Last updated on
Nevada LLC Name Search
Quick Start Guide
This Quick Start Guide is a brief overview of how to form an LLC in Nevada.
Nevada LLC Costs:
Nevada LLC formation: $425
Nevada LLC annual fees: $350 per year
(check out Northwest vs LegalZoom)
Searching your Nevada LLC name
The first step to forming an LLC in Nevada is to compare your desired LLC name against the names of existing businesses registered in the state and make sure it’s available for use.
(This is known as being “distinguishable upon the records” with the Nevada Secretary of State)
Additionally, your Nevada LLC name must follow certain requirements and restrictions in order to comply with state laws, known as the Nevada Revised Statutes.
If you’re familiar with the process of forming an LLC in Nevada and just want to jump into the searches, here is the name search page made available from the Nevada Secretary of State:
Nevada Business Name Search:
However, we recommend reading this entire LLC name lesson first to make sure you don’t make any mistakes when naming your Nevada LLC.
Nevada LLC Name Requirements & Restrictions
Before doing an LLC name search in Nevada, there are a few requirements and restrictions you need to know (as per NRS 86.171):
Comma in LLC Name
You can file your LLC name with or without a comma. Both are acceptable by the state.
For example: If your desired Nevada LLC name is “Big Teddy Tractors”, you can file it as:
– Big Teddy Tractors LLC
– or Big Teddy Tractors, LLC
Instead of having “LLC” as your designator (ending), there are other options in Nevada.
Your Nevada LLC Name Must Include the Proper Designator
Your Nevada LLC must contain one of the following designators at the end of its name:
- Limited Co.
- Limited Company
- Limited Liability Co.
- Limited Liability Company
For example: If your desired Nevada LLC name is “Big Teddy Tractors”, the complete name would be “Big Teddy Tractors LLC”, “Big Teddy Tractors, Ltd.”, etc.
Northwest ($39 + state fee) or LegalZoom ($149 + state fee)
(check out Northwest vs LegalZoom)
Nevada LLC Name Restrictions
Your Nevada LLC name cannot imply that it is a Corporation or any other type of business besides an LLC.
You cannot use the following words or designators anywhere in your Nevada LLC name:
- P.A. or P.C.
- Professional Association or Professional Corporation
- Non Profit Corporation
Additionally, your Nevada LLC name cannot contain a word, phrase, abbreviation that is prohibited or restricted by any other state law. Some examples are making your LLC sound like it’s a bank, a part of the government, or anything else that misleads the public.
Some examples are: Police, Fire Department, Federal, Government, United States of America, City, Town, and County.
Additionally, there are over 70 restricted words that cannot be used in your Nevada LLC name unless you get approval. Please see the Nevada Secretary of State’s list of restricted words: https://www.nvsos.gov/sos/businesses/commercial-recordings/restricted-word-list
Nevada LLC Name Must Be Distinguishable
Your Nevada LLC name must be distinguishable upon the records of the Secretary of State.
This means that your LLC name must be unique when compared to existing businesses registered in Nevada.
Nevada Business Search Page
You can search your desired Nevada LLC name against the existing businesses registered in the state by using the business search page.
Nevada Secretary of State business search page:
How to Search an LLC Name in Nevada
1. Enter your LLC name in the “Name” field. Leave the rest of the fields blank. And then click “Search” at the bottom.
2. It’s best to search only part of your LLC name to ensure that you see everything that is potentially similar. For example, if your desired Nevada LLC name is “Big Teddy Tractor LLC“, it’s best to just search “Big Teddy“, “Big Ted“, and “Teddy“.
Why? This way, if there is a “Big Ted’s” or “Big Teddie“, you’ll see them; which is important, since they will be confusingly similar to your name and you may want to come up with a more unique LLC name to make your business stand out.
3. Leave out the designator, such as “LLC”, “L.L.C.”, etc. when doing your searches.
4. Leave out any punctuation like commas, periods, apostrophes, quotes, and hyphens.
5. The Nevada name database ignores capitalization so you can search LLC names using uppercase or lowercase letters.
Understanding the Nevada Business Search Results
• If the results show names that are not too similar to yours, then your desired Nevada LLC name is available for use.
• If a “no records found with your search criteria” message appears, this means your desired Nevada LLC name is unique and available for use.
• If your desired LLC name already appears in the list exactly as you want it, your desired Nevada LLC name is not available for use. You’ll need to come up with a new name or unique variation that makes your LLC name distinguishable.
• If the results show a name that is deceptively similar to yours, your desired Nevada LLC name will likely be rejected. We recommend coming up with a new name or unique variation that makes your LLC distinguishable.
Do I need a DBA (Fictitious Firm Name) for my Nevada LLC?
No, you are not required to register a DBA (Fictitious Firm Name) for your Nevada LLC. You only need to do this if your LLC will operate under a name different from how it was legally filed.
Most LLCs just do business under their legal name.
For more information, please see the following article: Do I need a DBA for my LLC?
How to Brainstorm LLC Name Ideas
The name of your Nevada LLC will be the name of your brand, and picking a good name is an important component to the success of your business.
We recommend reading our how to choose a business name lesson, then take out a piece of paper and write down as many LLC names as you can think of. Then set the piece of paper aside and sleep on it. The following day, skim through the list and circle your top 2-3 names.
Then sleep on it one more night. The following day, the best name for your Nevada LLC usually just “presents itself”.
Nevada Secretary of State Contact Info
If you have any questions about your LLC name, you can contact the Nevada Secretary of State at 775-684-5708. Their hours are Monday through Friday, from 8am – 5pm Pacific Time.
Next Step: Nevada LLC Registered Agent
After you search your desired Nevada LLC name and make sure it’s available, you’re ready to select your LLC’s Registered Agent. We’ll discuss this in the next lesson: Nevada LLC Registered Agent.