Home » New Hampshire LLC

Last updated August 18, 2021

Deal alert! Our favorite company, Northwest, is forming LLCs for $39 (60% off!)

How to Form an LLC
in New Hampshire

How to form an LLC in New Hampshire ← you are here
This Quick Start Guide is a brief overview of how to form an LLC in New Hampshire.

Detailed Lessons:


New Hampshire LLC costs:
LLC formation: $100 (one-time fee)
Annual report: $100 (every year)

Need help?
Hire a company to form your New Hampshire LLC:
Northwest ($39 + state fee) or LegalZoom ($149 + state fee)

★ Check out Northwest vs LegalZoom

Here is a quick overview on starting an LLC in New Hampshire

How to Form an LLC in New HampshireA New Hampshire Limited Liability Company (LLC) is a legal structure used to protect your personal assets (home, car, bank account) in the event your business is sued.

A New Hampshire LLC can be used to operate a business, or an LLC can be used to hold assets (such as real estate, vehicles, boats, or aircraft).

Forming an LLC in New Hampshire is simple. Search your New Hampshire LLC name in the state database and select your Registered Agent.

File your Certificate of Formation with the New Hampshire Secretary of State and wait for your LLC to be approved.

You can file your LLC by mail or online. The state filing fee is $100 in both cases (plus $2 transaction fee for online filing). If you file by mail, your New Hampshire LLC will be approved in 1-3 weeks. If you file online, your New Hampshire LLC will be approved in 3-7 business days.

Note: Filing times may take longer due to the current global situation and government delays. Please see how long does it take to get an LLC in New Hampshire.

You can also file your New Hampshire LLC by walk-in, but this is usually only helpful to local residents or those willing to drive to Concord, NH 03301.

After your New Hampshire LLC is approved, complete your Operating Agreement and get your Federal Tax ID Number (aka EIN) from the IRS.

In order to keep your New Hampshire LLC in compliance, you need to file an LLC Annual Report each year. The fee is $100 and is due by April 1st every year.

We’ve created a free course that will walk you through forming your New Hampshire LLC, step-by-step.

You can find the detailed lessons linked at the top of this page.

Need to save time? Hire a professional to form your LLC in New Hampshire:
Northwest ($39 + state fee) or LegalZoom ($149 + state fee)

(check out Northwest vs LegalZoom)

Matt Horwitz
Matt Horwitz
Founder & Educator, LLC University®
Matt Horwitz has been the leading expert on LLC education for the past decade. He founded LLC University in 2010 after realizing people needed simple and actionable instructions to start an LLC that other companies weren't offering. He's cited by Entrepreneur Magazine, Yahoo Finance, and the US Chamber of Commerce, and was featured by CNBC and InventRight.
Matt holds a Bachelor's Degree in business from Drexel University with a concentration in business law. He performs extensive research and analysis to convert state laws into simple instructions anyone can follow to form their LLC - all for free! Read more about Matt Horwitz and LLC University.

6 comments on “New Hampshire LLC”

Disclaimer: Nothing on this page shall be interpreted as legal or tax advice. Rules and regulations vary by location. They also change over time and are specific to your situation. Furthermore, this comment section is provided so people can share their thoughts and experience. Please consult a licensed professional if you have legal or tax questions.

  1. Hello my question is New Hampshire is April 1st for renewals of LLc if I set up a new one in March will I have to renew a month later?

    • Hi Tom, please see our New Hampshire LLC Annual Report page for full details, but the quick answer is no. If your LLC is formed in March of 2018, then your first Annual Report will be due by April 1st of 2019. Hope that helps.

  2. Hi Matt,

    If I start an LLC this summer, but move to another state next summer, what happens during the move and the first month or so in the new state? Does my LLC continue to operate in the original state until I somehow transfer to the new state? Seems like this could be a complicated situation.

    Thank you ,

    • Hi Mike, there are usually 3 ways to move an LLC:

      1. Dissolve old LLC and form a new LLC. This is usually the cleanest (record-wise), however, you’ll need a new EIN and new bank account opened in the new state.

      2. File a Foreign LLC qualification (allows existing LLC to do business in new state). You can use same EIN and bank account, however, this can be expensive since you’re maintaining 2 LLC filings (note: it’s still one LLC though). You have the cost of the Foreign LLC Registration/Qualification, Registered Agent fees in both states (if applicable), and Annual Reports in both states (if applicable).

      3. Redomesticate (sometimes called “conversion” or merger”) old LLC from current jurisdiction (old state) to new jurisdiction (new state). You can keep the EIN and the bank account, but the filing is more complicated.

      It may be easiest to form the LLC in the state you are soon moving to. Hope that helps.

  3. Hi! I have had a registered trade name in the state of NH for a number of years but would like to convert to an LLC in the new year. I think this means I deviate from the process you’ve laid out here. What do I need to do to make sure I can transfer my business name?

Leave a comment or question

Comments are temporarily disabled.