Last updated September 3, 2021
How to Form an LLC in Virginia
How to form an LLC in Virginia ← you are here
This Quick Start Guide is a brief overview of how to form an LLC in Virginia.
Virginia LLC Costs:
Virginia LLC cost: $100
Virginia LLC annual fee: $50
★ Check out Northwest vs LegalZoom
Here is a quick overview on starting an LLC in Virginia
A Virginia Limited Liability Company (LLC) is a legal structure used to protect your personal assets (home, car, bank account) in the event your business is sued.
An LLC can be used to operate a business, or an LLC can be used to hold assets (such as real estate, vehicles, boats, or aircraft).
How to form an LLC in Virginia:
- Search your Virginia LLC name in the state database
- Choose a Virginia Registered Agent
- File your LLC Articles of Organization (can be filed online or by mail)
- Pay the state’s LLC filing fee of $100
After your Virginia LLC is approved:
- Complete and sign an Operating Agreement
- Obtain a Federal Tax ID Number from the IRS
- Pay the $50 Annual Registration Fee every year
We’ve created a free DIY course that will walk you through forming your Virginia LLC, step-by-step.
You can find the detailed lessons at the top of this page.
Northwest ($39 + state fee) or LegalZoom ($149 + state fee)
(check out Northwest vs LegalZoom)