LLC is protecting your personal assets. Meaning, if your business is sued, your personal assets – like your home, cars, and bank accounts – are protected.

This protection applies to all LLC owners (called LLC Members). It doesn’t matter if you have a Single-Member LLC or Multi-Member LLC. All of the LLC Members are protected from the business’s debts and liabilities.

This type of protection wouldn’t apply if you operate as a Sole Proprietorship or Partnership.

With a Sole Proprietorship or Partnership, these types of informal business structures, the owners aren’t protected in the event of a lawsuit. For that reason, an LLC as a business entity is a much more common business structure than a Sole Proprietorship or Partnership.

Another benefit is LLC pass-through taxation.

This means the Pennsylvania LLC itself doesn’t pay federal income taxes. Instead, the profits “pass through” to the LLC Members. And the Members report and pay the taxes on their personal tax return.

To learn more, please see How are LLCs taxed.

How much does it cost to start a LLC in PA?

It costs $125 to start an LLC in Pennsylvania. This is the filing fee paid to the Pennsylvania Department of State for submitting your LLC Certificate of Organization.

That said, you may also need to pay for municipal or industry-specific licenses and permits, or get a state-level sales tax permit. The costs of business licenses and permits vary widely by municipality. Reach out to your local municipality if you have any questions about your LLC’s unique needs.

Other documents you may have read you’ll need – like an Operating Agreement or an EIN for your LLC – are free.

Foreign LLCs

If you have an LLC formed in another state, but you want to conduct business in Pennsylvania, you’ll need to register that out-of-state LLC in Pennsylvania and pay the associated filing fee. This is known as a Foreign LLC registration.

You can find Foreign LLC fees on this page: Foreign LLC fees by state

Restricted Professional Companies (PLLCs)

A Restricted Professional Company is one that provides licensed professional services (like accounting, medical, or legal aid).

If you want to form a business entity that offers liability protection, but your business will be providing restricted professional services, you’ll need to form a Professional Limited Liability Company (PLLC).

How long does it take for an LLC to be approved in PA?

It takes about 5-6 weeks to get an LLC in Pennsylvania approved. This is the time it takes for the state to process your Certificate of Organization filing.

You can get an LLC in Pennsylvania by filing online or by mail. We recommend filing your Certificate of Organization online because you don’t have to wait for your documents to be mailed back, so the approval time is faster.

Do I need a Registered Agent for my LLC in PA?

Yes, you are required to have a Registered Agent for your Pennsylvania LLC. A Registered Agent is a person or company who accepts legal documents (called “Service of Process”) for your business entity.

And when you file your Pennsylvania LLC Certificate of Organization, you’ll need to list your Registered Agent’s address (called a “Registered Office Address”).

It’s important to note that the Registered Office Address on file becomes a part of the public record. Many people who prefer privacy and don’t want their home or office address listed publicly choose to hire a Commercial Registered Office Provider (Registered Agent Service).

Special offer: Hire Northwest to form your LLC ($39 + state fee), and you'll get a free year of Registered Agent service.

(Why is Northwest the best? Read our Northwest Registered Agent review)

Can I be my own Registered Agent in PA?

Yes. As per Pennsylvania law, you can be your own Registered Agent in PA if you are resident of the state and you have a physical street address.

Watch the video below for more details:

Is there an annual LLC fee in PA?

There used to not be, however, beginning in 2025, there will be an Annual Report requirement for all Pennsylvania LLCs.

The new Annual Report fee will be $7 per year.

Note: The new Annual Report filing requirement will be replacing the old Decennial Report (which was filed once every 10 years).

How much does it cost to get a DBA in PA?

It costs $70 to get a DBA in Pennsylvania. A Pennsylvania DBA is called a Fictitious Business name.

Learn how to file a Fictitious Business name for a Pennsylvania LLC using our step-by-step guide: How to file a DBA in Pennsylvania.

What is a Registered Office Address?

A Registered Office Address is simply the address of the Registered Agent for your Pennsylvania LLC. This is the address where Service of Process and state notices will be sent.

A Registered Office Address, along with the Registered Agent’s name, goes on public records with the Pennsylvania Department of State.

Your LLC’s business address (where you actually operate the business) can be different from the Registered Office Address.

Is Pennsylvania a good state to start an LLC?

Yes, Pennsylvania is a great state to be a small business owner and start an LLC. Pennsylvania has quick approval times and helpful representatives at the Department of State if you have questions.

However, the most important factors in deciding where to start a business are where you live and where you’re doing business.

Meaning, if you live in or do business in Pennsylvania, then you should start your business in Pennsylvania. While many websites talk about tax rates and advantages of certain states, none of that applies if it’s not the state where you live and do business.

