Pennsylvania LLC Name Change
(Certificate of Amendment)

Home » Pennsylvania LLC » Pennsylvania LLC Name Change (Certificate of Amendment)

Instructions on How to Change an LLC Name in PA

In order to change your Pennsylvania LLC name, you need to file a Certificate of Amendment with the Pennsylvania Bureau of Corporations and Charitable Organizations.

Need to save time? Hire a company to change your LLC name:
MyCompanyWorks ($99 + state fee)

Approval time

The PA Bureau of Corporations will process both mail and online filings within approximately 7-10 business days of receiving them. The mail filing will take a few days longer just because of the document’s travel time. For that reason, we recommend the online filing option.

PA LLC Name change filing fee

The filing fee is $70 (for both mail and online filing).

Method of filing

You can submit your PA Certificate of Amendment filing by mail or online. Either way, you’ll complete the form online and at the end of the process, you can choose to download, print and mail, or to submit online.

Important: Once the PA Bureau of Corporations approves your LLC name change, you’ll also need to change your LLC name with the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue and the IRS. More on this is below.

How to File a PA LLC Name Change (Certificate of Amendment)

In order to file a Certificate of Amendment online, you must have a Keystone Login.

Prior to Keystone Login, the old method of online filing was to just have a PENN File account. Since May 2020, Pennsylvania now requires everyone to create a Keystone Login. And PENN File has been replaced by the new Business Filing Services system.

Step 1 – Create a Login and Request Access

1. Create a Keystone Login

If you don’t have a Keystone Login, visit PA Business One-Stop Hub and click “Register”.

(If you already have a Keystone Login, simply login and skip to #3 Request Access below.)

After registering, you’ll see a success message at the top (in a small green bar).

Next, you’ll need to go to your email and click the verification link.

After doing that, you should see this success message:

Click the “here to Login” link and then login.

2. Choose the purpose of your visit

You’ll see a pop-up with several buttons to choose what type of filer you are. Select ​​Business Owner.

Scroll down and click Department of State’s Business Filing Services (aka PA DOS BFS):

You will now be on the main dashboard for your Business Filings Services account. From here, you can manage your business filings.

3. Request Access to your LLC

Before getting started, you’ll need to request access to your LLC. Luckily, it’s a simple system that sends a PIN to your email address.

First, search for your LLC in the Business Search. Click on your LLC Name in the list.

Then click the “Request Access” button.

Next, click the buttons to agree to the statements in the pop-up window confirming you’re an authorized person. Click “Request PIN“.

Leave the Business Filing Services tab open in your browser, and check your email in another tab.

Sometimes the PIN arrives in a few minutes, sometimes it takes up to 4 hours. It’s easiest to copy and paste the PIN from your email, since it can be a combination of letters and numbers and is case-sensitive.

Go back to the Business Filing Services tab.

Matt Horwitz, founder of LLC University®Pro Tip: Don’t worry if you closed the Business Filing Services window by mistake. Just repeat the process: login to Business Filing Services, search for your LLC, and click “Request Access” again. That will bring you back to this screen and you can continue where you left off.

Click the buttons to accept the terms and confirm you’re an authorized user. Then enter the PIN from your email. Click “Get Access” to continue.

The popup window will change to show you a list of the authorized users for the company. You don’t need to do anything on this screen.

Click the ‘x’ in the top right corner to close this window. Make sure you don’t click “Revoke”, because that will undo the authorization process you just finished.

Step 2 – File the Certificate of Amendment

If your LLC’s company record isn’t already pulled up, search for your LLC name and click it in the results list.

Click the “File Amendment” button.

Next, select “Certificate of Amendment – Domestic Limited Partnership / Limited Liability Company” from the list of available forms.

The instructions below will walk you through filing the Certificate of Amendment step-by-step.

Business Details

Record Information

This is pre-filled with your LLC’s File Number, current name, and company type.

Change Business Subtype

Check the box for “I do not want to change the subtype of the association.”

This would let you change your LLC to a Professional LLC or other type of LLC. This is not common, and is not how you change the name of your LLC.

Limited Liability Company Name

Check the box for “I want to change the name.

A previously filed reserved name will be used for this filing.

Next, the system will ask you whether you have already reserved a name.

