How to Get a Wyoming EIN Number (for Free) for an LLC - 2024 Guide

Home » Wyoming LLC » How to Get a Wyoming EIN Number (for Free) for an LLC - 2024 Guide

Need to save time?

Hire a company to form your LLC:
Northwest ($39 + state fee)
LegalZoom ($149 + state fee)

Deal alert! Northwest will form your LLC for $39 (60% discount). See details.

We know dealing with the IRS can be intimidating, but getting an EIN for your LLC doesn’t have to be scary.

This page explains what an EIN is and we provide step-by-step instructions on getting an EIN for free for a Wyoming LLC.

What is an EIN Number?

EIN Number for an LLC

EIN stands for Employer Identification Number and is assigned to your LLC by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), a division within the federal government.

The EIN identifies your business to the IRS, the same way a Social Security Number identifies a person. You could also think of the EIN as your “account number” with the IRS.

Note: An EIN is not issued by the Wyoming Secretary of State. It is only issued by the IRS.

Don't have an LLC yet? Hire Northwest to form your LLC for $39 + state fee (then add EIN to your order).

Have an LLC, but no EIN? Hire Northwest to get your EIN:
I have an SSN | I don't have an SSN

EIN Synonyms

You might see your EIN Number referred to in many different ways. They all mean the same thing, though.

Other terms for an EIN include:

  • EIN Number
  • Employer Identification Number
  • Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)
  • Federal Tax ID Numbers
  • Wyoming Federal Tax ID Number
  • Federal Tax Identification Number

Note: An EIN Number is not the same thing as a Wyoming Tax ID Number. An EIN is issued by the IRS. And a Wyoming Tax ID Number is issued by the Wyoming Department of Revenue.

What’s an EIN used for?

An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is used by several different government agencies to identify your LLC.

Having an EIN for your Wyoming Limited Liability Company lets you:

  • Open an LLC business bank account
  • File federal, state, and local tax returns
  • File Wyoming income tax
  • Obtain business lines of credit or business loans
  • Get a business credit card for your LLC
  • Apply for business licenses or permits
  • Handle employee payroll (if applicable)

How much does it cost to get an EIN?

Applying for an EIN for your Wyoming LLC is completely free. The IRS doesn’t charge any service fees for the EIN online application.

When should you get an EIN?

Don’t apply for an EIN until your Wyoming LLC is approved.

Tip: If you applied for an EIN before your LLC is approved, or made another mistake, please see our FAQs below. We explain how to fix the most common EIN mistakes.

How do I file an EIN Application for my Wyoming LLC?

Important: Make sure you finalize how many LLC Members you have before you apply for an EIN. Changing from a Single-Member LLC to a Multi-Member LLC (or vice versa) requires filing paperwork with the IRS and the state. Additionally, you’ll need to transfer LLC ownership, amend your Operating Agreement, and update your accountant (since your tax filing will change).

Note: An LLC doesn’t stand for Limited Liability Corporation. It stands for Limited Liability Company.

Apply for an EIN (US Citizens and US Residents)

We recommend applying for an EIN online if you have a SSN (Social Security Number) or ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number).

This is the easiest filing method and it has the fastest approval time. Your EIN Number will be issued at the end of the online application, which takes about 15 minutes to complete.

We have step-by-step instructions on this page:

How to apply for an EIN online

Note: You can also apply for an EIN by mail or fax, but this is really slow compared to the online filing. We only recommend this if you get an error message (called an EIN reference number) and the IRS says that you have to.

Apply for an EIN (Non-US residents)

If you’re a non-US resident (and don’t have an SSN or ITIN), you can still get an EIN for your Wyoming LLC. You just can’t apply for a Federal tax EIN online.

Instead, you need to mail or fax Form SS-4 to the IRS. The SS-4 is the application form. We have step-by-step instructions on this page:

How to get an EIN without an SSN or ITIN

Note: If you’ve read somewhere that you have to hire a third party designee, this is not true. You can obtain your EIN yourself without using a third party designee.

EIN Approval (EIN Confirmation Letter)

Once the IRS issues an EIN for your Wyoming LLC, you will receive your official approval, known as an EIN Confirmation Letter (CP 575).

The method you use to apply for an EIN will determine how you receive your EIN Confirmation Letter. If you apply online, you can download the EIN Confirmation Letter at the end. If you mail or fax SS-4, the IRS mails your EIN Confirmation Letter.

Here is what the EIN Confirmation Letter looks like:

EIN Confirmation Letter (CP 575) for LLC

LLC Business Bank Account

After getting an EIN, you can open a business bank account for your Wyoming LLC. The bank will need your EIN Confirmation Letter (or EIN Verification Letter) to open the account.