For example, if you form an LLC in Wyoming, but live in and conduct business in Pennsylvania, you’ll also need to register your Wyoming LLC in Pennsylvania (and pay extra fees). And you’ll end up paying Pennsylvania taxes anyway. This ends up leading to more costs and more headaches with no advantages.

In summary, if you live in and conduct business in Pennsylvania, then yes, Pennsylvania is a good state to start a business. If you don’t live in and do business in Pennsylvania, then no, Pennsylvania isn’t a good state to start a business.

For more information, please see Best state to form an LLC.

Does an LLC pay taxes?

From a federal tax standpoint, not exactly. LLCs have what’s called “Passthrough Taxation”. This means that the tax-paying responsibilities from the LLC “pass through” to the owners.

So when it’s time to file taxes, a Single-Member LLC just needs for the owner to report their LLC income – and pay taxes on that income – using their Form 1040 personal tax return.

And Multi-Member LLCs will report their income to the IRS on Form 1065. But the owners will pay the taxes owed on that income using their 1040 personal tax return.

The exception to LLC Pass-through Taxation at the federal-level is if you elect to have your LLC taxed as a C Corporation. However, this is rare.

How to get a Pennsylvania LLC Certificate of Good Standing?

You can get a Pennsylvania LLC Certificate of Good Standing (aka Subsistence Certificate) online or by mail. We have instructions on our website.

Matt Horwitz
Matt Horwitz
Founder & Educator, LLC University®
Matt Horwitz has been the leading expert on LLC education for the past decade. He founded LLC University in 2010 after realizing people needed simple and actionable instructions to start an LLC that other companies weren't offering. He's cited by Entrepreneur Magazine, Yahoo Finance, and the US Chamber of Commerce, and was featured by CNBC and InventRight.
Matt holds a Bachelor's Degree in business from Drexel University with a concentration in business law. He performs extensive research and analysis to convert state laws into simple instructions anyone can follow to form their LLC - all for free! Read more about Matt Horwitz and LLC University.

106 comments on “Pennsylvania LLC”

Disclaimer: Nothing on this page shall be interpreted as legal or tax advice. Rules and regulations vary by location. They also change over time and are specific to your situation. Furthermore, this comment section is provided so people can share their thoughts and experience. Please consult a licensed professional if you have legal or tax questions.

  1. PA no longer does the Decennial report, they passed a law to require an annual report, (Act 122 of 2022) see the Dept of State link here:
    Furthermore, the fee, which was previously $70 every ten years (with decennial filing), is now $7/year with the newly required annual filing.
    Because this was only passed Nov 3, 2022, there still LOTS of incorrect information floating around the internet on this one!!!

  2. Hi Matt,

    Thank you so much for all that you offer here. I was able to create a LLC without any assistance and that is invaluable and I truly appreciate it.

    I have a question in regards to my approval and EIN.

    My LLC was approved on Jan 6 and I did receive an email stating so, but I haven’t received any other correspondence since then via email or mail.

    Will they mail the welcome letter and certificate of organization to me?

    I am wondering if because I set my incorporation date in the future (feb) will they wait until after that date to send the documents?

    I am wanting to create my EIN and am wondering do I have to wait for my start date or will the IRS accept the future date?

    I hope this all makes sense and I appreciate your response. I did call to try and get these answers but after an hour on hold I gave up. Lol

    Thanks so much for any info you can provide.

    • You’re very welcome. I don’t recall off the top of my head if PA sends approval documents for LLCs with a delayed effective date right way, or if they wait. Have you received anything yet? I recommend calling the Corporations Bureau and checking. I’d wait until you know the LLC is approved before you apply for the EIN. Hope that helps.

      • Hi Matt,

        Thank you for your response and sorry it took me a while to get back to you.

        It has been almost a month since our business was approved and incorporated. As of today, we still haven’t received any physical mail correspondence in the form of a welcome letter or stamped certificate of organization approval.

        I am wondering if the forms that were available for me to download when it was approved constitute as the approval and welcome?

        One form has all the Business info, then states “The Bureau of Corporations and Charitable Organizations is happy to send your filed document.” The other is a form DSCB:15-8821 which certifies filing all business info and effective date. Are these the forms they mail?

        I have tried to call the Bureau again, though the hold is just too long.

        I just want to make sure I don’t start the EIN application before I have all the correct information in front of me.

        Also just an update for you, at the end of the filed document letter it states:

        “Beginning in 2024, annual reports are required for all domestic filing entities, limited liability general partnerships and registered foreign associations.”

        Does this mean all LLC’s are required to file an annual report or just LLC partnerships? I see all domestic filing entities and wonder if that is all LLC’s?

        Thanks again for all of your help!