Note: You don’t have to reserve a name in order to change your LLC Name in Pennsylvania. It’s usually a waste of money.

If you don’t have a name reservation:

If you don’t have a name reservation, don’t worry. Just click “No” and enter your new LLC name twice. Then click the box for “Consent to use the name is not required because the name is available for use in Pennsylvania.

Make sure to include the designator in your new LLC name. You don’t have to use the same designator as the one in your current LLC name.

As per Section 15-204, Pennsylvania law allows the following designators:

  • LLC (or L.L.C.)
  • Ltd (or Ltd.)
  • LTD (or LTD.)
  • Limited Liability Co.
  • Limited Liability Company
  • Ltd. Liability Co.
  • Ltd. Liability Company

Tip: Most people choose “LLC”.

If you have a name reservation:

If you filed a Name Reservation, click “Yes” and then select your reserved name from the dropdown menu.

Effective Date

If you’d like your LLC name change to go into effect on the date it is approved by the state, check the box for “when filed with the Department of State“.

If you’d like your LLC name change to go into effect on a future date, select “​​on a future specific date“. Then choose the date using the calendar button to the right. Don’t worry about what time you choose; it’s not important.

Email Address for Notifications

You can choose whether to get notifications from the state by mail or by email.

If you prefer to get notices by mail, don’t enable email notifications.

If you prefer to get notices by email, choose the option that starts with “I would like to receive email notifications…“. Then click “Add” and enter your email address.

Click Next Step to proceed.

Current Registered Office or Commercial Registered Office Provider

This displays your LLC’s current registered office.

Remember, the “Registered Office” in Pennsylvania is the same thing as a “Registered Agent“.

New Registered Office

Note: There’s no extra fee to make multiple changes during this filing. You can change both your LLC name and your LLC registered office on the same Certificate of Amendment.

This is where you would make a change if the Registered Office address has changed because you moved, or because you hired a Registered Agent Service.

Change Registered Office?

If you don’t want to change your LLC’s Registered Office, select “I do not want to change the registered office.” You can click Next Step and continue with the Additional Details screen.

If you want to change your LLC Registered Office, select “I want to change the registered office.

Then, follow these steps:

You or someone you know will be the Registered Agent:

If you will be your own Registered Agent, or someone you know will be the Registered Agent for your LLC, and you need to change the address of the Registered Office on file, select the 1st option (“The address of this association’s proposed registered office in this Commonwealth is“).

Then enter the updated address and county information.

Note: If you are changing from using a Registered Agent Service to being your own Registered Agent (or using a friend/family member), wait for your Certificate of Amendment to be approved. Then you can cancel the Registered Agent Service.

You hired a Registered Agent Service:

If you hired a Registered Agent Service (aka Commercial Registered Office Provider or CROP), select the 2nd option (“The name of the commercial registered office provider and the county of venue is”).

Search for Commercial Registered Office Provider (CROP):

Search for the Registered Agent company you hired and select them from the list.

Venue and Publication County:

If you hired Northwest Registered Agent, select Erie from the county list.

You’ll need to contact the Registered Agent company (or check inside your account) and ask what county their address is located in. Then select it from the dropdown menu.

Note: Don’t worry about the word “publication”. LLCs in Pennsylvania don’t have to publish anything in the newspapers. Only 3 states have LLC publication requirements and Pennsylvania isn’t one of them.

Click Next Step to proceed.

Additional Details

New Dependent Ratio

Select “There are no additional changes.

Most people don’t upload anything unless they’ve been instructed to do so by their attorney.

Restated Certificate of Organization

Check this box. This tells the state that the new name will replace the old LLC name on your Certificate of Organization.

Processing Fee Information

This page is letting you know that the fee to amend your LLC Certificate of Organization in Pennsylvania is $70.


Review your information for accuracy and check for typos.

If you need to make any changes, click the appropriate step in the list on the left where you need to make changes.

If everything looks good, click Next Step to proceed.

Electronic Signature

Check the boxes to accept the terms and agreements at the top.

Click “Add” and enter your first and last name and click “Today” to enter the date.

  • If you’re an LLC Member, enter the title “Member
  • If you’re an LLC Manager, enter the title “Manager
  • If you’re completing the Certificate of Amendment for an LLC you don’t own or manage, but you’ve been authorized to file for, enter “Authorized Person“. This is usually for an attorney or employee of an LLC filing company.