Please see business bank account for LLC for a list of recommended banks (and the documents you should bring).

If you’re a non-US resident, you can still open a US bank account for your LLC. Please see this page: Non-US resident opening US bank account for an LLC

Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Contact Information

If you have any questions, you can call the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) at 1-800-829-4933. Their office hours are 7am – 7pm, Monday through Friday.

Use these options to speak to a live person:

  • Press option 1 for English.
  • Then press option 1 for Employer Identification Numbers.
  • Then press option 3 for “If you already have an EIN, but you can’t remember it, etc.”

Note: Pressing option 3 is the only way to get a live person.

We recommend calling the IRS right after they open to avoid long hold times.

The IRS won’t give you legal assistance and guidance, or legal or tax advice, but they will answer questions about the EIN application process.

EIN Frequently Asked Questions

Does a Single-Member LLC need an EIN?

You may have seen other articles online say that Single-Member LLCs don’t need an EIN. While this is technically true, it’s bad advice.

Having an EIN can protect you from identity theft, and you’ll need an EIN for other purposes – not just filing taxes. Your Wyoming LLC needs an EIN to:

  • Open an LLC business bank account
  • Obtain business lines of credit or business loans
  • Get a business credit card
  • Apply for business licenses or permits
  • Handle employee payroll (if applicable)

Plus, getting an EIN is free and takes just 10 minutes online. Said another way, we strongly recommend getting an EIN for your Single-Member LLC.

Does a Multi-Member LLC need an EIN?

Yes, all Multi-Member LLCs are required to get an EIN from the IRS. This is because it’s required by the Internal Revenue Code. Said another way, all business entities with more than 1 owner must have a valid taxpayer identification number (an EIN).

Do I need an EIN for my DBA?

No. A DBA can’t have an EIN. Remember, a DBA is just a nickname for a business or a person(s).

However, the business or person(s) that owns the DBA may need an EIN.

DBA owned by an LLC

If you have an LLC, your LLC needs its own EIN.

If your LLC has a DBA, don’t get an EIN for the DBA. The DBA is just a nickname for your LLC, and the IRS doesn’t recognize DBAs.

DBA owned by individual(s)

If you registered a DBA, but didn’t form a legal entity (like an LLC), then you’re operating a Sole Proprietorship (1 owner) or a General Partnership (2 or more owners).

Sole Proprietorship: Your Wyoming Sole Proprietorship (with or without a DBA) isn’t required to have an EIN, but it’s optional.

General Partnership: Your Wyoming General Partnership (with or without a DBA) must get an EIN. It’s required by the IRS.

Again, in both cases, the DBA itself doesn’t get the EIN. It’s the underlying business entity that gets the EIN.

Do I need an EIN for an LLC with no employees?

Yes, you should still get an EIN for your Wyoming business even if you don’t hire employees.

Even though it’s called an Employer Identification Number, it doesn’t mean you have to have employees. Again, the EIN Number is just a way for the IRS to identify your business.

(Note: If you are the only owner in your business, you are not considered an employee. You are simply the owner.)

How should a husband and wife LLC get an EIN?

In most states, husband and wife LLCs can only be treated as a Multi-Member LLC taxed as a Partnership.

However, in community property states, married couples can choose between:

  • Husband and wife LLC taxed as a Partnership
  • Husband and wife LLC taxed as a Single-Member LLC (aka Qualified Joint Venture)

Wyoming is not a community property state. So Wyoming husband and wife LLCs can’t choose to be taxed as a Qualified Joint Venture (Single-Member LLC).

How you complete your EIN application determines the LLC’s tax status. For more information, please see Husband and Wife LLC (Qualified Joint Venture).

Common EIN mistakes and how to fix them

How do I find my EIN number online?

If you lose your EIN Confirmation Letter (CP 575), or forget to download it online, you can’t get another one.

However, you can request an EIN Verification Letter (147C), and you can use that instead.

Both forms are accepted by everyone (including banks and the state government).

I thought applying for my EIN is what forms my LLC, right?

No, just getting an EIN from the IRS doesn’t form an LLC. LLCs aren’t formed with the IRS. They are formed with your state.

You are supposed to form an LLC in your state, and then apply for an EIN (aka Federal Tax ID Number).

If you’ve been operating your business by having an EIN and have not formed an LLC, you have unknowingly been operating as a Sole Proprietorship and the EIN is “attached” to you, personally.

Said another way, the EIN is not connected to your company – because the company (the LLC) hasn’t been formed.