        • You’re very welcome. In the upper corner of DSCB:15-8821, do you see “FILED”? If so, then you’re looking at a stamped and approved Certificate of Organization. It just looks like a regular form though. It doesn’t have seal or stamp (or anything “fancy” looking). And yes, beginning in 2025, Pennsylvania LLCs will have to file a Pennsylvania LLC Annual Report.

          • YES!!! I do see filed, yay! :) I was honestly expecting something a little more “fancy.” My bad. This is great, thank you so much for confirming.

            I am curious about the new annual report and how it will differ from the decennial report. Hopefully they don’t make it too complicated, but I know you have our back on this. :)

            Thanks so much again, your help is priceless!

            • Woo-hoo!! Glad to hear it. I know… there approval is so unassuming, some people don’t notice their LLC has been approved LOL! Regarding the Annual Report, the biggest difference is that it’ll be every year and there will be a filing fee associated with it (so the “maintenance” cost of PA LLCs will be going up a bit). Pennsylvania generally keeps things simple. So I don’t think the filing will be very complicated. I imagine it’ll just be the “keep your info up to date” type of Annual Report. But either way, or our new page will walk you through the filing, so no need to worry ;)

  3. I am in the process of an LLC application in Pennsylvania. Where on the application does the business physical address go? Or, is it not needed?

    It ask for mailing address, registered office, and organizer address.

    • Hey Jeremy, there actually isn’t a place for the business’s physical address on the Pennsylvania Certificate of Organization (or Docketing Statement). The state doesn’t ask for it.

      The only address needed for the Docketing Statement part of the filing is the “Mailing address of individual responsible for initial tax reports“. You can just use your best mailing address for this. This information gets sent to the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue and doesn’t go on public record.

      The only address needed for the Certificate of Organization part of the filing is the Registered Office address (aka the address of the Pennsylvania Registered Agent).

      Note: While an LLC Organizer needs to be entered, the address is optional. Hope that helps!

  4. As a potential entrepreneur, I found your website to be very informative and I know where to come when we decide to form our LLC.

    Thank you m,

  5. I am trying to figure out my statement of purpose for my soon to be health and wellness business. I will be inspiring people to get healthy and be positive through my fitness journey. Providing merch, ebooks, exercise, recipes, consulting, etc. Your website has so much helpful info but I’m still stuck on my statement of purpose.

    • Hi Akilyah, what an amazing business! It sounds like you’re referring to #3 from the Docketing Statement. This is actually not that important. The information is passed to the Department of Revenue, mostly for statistical purposes. It can be as simple as “Fitness products and services” (or anything like this; short and sweet). And don’t worry, you’re not forced to do this forever. You can change, adapt, and pivot your business freely without the need to update this initial description. Hope that helps :)

  6. Hi Matt! Thanks for an awesome site! I am setting up an LLC in PA for anesthesia services, as I mainly do 1099 work. I am finding lots of pros and cons for LLC-sole proprietor vs. an S-Corp. is there a minimum amount of income you would recommend for setting up an S-Corp? It seems like the tax benefits are better with an S-Corp! Would love your thoughts. Thanks so much.

    • Hi Marissa, you’re welcome! Yes, I recommend that the business income be steady and consistent and that there be about $60k-$80k net income per Member to make the costs and administrative work of an LLC taxed as an S-Corp be worth it. We actually need to add a few updates to that page. One important one being the IRS’s “60-month rule”: an LLC that elects S-Corp taxation cannot change that classification for 5 years. The only exception is an LLC that made the S-election when the LLC was formed. Hope that helps :)

  7. Is any way we can switch Fictitious Name to an LLC in PA. We paid a $70 fee on 10/30/2020 but now we realize LLC will be more appropriate. In my research Cancelling a Fictitious Name cost other $70 and then I will need to pay $125 for the LLC. All your insight will be much appreciated.

    Thank you.

    • Hi Liz, there is no such thing as switching a Fictitious Name to an LLC. However, you could form a new LLC and just keep the Fictitious Name open (and not use it). Or you could assign (transfer) the ownership of the Fictitious Name from yourself to your LLC. Hope that helps.

  8. I currently run a sole proprietorship. If I form an LLC and then establish a bank account and maintain separate personal/business records going forward, do I have to also notify past service providers that I am now doing business as XYZ LLC? e.g. If I subscribe to gmail for $5 / month for email do I have to notify them I’m now operating as XYZ LLC or would it not be considered piercing the veil? Secondly, if I form an LLC for my business activities today, could I be sued personally for something business related that happened last year and the LLC would only provide protection after formation date, or would LLC provide personal liability protection from a lawsuit even if said activity happened before LLC formation?