Not sure what these words mean? Check out LLC Officer Titles

File Online

Click File Online to charge your card and submit the Amendment filing.

Note: If you entered your credit or debit card when you set up the Keystone Login account, this will be charged to the card on file. Otherwise, you will need to enter a credit card or debit card.

File by Mail

If you’d rather print out the form to mail the filing and send a check, you can select the Print and Mail option instead. Make your check payable to “Department of State” for $70.

Pennsylvania LLC Name Change Approval for Online Filing

After you file your Certificate of Amendment online, the Pennsylvania Bureau of Corporations will review and process your filing in 7-10 business days.

Once it is approved, they will return your stamped and approved Certificate of Amendment by email.

Pennsylvania LLC Name Change Approval for Mail Filing

After you file your Certificate of Amendment by mail, the Pennsylvania Bureau of Corporations will review and process your filing in 7-10 business days after they receive it.

Once it is approved, they will return your stamped and approved Certificate of Amendment by email if you provided an email address. Otherwise, they will return the stamped and approved Certificate of Amendment by mail.

You Still Have to Change Your Name in Other Places

Important: Changing your LLC name with the PA Bureau of Corporations still leaves your old LLC name in place everywhere else. Essentially, you’ve only changed your PA LLC with one part of the state government, and it’s your responsibility to change it and update it everywhere else.

How to change your LLC name with the IRS

Once you receive back a copy of your Certificate of Amendment from the Pennsylvania Bureau of Corporations, you’ll then need to update your LLC name with the IRS.

We have step-by-step instructions here: how to change LLC name with IRS

Update your myPATH account at the PA Department of Revenue

After you change your LLC Name with the Pennsylvania Department of State, you need to update your account with the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue.

It’s a simple change in the myPATH system, and you can follow the Department of Revenue Name Change Guide.

Other Places To Update Your LLC Name

Besides updating your PA LLC name with the IRS and PA Department of Revenue, you’ll also want to contact the following places and let them know about the change.

Helpful tip: We recommend making a spreadsheet to keep track of everything. Enter the place you are changing your LLC name, their phone number, and a ‘notes’ section. After you successfully change your name, highlight the cell(s) and mark them green. Mark everything that still needs to be changed in orange. This will help keep your sanity.

There may be more, but here are some places to notify about your LLC name change:

  • LLC business bank account
  • business debit card
  • business checks
  • paypal or other online banking solutions
  • commercial registered agent (if you hired one)
  • business credit cards
  • local tax office (city, county, township)
  • business licenses and permits
  • website, domain registrar, hosting company
  • utility companies
  • letterhead, logos, invoices, contracts, and important documents
  • accountant
  • attorney
  • online account registrations
  • anywhere else you do business

And we also recommend contacting your accountant or tax professional as there may be other tax offices to change your PA LLC name with.

Stay calm: Don’t stress out thinking you have to change your Pennsylvania LLC name everywhere right away or all hell will break loose! That’s not the case lol. Take your time and do the important ones first. Give yourself a few days or a few weeks to get them all done. Technically, your old PA LLC name will still “work” for quite some time.

Banking tip: You don’t have to order new checks right away. Your old checks will still work, but we suggest contacting your bank to see what they recommend.

Pennsylvania Bureau of Corporations Contact Info

If you have any questions, please contact the PA Bureau of Corporations & Charitable Organizations at 717-787-1057.

Matt Horwitz
Matt Horwitz
Founder & Educator, LLC University®
Matt Horwitz has been the leading expert on LLC education for the past decade. He founded LLC University in 2010 after realizing people needed simple and actionable instructions to start an LLC that other companies weren't offering. He's cited by Entrepreneur Magazine, Yahoo Finance, and the US Chamber of Commerce, and was featured by CNBC and InventRight.
Matt holds a Bachelor's Degree in business from Drexel University with a concentration in business law. He performs extensive research and analysis to convert state laws into simple instructions anyone can follow to form their LLC - all for free! Read more about Matt Horwitz and LLC University.

42 comments on “Pennsylvania LLC Name Change (Certificate of Amendment)”

Disclaimer: Nothing on this page shall be interpreted as legal or tax advice. Rules and regulations vary by location. They also change over time and are specific to your situation. Furthermore, this comment section is provided so people can share their thoughts and experience. Please consult a licensed professional if you have legal or tax questions.