If you want to have your company be an LLC: First, form an LLC, wait for it to be approved, and then apply for a new EIN. Later you can cancel your first EIN.

What if I applied for an EIN before my LLC was approved?

If your LLC gets approved (using the name you listed on your EIN application), there is nothing to worry about. As long as the name on your EIN Confirmation Letter matches your LLC name, then you can use that EIN for your LLC.

If your LLC is rejected, then you need to refile with the state and wait for your new LLC name to be approved. Then get a new EIN from the IRS. And cancel the old EIN.

How do I cancel an EIN?

If you need to cancel your EIN Number, you need to mail a cancellation letter to the IRS.

We have instructions and the cancellation letter here: How to cancel an EIN.

Matt Horwitz
Matt Horwitz
Matt Horwitz has been the leading expert on LLC education for the past decade. He founded LLC University in 2010 after realizing people needed simple and actionable instructions to start an LLC that other companies weren't offering. He's cited by Entrepreneur Magazine, Yahoo Finance, and the US Chamber of Commerce, and was featured by CNBC and InventRight.
Matt holds a Bachelor's Degree in business from Drexel University with a concentration in business law. He performs extensive research and analysis to convert state laws into simple instructions anyone can follow to form their LLC - all for free! Read more about Matt Horwitz and LLC University.

Want our free email course?

Get simple LLC lessons sent right to your inbox.

Thanks! You're subscribed √
Your email address is already subscribed.

37 comments on “Wyoming LLC Federal Tax ID Number (EIN)”

Disclaimer: Nothing on this page shall be interpreted as legal or tax advice. Rules and regulations vary by location. They also change over time and are specific to your situation. Furthermore, this comment section is provided so people can share their thoughts and experience. Please consult a licensed professional if you have legal or tax questions.

  1. Hey Matt,
    Fifst of all, I want to say you’re the best!
    I have one question, I aplied for my EIN on 10.26.22, and I still didn’t received any response. I also re-applied one again 11.22.22 and once again didn’t receive a response. Is there a possibilty they can refuse my EIN request? I’m kinda panicking right now lol.
    Thanks in advance!!

    • Thanks Mike! No, they don’t refuse requests. And it’s generally not a good idea to apply twice, as that can cause issues. If you happened to be issued a 2nd EIN, you can cancel it: cancel EIN number with IRS.

  2. Hi there,
    I faxed a complete SS-4 in 13th of october this year , and I still didn’t get the EIN to my fax number or the mailing address …
    is there any problem or it’s just there is a delay in the processing ?
    Thank you

    • Hi Idir, the IRS is short-staffed and backed up right now. EIN Applications (Form SS-4) can take 45-60 business days for approval. After the 45 business day date has passed, you can call the IRS and request an EIN Verification Letter for LLC. Hope that helps.

  3. Hi. im interested in setting up a LLC in Wyoming. im buying Products from wholesale. alot of them ask for my EIN number. I read you wrote that its possible to open a bank account With ein number. I read online that if ” bad people” have my ein they can

    establish corporate credit card accounts, business banking accounts and even establish personal credit without your knowing it. The theft of your EIN can be combined with thieves accessing your mail. They grab customer checks made out to your company, deposit them into the accounts they set up under your name and withdraw the money.

    Is this true? can they really just do all of that with only with my ein number and other information i provide to my wholesalers such as name, address, phone number, EIN?

    Thanks for llcuniversity its really helping me alot

    Kind regards, Nils

    • Hi Nils, the website you had linked isn’t always of high quality. While corporate identity theft is a thing, it’s not somethings that stops people from getting an EIN for their LLC.

      • Hi Matt. thanks for answering. So i should not worry about this alot?

    • Hi Amine, I recommend calling the IRS to check on the status. #4a is missing the suite number. #4b has an extra letter (“R”). #6 should be the county (not country) and state (“Sheridan County, Wyoming”). You’re missing “Foreign” in #7b. You’re missing “Wyoming” in #9b. You’re missing “December” in #12. You’re missing “0”, “0”, and “0” in #13 (assuming you won’t have employees). You can put “N/A” in #15. You put your information in the Third Party Designee section… that should instead be left blank. You need the phone and fax in the Applicant section. Best bet is to call the IRS and see what to do. You likely need to resubmit the application along with a written explanation to ignore the first one. Hope that helps.

      • thanks, already called the irs and everything is good for the EIN, thank you again, about banking, it seems like you explained before it’s impossible to create one if you are not present physically, so i’m exploring other things such as virtual banks, and i don’t know yet if it’ll be possible to use for an llc.