    • Hi Peter, make sure to open the LLC bank account in the name of the LLC and not just a separate personal account. While email may not be the most important (or urgent would be a better way to put it), anything that you want to be ran through the LLC should be registered in the name of the LLC. With a lot of online accounts, it can be as simple as adding/swapping in your LLC name in the registration settings. No, the LLC doesn’t offer protection for past events. It makes sense if you think about it. If that weren’t the case, everyone in the country could just form an LLC in the event of legal issues. Hope that helps.

  9. Hi Matt,
    We are purchasing a business that is currently a sole prop. We are both new to the world of business and are very confused.
    Could you help me understand the difference between a sole prop and LLC? We aren’t sure if switching to an LLC is the best move, but what I find online is in terms that I don’t quite understand.
    Thank you in advance!!

    • Hey Cora, you can read our LLC vs Sole Proprietorship page to learn more. And one minor clarification… you plan to buy a business. And while that business is currently being run as a Sole Proprietorship, you are not buying the Sole Proprietorship (not possible). You would just be buying the business. You can buy that business “personally” (as a Sole Proprietorship) or you can form an entity, like an LLC, and your LLC would buy the business. Hope that helps.

  10. Hello, would it be good practice for anonymity to form my llc in another state while most of my business would be in Pa? I heard this would be how to remain an “unknown” in case someone was trying to sue an owner of an llc- the person wouldn’t be able to find out who the owner is of a particular house or building if the owner structures the llc a certain way in another state such as Omaha. Could you shed some light on the subject? thanks Jerrell

    • Hi Jerrell, if you hire a Pennsylvania Registered Agent and have someone else (or a company) form the LLC for you (so they sign as the LLC Organizer and not you), then your name will not appear on the Pennsylvania LLC Certificate of Organization. Check out the form on that page (see Form DSCB:15-8821). You’ll see that LLC Members (ownership) is not on the form. Having said that, another setup some real estate investors follow is forming a parent LLC, say in Wyoming, then that LLC owns your LLC(s) located in the property state. While on the surface, there is anonymity in both setups (PA LLC or WY LLC owning PA LLC), if the LLC is sued, something as simple as interrogatories or depositions will likely lead to beneficial ownership being known. However, how you structure your entities (and assets) may lead to stronger asset protection. You also have to look at how much you’re trying to protect. A lot of people read about “popular” setups, go overboard protecting a small amount of assets, and don’t realize the headaches (state filings, Registered Agent renewals, annual reports, bookkeeping, etc.) in running a multi-entity structure. In conclusion, it’s best practice to speak with attorney (or a few) and dive into the details of your situation… what you have going on, what you’re looking to do, what you’re looking to grow into, tax considerations, and more. Hope that helps.

  11. So my filing was returned with the following:

    103 – Your filing lacks the specific brief statement of business. Refer to the proper paragraph on the Docketing Statement.
    161 – Your payment has been received. Please return this notice along with your corrected filing. Failure to do so may result in further rejections and penalties, if applicable.

    How do I resubmit the filing without having to pay again? I know I have to make my business description a bit more specific but where and how do I submit?

    Thanks for the prompt reply!

    • Also it says:

      “Please return this letter or a copy thereof with the attached, date-stamped and corrected document within 30 days of the date of this notice in order to retain the date of delivery to the Department as the file date, if a filing is required. Rejection of a document does not constitute a name reservation.”

      What exactly does this mean?

      • Hey Lucas, it says to refile within 30 days to get your refund/credit. I wouldn’t worry about the name reservation part. Hope that helps.

      • So to refile, would I have to mail in the documentation or submit another filing online?

        Thank you for the feedback :)

        • Hi Lucas, I’m about 90% certain you’d have to mail it in this time. The online filing doesn’t have a credit function. However, I recommend calling the Corporation Bureau tomorrow if you want to double-check.

    • Hey Lucas, when you send your new filing in just include a copy of the rejection letter. I know it’s not clear on their language, but that’s how PA does it :) Hope that helps.

  12. Hi, Matt –

    I formed my LLC in 2013 and only used it through the second half of that year, and 2014. I have some consulting work that has come up and I’d like to use my LLC for it. Do I have to do anything since it’s been a few years?

    Thanks so much for your help! Your site is very informative.


    • Hi Jennifer, you’re very welcome. Thank you. You can use the LLC for any legal business activity, so it should be good to go. Hope that helps.

  13. Hi Matt, Many thanks for such great information. I have a specific question, perhaps needing an attorney, but still thought to have your feedback. I am interested in forming an LLC, for an import-export purposes dealing in agro commodities. Exporting primarily from west coast, imports into PA. and selling the imports online to start with.
    Would forming an LLC in PA be okay? or would I better off forming a LLC in tax free states, or the point of my exporting state. Ex. California. I am based in PA.

    Thanks a lot.