  1. The information you provided was extremely helpful. Your step-by-step instructions were easy to follow and specific, saving me time and money.

    • Hey Lou, very happy to hear. You’re welcome! Thank you for the kind words.

  2. Thank you for your step-by-step instructions on how to easily change the name and address of my LLC. I have one question though. Does changing the name and address with the Pennsylvania Department of State also trigger them to change the name and address on my Sales Tax ID number, or do I need to fill out more paperwork to change that? Thanks so much

    • Hi Karen, you’re very welcome. No, the name change with the Corporation Bureau does not trigger a name change anywhere else. You’ll need to contact the PA Department of Revenue regarding your Sales Tax ID Number. You can find the form and instructions here. Hope that helps.

  3. Thank you Matt for the easy break down. I tried using PA’s site before but I was looking in the wrong areas. This helped tremendously. I will be changing our name along with a member. If you would not mind sharing – A member has already set in writing his removal. Would removing his ownership from the certificate be the same process as the name change? Thank you!

    • Hey Isaac, thanks for your comment. Glad we could help. In PA, the Member’s info is not listed in the Certificate of Organization, so your changes would just be “internal” (you don’t have to file a Certificate of Amendment). You’d amend your Operating Agreement (or make a new one) and also sign a Resolution about the member stepping down. On what section of the Certificate of Organization is this person’s information?

      • Hi Matt, Thank you for your helpful information. I had a similar issue. I am not sure if we need to notify PA state if we had change of ownership internally.

        • Hi JJ, you don’t need to notify the PA Bureau of Corporations (since LLC Members aren’t listed on the Certificate of Organization), but you’ll likely need to update PA Department of Revenue. And you’ll want to update the IRS as well. We’ll have more clear steps on how to do this in the future, but are working on other content and lessons currently. Hope that helps.

  4. Wow, thanks so freakin much for this awesome guide!!!

    Was such a huge pain trying to figure this out but you laid everything out perfectly.

    Genuinely appreciate it!!!!

    • Hey Thomas, thanks so freakin’ much for your awesome comment!! Comments like your just keep up motivated to make even more helpful LLC guides! I really appreciate you chiming in :-)

  5. Thank you Matt for getting back. Everything got squared away with the exiting partner. I do have one last question. One of our entities is a Limited Partnership with Delaware, domiciled in PA. I am notifying the IRS of the name change. Do you think they will need to confirm the name change confirmation with both states or just Delaware? Thank you Matt

    • Hi Isaac, since it’s a Delaware LP, you’re likely okay to just include the DE confirmation of name change when you submit your letter to the IRS.

      • Thank you Matt for your help. Just waiting to receive that and I will be sending that out. Thank you again for your help.

  6. Your information has been very helpful. Especially the part on amending an LLC. I do have a question though. Our client is changing the name of his LLC. I’ve prepared the Amendment and Docketing Statement. Once those are approved he would still like to use the old LLC name as a DBA LLC. Is this possible? And, if so, how would I fill out the Registration of Fictitious Name if the DBA LLC name already exists in the system?

    • Hey Kristi, glad the guide has been helpful. Most states don’t allow for a DBA name to include a corporate designator, such as “LLC”, but PA is unique in that it does. However, the filing will be rejected because of the name conflict. What you’ll need to do, is along with your PA Registration of Fictitious Name, also a file a Consent to Appropriation of Name. Under #5 (“The consenting association is…”), check off the first option: “About to change its name”. Hope that helps!

      • Matt, That was very helpful. As it turns out, they won’t be “d/b/a” so it isn’t a problem after all. Thanks again. Kristi

  7. AMAZING INFO!!!! Walked me through step by step. Will definitely use services in the future!! Thanks sooooo much!

  8. I have registered my business name. Can I use the name on letterhead and other official documents without attaching the LLC? Or do i need a DBA with the same name, just without the LLC?

    • Hi Lisa, it’s best to use the full legal name of the LLC (including the designator) so people know they are dealing with a legal entity. If you want to operate without using the “LLC”, you’ll want to file a Fictitious Name in PA. Hope that helps.

  9. Matt,
    Your site was extremely helpful for helping me determine if I should set up another LLC or simply establish a DBA. Keep up the great work!!