        • Glad to hear. I recommend just doing it the right way and avoid all the “virtual bank” stuff… they’re not real banks. Just fly to the US and open the bank account. Then it’s done and you can focus on running the business and making money. You’re probably spending more energy researching all the virtual bank stuff ;) Hope that helps.

  4. Hi Matt,
    Do you think personal EIN is as good as ITIN to apply EIN for my LCC online?
    i have an EIN as a foreigner as a sole proprietor, and i just formed my LLC , i want to get its EIN online, my question is it good to put my personal EIN in the place of SSN/ITIN section?
    Thank you!

    • Hi Amine, no, it won’t work. You can’t enter an EIN there during the online application. You’ll get an error at the end. Being a foreigner, you won’t be able to get the EIN online. You’ll need to mail or fax Form SS-4 to the IRS and write “Foreign” on line 7b. Hope that helps :)

  5. Hey Matt, this is Santiago again:

    For non-residents/non-citizens: If I’m not expecting to have any employees, should I leave 14 blank?

    It is a little bit confusing because it says: “If you do not check this box, you must file Form 941 for every quarter”.

    It is mandatory to file 945 or 941 even if I’m not expecting to hire employees?

    Thank you

    • Hi Santiago, yes, if you don’t expect to have employees, then you will leave line 14 blank. I see what you mean in that the instructions are a bit unclear. What is should really say is “If you do not check this box, and you will have employees, you must file Form 941 for every quarter”. In your case, since you don’t plan to have employees, you won’t need to worry about Form 941 or Form 944. Hope that helps clarify things a bit more ;)

  6. Hello Matt:
    I’m trying to complete form SS4 and as I understand right now all foreign owned LLC has to file Form 5472.

    ¿That means that we should select Other and type “Foreign-owned U.S. disregarded entity filing Form 5472” on 9a and 10???

    Thank you very much for your help

    • Hi Santiago, you are correct. Foreign-owned LLCs need to file Form 5472 annually with their US taxes and IRS filings. And yes, entering “Foreign-owned U.S. disregarded entity filing Form 5472” in 9a and 10 is correct. Excellent research/instruction reading on your part. Apologies this lesson is not very “foreigner-friendly”. We will be making new EIN lessons for non-US citizens and non-US residents soon. Thank you.

  7. Hi Matt,
    Happy New Year!
    Thank you for the useful informations about forming LLC, this site is very useful for me. I am about to form my single member LLC, but I am a little bit confused. I am non US citizen (EU) and don’t have SSN. But I heard somewhere that if I call IRS I can apply for my personal EIN and later I can use it for my tax returns.
    I found this on IRS website under applying for EIN online:
    “The person applying online must have a valid Taxpayer Identification Number (SSN, ITIN, EIN).”
    Do you think personal EIN is as good as ITIN to apply EIN for my bussiness online?
    Thank you!

    • Hi Szabina, Happy New Year! You’re very welcome. Glad to hear we’ve been able to help :) The EIN will be used for your LLC and your ITIN will be used personally when you file a US tax return. If you’re forming your LLC in 2018, you won’t be filing taxes until 2019, so the order would be to get the EIN for your LLC first, then later apply for the ITIN. In order to get the EIN for your LLC, complete the SS4 form (IRS Form SS-4) and fax it to the IRS (855-641-6935). On line 7b where it asks for “SSN, ITIN, or EIN”, just write “Foreign”. That’s how you’ll get the EIN without having an SSN (since you don’t need an SSN in order to get an EIN; a common misconception). We’ll soon have a guide on how to complete Form SS-4 for foreigners, but it’s not live yet. So just let me know if you have any questions about how to complete the SS-4 Form. Hope that helps! Oh, if you need a digital fax to use, we recommend The account is $10 per month, and you can cancel the account after you get the fax back from the IRS with your approved EIN (which can take up to 4-6 weeks).

      • Thanks Matt, it’s a huge help. I am also waiting to see your new video guide.

      • Hi Matt. Thanks for your awsome course and help. I’m really grateful.

        In the iss4 instructions says: “… you must enter an SSN or ITIN on line 7b. But leave line 7b blank if the responsible party does not have and is ineligible to obtain an SSN or ITIN.”

        Do you think it is correct to write “foreign” or leave it blank? or maybe it is not important?

        • Hey Santiago, you’re very welcome! If you don’t have an SSN or ITIN you should write “Foreign”. This is the way for non-US citizens and non-US residents to get an EIN for their LLC. Don’t leave it blank. Hope that helps.

Leave a comment or question

Comments are temporarily disabled.