    • Hi Asad, if you reside in PA, run the business form PA, and import into PA, that sounds like doing business in PA. However, there may be more details to dig into with an accountant regarding your situation. Hope that helps.

  14. For the state of Pennsylvania, when completing the Certificate of Organization online, it asks you if you want to upload any additional documents and it references the Application for Registration of Fictitious Name. Is this required to have an “airtight” LLC? Also, should we also attach a copy of the Docketing Statement in this section as well?


    • Hi Aisha, unless you have specific provisions/additional articles you’d like to add to your LLC, it’s not necessary. And no, you don’t need to attach a copy of the Docketing Statement in this section, as the Docketing Statement is already included in the Pennsylvania LLC online filing via PENN File. Hope that helps!

  15. Great website, just got a question. You said to get an ein number after you form a llc, however the docking statement asks for the ein number.

    • Hi Sally, that Docketing Statement is confusing lol. You can just write “applied for”. Hope that helps.

  16. This page has been so helpful. Thank you Matt. My question is if I sell tee shirts on line and at vending events will I have to register the business name? I also want to do a PA trademark for my biz name/logo. Can I use a po box as my address on the form?

    • Hi Reid, you’re very welcome! What do you mean by “register a business name”? That statement is ambiguous and can either mean to form an LLC or register a Fictitious Name (owned by a Sole Proprietorship). If you form an LLC, you don’t also need to register a Pennsylvania trademark (although you certainly could) as the LLC name already has protection in the state. However, if you want federal protection, you’d look into a federal trademark. However, that is usually a bit overkill (and can be expensive) right out of the gate for new businesses. It’s usually best to validate the business model, grow the business, make sure marketing and naming are dialed in, then begin discussing a federal trademark. Regarding the use of a PO Box address, what form and what line are you referring to? Thanks.

  17. Matt, I need to setup an LLC in PA. I’m planning to use a CROP for the Agent. I don’t have a physical address in PA currently, but will be doing business there within 6 months. Can I receive my mail at a PO Box or UPS Store address in another state? Or will the state of PA require I already have a physical address there?

    Thanks in advance.

    • Hey Rod, since the PA Certificate of Organization only has one address on it (the Registered Office), that is where mail will be sent. You can use a Commercial Registered Office Provider (CROP) or you can use a UPS Store address (or similar), however, you can’t list a PO Box address for the Registered Office. Hope that helps.

  18. Hi Matt, I am currently operating as a sole proprietorship in Pa. and my registered business fictitious name has the word “company” at the end, it’s on all paperwork including my accounts (bank, vendors, licenses, taxes). I want to form an LLC and keep the same name. Here’s where it gets interesting, my EIN is under the first business I started, when I started my current business while still operating my first I read on the IRS site that I did not need another EIN for the second because I am a sole proprietor. (No employees for either business btw) So now I have since sold my first business, I want to LLC my current (this is the one with “company” in the name) and partner 50/50 with my wife and will be adding people to payroll. How should I go about this?

    • Hi Brandon, it’ll likely be easier to form a new LLC with your wife and get a new EIN from the IRS. Hope that helps.

  19. If your gonna be an online business do u need a LLC n an EIN ..or most importantly do u need a business license or permit ?

    • Hi Heather, it depends on the type of business you are operating, however, most online businesses don’t need a business license. And you don’t have to form an LLC, however, an LLC protects you in the event of a lawsuit (see LLC asset protection), so you can form one if you’d like, but again, you don’t have to. Same thing with an EIN. You only need an EIN if you are going to form an LLC and open a bank account, however, if you just want to operate as a Sole Proprietorship (see Sole Proprietorship vs LLC) then you can just do business under your own name (or a Fictitious Name) and use your SSN to open a business bank account and pay taxes.

  20. couple questions: What does a dicennial report consist of: I filed all the paperwork for my LLC, and have the LLC started, and I sent in my documents to the IRS to become taxed as an S-Corp. What is my next step here? I filed the PA 100 as well as IRS form 2553, got my EIN and all, is there anything else I need to do with the State of PA or the IRS? Since I elected to be taxed as an S-corp, will there be more reports that I need to file other than the dicennial report? Appreciate any help.

    • Hi Jon, nope, those are all the LLC formation steps with the PA Bureau of Corporations. You can find more info about having an LLC taxed as an S-Corp here: LLC taxed as S-Corp. Regarding your S-Corp taxation, we recommend speaking with an accountant regarding proper filings federally and at the state level. Hope that helps!

      2025 update: Pennsylvania will be replacing the Decennial Report with the Pennsylvania LLC Annual Report.