    Wishing you continued success,


  10. Hello Matt. You’re break down of this was completely amazing. Really helped to get where I am now. I do have a few questions though. My mother and I bought an already established business. When filing the cert. of amend. Who files and signs, the former owner or us? ( the name is not changing) Second question is; does this certify that we are the new owners of this Business entity with PA?

    • Hi Dani, thank you very much! Glad to hear that. Any authorized person can sign the Certificate of Amendment. No, by default, LLC Members are not listed on the original Certificate of Organization and therefore Members can’t be added/removed via a Certificate of Amendment. If you’re buying a business, there should be a contract in place. Additionally, you’ll want an Assignment of LLC Membership Interest, where the prior Member(s) sell their shares of interest in the LLC to you and your mother. Additionally, the Operating Agreement would be amended. Additional contracts/agreement may also be needed/helpful.

      Having said that, if you’re not working with an attorney on this transaction, it’s strongly recommended. You can buy the business without taking over the LLC. Meaning, you could just form a new LLC and acquire the assets of the business (without buying LLC membership interest). Taking over the LLC, means you take on all its assets and liabilities. Do you know if there are judgments against the LLC? Meaning, if the company has debt, it could now be your responsibility. Well, not you personally. But it’ll be attached to the LLC, which you’d then be a Member of. There may be other ways to structure the deal, too. But based on your message, it sounds like you’re trying to DIY the whole thing and it sounds a bit risky since you were trying to do it via the Certificate of Amendment… which does nothing as far as transfer LLC membership interest. Hope I don’t sound rude :) Just sharing some details that are hopefully helpful for you.

  11. Hi! I would like to know if you have an example of filing for statement of correction? I just need to remove the period in my business name not necessarily changing the name completely.

    • Hi Anyae, we don’t at this time. Is the period in the designator (L.L.C.) or elsewhere in the name?

        • Thank you Anyae. In the Statement of Correction, #4 is where you’d make the correction. You can write this:

          Certificate of Organization (DSCB:15-8821, filed XX/XX/2020). The LLC name was filed as The Incorrect Name and it should be corrected to Your Corrected Name, LLC.

          For #3, you can enter “15 Pa.C.S., Section 8821”.

          For #5, you can check off the middle box (The original document to which this statement relates shall be deemed re-executed.)

          Hope that helps :)

  12. My business name required approval from the State Registration Board for Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors and Geologists in order to use the word “engineering” in the business name. If I am trying to change to a new name which also includes the word “engineering” will my previous approval be sufficient, or is there an additional step to the name change process that I need to employ?

    • Hi Anthony, we recommend contacting the State Board to confirm, however, I believe the approval should include the entire name.

  13. Hi Matt

    I don’t need to change my business name but my business address changed…do I have to update it with the PA Bureau?

  14. Great information! I was wondering if when I file for a name change for my LLC if I could change the owner of my LLC at the same time? I’m also unsure what needs done for this. I’m looking to establish a holding entity and have two sub LLC companies under it. I currently have one LLC that I just want to change the name of to pertain more specifically to the type of business and I want it to be owned by the soon to be established holding company.

    • Hi Kayla, thank you! Ownership changes to a Pennsylvania LLC are private, meaning, there isn’t anything to file with the Pennsylvania Bureau of Corporations. You’d sign an Assignment of LLC Membership Interest (we don’t provide this form at this time) and that would transfer your ownership to the holding company LLC. You’ll also want to amend the LLC’s Operating Agreement. Hope that helps.

  15. Thank you for all the info! I’m trying to update the name on my LLC, but I get to the part where you need to check the box if the amendment restates the certificate. After checking the box, I’m then required to ‘upload the restated certificate’ to continue. I’m not sure what I’m supposed to upload here. Any insight on what needs to be on this form? Thank you!

    • Hi! I am currently “stuck” in the same spot. Any idea as to what is the “restated supporting document” that needs to be uploaded is?

  16. Same question as Jon Dec. 21, 2022 and Jen Jan. 1, 2023. Should have been addressed by now?

  17. I spent an hour plus circling the government site trying to figure out how to submit the form. Thank you so much for taking the time to thoroughly document these steps. This was so incredibly helpful.


Leave a comment or question

 Email me when I get a reply.