  21. Hey, Thanks for setting this up.
    Good job and a neat presentation as well.
    A special Blessing on you.
    I have a Q.
    What happens to a dormant LLC and its taxations.
    I don’t have any at the moment.Asking for the sake of information.
    Thanks in Advance

    • Hey Ninan, thanks :) If there is no income or write offs, or credits or deductions to claim, you don’t have to file a return. So you can just leave the LLC “on the shelf” until you’re ready to use it. Hope that helps.

  22. Hi,
    First I want to Thank you for an amazing site. Very clear steps.
    I have 1 question, I filed for my PA llc online last week. How long it takes for the approval?
    If it takes 3-4 weeks can I convert my filing to expedite?


    • Hey Lakshay, thank you! When forming a Pennsylvania LLC online via PENN File, approval is 7-10 business days. However, most of the time, I’ve seen them approved faster. Hope that helps :)

  23. Hi Matt,

    Great site – reading all your responses to the previous questions and I learned a lot!

    I previously had an LLC in NJ (now dissolved) and I remember when wording the business purpose on initial filings, I was told I could have generic wording as the following:

    “The purpose of the Limited Liability Company is to engage in any lawful activity for which a Limited Liability Company may be organized in this state”

    I am now forming another LLC in PA and under which I would like to carry various business endeavors (event planning, food service, and other unrelated ventures).

    Q1: Can I use the same wording in the state of PA? If not, what would be acceptable wording to make the business purpose as general as possible?

    Q2: Based on my understanding on how fictitious names work (DBA), am I correct that the LLC can file a separate fictitious name for each different type of business venture?

    Thanks in advance!

    • Hey Alan, thanks! Glad to hear the comment section has been helpful :)

      1.) Sort of. PA allows for you to use a general purpose statement in addition to something specific. They don’t allow you to only state a general purpose. For example, within your Docketing Statement, you could state: “Management consulting and any and all lawful purposes for which an LLC may be organized under the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania”. You cannot only have “Any and all lawful purposes for which an LLC may be organized under the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.”

      2.) Yes, you are correct. A PA LLC can register/own as many Pennsylvania Fictitious Names (aka DBAs) as you’d like. Hope that helps.

      • I just had my LLC filing returned (9/22/18) because my “filing lacks the specific brief statement of business. Refer to the proper paragraph on the docketing statement.” and I said exactly that, “Any and all lawful purposes for which an LLC may be organized under the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania”

        • Hi Brandon, apologies for the confusion. My initial reply to Alan was incorrect and has since been edited. On the Pennsylvania LLC Docketing Statement, you can have a general purpose statement, but only in addition to something specific. For example, you can use: “Management consulting and any and all lawful purposes for which an LLC may be organized under the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania”. Hope that helps.

  24. I am operating now as Sole Proprietor and have my business name registered as DBA. I want to “move” to LLC. I am not sure yet if I will have employees yet, but is better to file for a new EIN if I may hire someone one day? Do I have to cancel the DBA in order to receive the same name for LLC? I hope my questions make sense.
    Thank you for all your information.

    • Hi Alina, it’s better to file for a new EIN (after the LLC is approved) to keep your records cleaner (regardless if you hire or not). No, you don’t have to cancel the DBA in order to form an LLC under the identical name (only difference will be “LLC” at the end). Here is the order you’ll want to go about it. Pretty much ignore the existing DBA (for now). Form a new LLC using the identical name, but adding “LLC” at the end. After LLC is approved, get a new EIN for the LLC. Then just start running and operating your PA LLC. When you file your 2018 taxes (in April 2019) for your Sole Proprietorship/DBA, on the schedule that lists your Sole Proprietorship/DBA, tell your accountant to mark the return as final. Then later in 2019, cancel the EIN for the DBA. And then cancel the DBA itself with the state by filing a Cancellation of Fictitious Name. But there is no rush on the DBA Cancellation form. You can just do it next year after you file your final return. If helpful, we have additional information on moving from a DBA to an LLC here: convert Sole Proprietorship to LLC. Hope that helps.

  25. Thanks for your advice, Matt! Sounds reasonable.

    However, the 2nd new LLC cannot have the same name as the first LLC, is that correct?

    Regardless, thanks so much for your response.

    PS: Matt, I thought your name was familiar. We formed our LLC using LLC UNIVERSITY in March, 2016! I took your online course materials, and was very happy with your service.

    • Hi David, that’s awesome to hear! In your case, the 2nd new LLC can have the same identical name of the 1st LLC, as long as that 1st LLC plans on dissolving (being shut down) or plans on changing it’s name (via filing an amended Certificate of Organization). Also, the 1st LLC needs to sign a Consent to Appropriation of Name Form (DSCB:19-17.2). In you situation, if you’re going to shut down the 1st LLC, you’d check off “About to cease to do business” in #5. Hope that helps!

  26. Matt, me and my partner have an LLC in PA. We are the only 2 members. Our LLC has no expenses or profits since beginning in 2014. My partner and I no longer work together, and I would like to amend the LLC so that I am the sole remaining member. Is this possible, and how would I do this?

    • Hi David, you can certainly do so, but you should have a contract drawn up showing your partner stepping down and selling their interest to you. We don’t have something like this available yet. You’ll also need to have him go to the bank and remove himself as a signer (if applicable). You’ll also need to send a letter to the IRS requesting your LLC no longer be taxed as a Partnership and be taxed as a Sole Proprietorship. You may also need to contact the PA Department of Revenue regarding the change. Let me suggest an easier route. Form a new LLC for yourself and then dissolve the old LLC. Things will be “cleaner” this way.

  27. Hi, My son and daughter are preparing to start an LLC, however my daughter is apprehensive about putting her name on documents because her 6yr old son receives disability SSI, and she also works a job. She’s afraid they will remove him because she will be making too much extra money.

    What can I tell her?

    They you for your excellent information, I have told many about your University.

    • Hi Jack, quite easy in PA actually, since LLC Members are not listed on the Certificate of Organization. Have your son be the LLC Organizer, so just his name will be on the Certificate of Organization. Then have him sign a Statement of LLC Organizer appointing himself and your daughter as the LLC Members. Also have both of them sign an LLC Operating Agreement. Both the Statement of LLC Organizer and the Operating Agreement are “internal documents”, meaning, they are not sent to the state. Hope that helps. And thanks for spreading the good news!

    • Ron, you’re welcome!! Thank you so much. That’s very kind of you. Best form of repayment is word of mouth. The next time you hear of someone forming an LLC, just tell them about LLC University :) Thank you again!

  28. Hey after hours of searching on the web, your website was the best. I found the information I needed quick and easy to understand thank you!!

    • Thank you so much for the awesome comment Alex!! It means a lot. Happy to hear we were able to help :)

  29. Hi Matt!
    I have filed and received my LLC, but I don’t yet have a bank account for the business. Is the fictitious name paperwork necessary to open a business bank account? Is that different from a DBA? Being a small business is associated with so many costs and I don’t want to put out money I don’t have to because I’m not clear on things. My business name is Wilkins Realty LLC. I filed through legal zoom but didn’t check the fictitious name box. Will I have to do the additional $70 paperwork or can I just open the bank account in the business name?

    • Hi Tezarah, apologies for the slow reply. Yes, a DBA is called a Fictitious Name in Pennsylvania. But no, it’s not required to open a bank account, unless you wanted to do business under a different name besides Wilkins Realty LLC. Since you will just operate under the name Wilkins Realty LLC and open your bank account in that same name, the DBA is unnecessary. Hope that helps!

  30. Matt, just wanted to thank you for this wonderful website. You helped me make my decision to not choose DE/NV/WY as states to incorporate since I will be operating in a different state and paying extra fees and keeping track of other state requirements are totally not worth the basic income my LLC will potentially make. The other popular websites had totally confused me. Regards!

    • Hey GB! Apologies for my slow reply. That is great to hear. So happy we were able to help :)

  31. Hi Matt, just found your website today while researching to set up an LLC in PA. What a great resource! I already have a federal EIN/Tax ID that I’ve used as a freelancer/on my personal taxes for several years, and my accountant said if I create a new LLC (for a film production), I would not need a new EIN, and would just use my existing one. But reading through the comments here, I noticed new EIN’s are sometimes required. I don’t want to have a misstep while creating the LLC, is it possible you could verify if my current EIN would work for the new LLC (operating as a passthrough)? Also, would I then be able to create a separate bank account for the business with this existing EIN? Thanks for your time! Jason

    • Hi Jason, apologies for the slow reply. Yes, your accountant is correct. You can use the existing EIN (which you obtained as a Sole Proprietorship) if you will be operating as a single-member LLC, which that seems to be the case. Also, you can only use this EIN if you do not have employees. You will need to mail a letter to the IRS though letting them know about the reassignment. Some people find it easier to cancel your EIN then get a new one for the LLC. Either way works though. Hope that helps!

  32. I applied for an EIN October, 2017, with a name I want to use for an LLC.
    I am looking to do an online clothing with 4 brand names; when I did the EIN, one of the brand name I will be using as the trade name. Will this confuse things when I a) file for the LLC, and then I am assuming the name
    that I put on the EIN as the trading name, I will need to do a ficitious name for that is the other three once the LLC is approved?

    • Hey Aaron, you’re supposed to form the LLC first, then obtain an EIN. I’ll help you straighten things out, but have some questions. Do you want to do business under one, or all of your brand names, or will you simply just have 4 brands/clothing lines owned by your LLC? You only need to file a Fictitious Name registration if you’ll be doing business under a name different than your LLC name.

  33. Hi Matt,
    I filed for a LLC. I have not received conformation yet. But today, I received a paper from labor poster services telling me I need to purchase a poster for compliance. This is a dog training, and I will not be hiring employees. It will just be me. Do I need to purchase this?
    Thank you in advance.

    • Hi Susan, the short answer is that it’s a bogus letter and you can throw it away. If you flip over the letter and look at the fine print, it’ll say somewhere that the letter is a solicitation and that the company is not affiliated with the actual state government. These letters are borderline scams as they trick people into purchasing something that they don’t need, and that they can actually get for free in most instances.

  34. Hi Matt,

    I filed both the “Application for Registration of Fictitious Name” and the “Certificate of Organization-Domestic Limited Liability Company” (in that order) for my new LLC. I fear filing both of these forms has created a conflict for naming the LLC. Can you tell me if these forms are at odds with each other? Do you know if there is a way to fix it if so?

    • Hey Tom, yes, this will cause an issue. I’d call the state (717-787-1057) and see if they can cancel the Fictitious Name registration. You want your Fictitious Name owned by your LLC, correct? What is the reason you are filing a Fictitious Name? Would you be able to provide the name of both your LLC and Fictitious Name? Feel free to send an email if that’s better for you.

      • I thought that I had to request the name as a separate step prior to getting the LLC certification…but, realized too late that was incorrect. I called and they said I should wait for the requests to be processed and hopefully we could sort it out afterwards. I sent email to potentially help too. Thanks for your assistance. Your website is a great resource.

        • Hey Tom, I understand. A lot of people think they need to do that (reserve a name ahead of time). That’s not the case and it’s unfortunate that there are a lot of websites that mislead people on that step (it mostly has to do with them trying to charge for unnecessary services). Keep me posted once you hear back. They’ll likely reject one of the filings and give you your money back. But do just reach back out once you hear from them. I’ll help you straighten it out.

          • Hi Matt,

            Not sure it was through correspondence or luck but, the Fictitious Name request was rejected while the LLC request was accepted. Looks like I’m down the $70 fee but, the end result was good. Thanks for your help.

            • Hey Tom, that’s great news! Try calling the state after the Thanksgiving holiday and ask for a refund for the $70 filing fee.

  35. What if you have an LLC established in one state, but you are moving and need to establish the LLC in a new state? Is there specific paperwork that I need to file or a particular office I need to contact?

    • Hey Ashley, there are usually 3 ways to “move” an LLC. 1) Dissolve existing LLC and form a new LLC in the new state. This means new EIN, new bank account, etc. 2) File a Foreign LLC registration in the new state. This keeps the existing LLC in place (same EIN, same bank account, etc.), but gives it authority to do business in the new state. 3) If the incoming state allows, you can convert/re-domesticate/move your LLC to the new state. This “converts” the LLC to the new state and then you can dissolve the hold one. This allows you to keep the same EIN and bank account. You can call the Secretary of State of the incoming state and see if they have this option. Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any followup questions.

  36. Bumped into your video on YouTube about why NOT to open a business in Delaware and made my way to your site. Great information, well presented. Thank you very much for saving us a bunch of trouble, Matt.

    • Hi Ross, thank you for the kind words! I’m very happy to hear we were able to save you the time and hassle :)

  37. I already applied for EIN and business name, we aslo drafted papers to do business as a general partnership. I want to change to an LLC. Do i need to withdraw or cancel the business name I already have? Can I use the EIN I already have?

    • I recommend cancelling the name registration since it won’t be needed. And you’ll need a new EIN after the new LLC is formed.

  38. I can’t thank you enough for this site. I went from paying $250+ to form my llc to paying $0 ( I’m a veteran). This site could not have made it easier and I will promote it any chance I get. Thank you so much Matt. You are the man!!!!

    • Hi Brett, thanks so much man!! Really appreciate the kind words :) Happy to hear that we could really help and serve you. Best wishes with the business my friend!!

        • Hi Crystal, are you referring to a Philadelphia commercial activity license? If so, we don’t cover that. Thanks for your understanding.

      • Hello, Matt,
        We have Education Exchange, LLC in 3 years in PA. Could we also run a travel business? Just like Liberty Travel Inc. Is there special travel agency certification in PA ?

        • Hi Chelsea, yes, you can also run travel business activities through your LLC. There are a few states where a license is required, but Pennsylvania isn’t one of them. Hope that helps.

    • Is there a question that asks if you are a veteran when applying for LLC that changes the fee to $0? Just trying to figure this out!


Leave a comment or question

 Email me when I get a reply.