LLC Annual Fees by State

Home » Articles » LLC Annual Fees by State

Need to save time?

Hire a company to form your LLC:
Northwest ($39 + state fee)
LegalZoom ($149 + state fee)

Deal alert! Northwest will form your LLC for $39 (60% discount). See details.

LLC Annual Fees by State

Note: Some fees mentioned in the video above have changed. Make sure to reference the table below for the most up-to-date information for your Limited Liability Company.

The table below shows LLC annual fees by state.

As of 2024, the average LLC annual fee in the US is $91.

Most states call the LLC annual fee requirement the Annual Report, however, it has many other names:

  • Annual Certificate
  • Annual List of Members
  • Annual Registration Fee
  • LLC CostBiennial Report
  • Biennial Statement
  • Business Privilege Tax Return
  • Franchise Tax Report
  • Periodic Report
  • and more

Important: Just because certain states have lower fees does not mean you should form an LLC there! It could end up costing you a lot more money. You could end up illegally doing business in your home state and having to file 2 LLCs (a Domestic LLC and a Foreign LLC). If you haven’t seen our “best state” video yet, make sure to check it out: What’s the best state to form an LLC?

What’s the LLC Filing Fee?

The LLC filing fee is a one-time fee paid to the state to form an LLC. You can think of your LLC filing fee as being one of your LLC startup costs.

What’s the LLC Annual Fee?

LLC Annual ReportThe LLC annual fee is an ongoing fee paid to the state to keep your LLC in compliance and in good standing. You can think of Annual Fees as being part of your LLC maintenance costs.

It’s usually paid every 1 or 2 years, depending on the state.

These ongoing fees are required, regardless of your LLC’s income or activity.

Said another way: you have to pay this even if your LLC does nothing at all or makes no money. Failure to pay the annual fee will result in the state dissolving (shutting down) your LLC. This is the case in over 90% of the states.

Need to save time? Hire a company to form your LLC:
Northwest ($39 + state fee) or LegalZoom ($149 + state fee)

(Learn why Northwest is #1 in Northwest vs LegalZoom)

LLC Annual Fees (as of 2024):

State LLCLLC Filing FeeLLC Annual FeeDuePayable To & Form Name
Alabama LLC$200$50 minimum2.5 months after formation and annually by April 15AL Department of Revenue, Initial Business Privilege Tax Return
Alaska LLC$250$100Biennial, January 2AK Department of CCED, Biennial Report
Arizona LLC$50$0No annual fee + no report dueN/A, N/A
Arkansas LLC$45$150Annual, May 1AR Secretary of State, Franchise Tax Report
California LLC$70$800 + $20VariousCA Franchise Tax Board, Annual LLC Franchise Tax + Stmt. of Information
Colorado LLC$50$105 month window surrounding
anniversary month
CO Secretary of State, Periodic Report
Connecticut LLC$120$80Annual, March 31CT Secretary of State, Annual Report
Delaware LLC$90$300Annual, June 1DE Dept. of State, Annual Franchise Tax
Florida LLC$125$138.75Annual, May 1FL Department of State, Annual Report
Georgia LLC$100$50Annual, April 1GA Secretary of State, Annual Registration Fee
Hawaii LLC$50$15During quarter of anniversary dateHI Business Registration Division, Annual Report
Idaho LLC$100$0 (must file an information report, no fee though)Annual, anniversary monthID Secretary of State, Annual Report
Illinois LLC$150$75Annual, anniversary monthIL Secretary of State, Annual Report
Indiana LLC$95$30Biennial, anniversary monthIN Secretary of State, Business Entity Report
Iowa LLC$50$30Biennial, April 1 of odd yearsIA Secretary of State, Biennial Report
Kansas LLC$160$50Annual, April 15KS Secretary of State, Annual Report
Kentucky LLC$40$15Annual, June 30KY Secretary of State, Annual Report
Louisiana LLC$100$35Annual, anniversary monthLA Secretary of State, Annual Report
Maine LLC$175$85Annual, June 1ME Secretary of State, Annual Report
Maryland LLC$100$300Annual, April 15MD State Dept. of Assessments, Personal Property Tax
Massachusetts LLC$500$500Annual, anniversary monthMA Secretary of the Commonwealth, Annual Report
Michigan LLC$50$25Annual, February 15MI Dept. of LARA, Annual Report
Minnesota LLC$155$0 (must file an information report, no fee though)Annual, December 31MN Secretary of State, Annual Report
Mississippi LLC$50$0 (must file an information report, no fee though)Annual, April 15MS Secretary of State, Annual Report
Missouri LLC$50$0No annual fee + no report dueN/A, N/A
Montana LLC$35$20Annual, April 15MT Secretary of State, Annual Report
Nebraska LLC$100$13Biennial, April 1 of odd yearsNE Secretary of State, Biennial Report
Nevada LLC$425$350Annually, anniversary monthNV Secretary of State, Annual List of Members + Business License
New Hampshire LLC$100$100Annual, April 1NH Secretary of State, Annual Report
New Jersey LLC$125$75Annual, anniversary monthNJ Department of Treasury, Annual Report
New Mexico LLC$50$0No annual fee + no report dueN/A, N/A
New York LLC$200$9Biennial, anniversary monthNY Department of State, Biennial Statement
North Carolina LLC$125$200Annual, April 15NC Secretary of State, Annual Report
North Dakota LLC$135$50Annual, November 15ND Secretary of State, Annual Report
Ohio LLC$99$0No annual fee + no report dueN/A, N/A
Oklahoma LLC$100$25Annual, anniversary monthOK Secretary of State, Annual Certificate
Oregon LLC$100$100Annual, anniversary monthOR Secretary of State, Annual Report
Pennsylvania LLC$125$7Annual, September 30 (starting in 2025)PA Department of State, Annual Report
Rhode Island LLC$150$50Annual, February 1 - May 1RI Secretary of State, Annual Report
South Carolina LLC$110$0No report due unless LLC files taxes as an S-CorpN/A, N/A
South Dakota LLC$150$50Annual, anniversary monthSD Secretary of State, Annual Report
Tennessee LLC$300$300 minimumAnnual, April 1TN Secretary of State, Annual Report
Texas LLC$300$0 for most LLCs (however a No Tax Due Report and Public Information Report must be filed every year)Annual, May 15TX Comptroller, Public Information Report + Franchise Tax
Utah LLC$54$18Annual, anniversary monthUT Department of Commerce, Annual Report
Vermont LLC$125$35Annual, March 15VT Secretary of State, Annual Report
Virginia LLC$100$50Annual, anniversary monthVA Corporation Commission, Annual Registration Fee
Washington LLC$200$60Annual, anniversary monthWA Secretary of State, Annual Report
Washington DC LLC$99$300Biennial, April 1DCRA, Biennial Report
West Virginia LLC$100$25Annual, July 1WV Secretary of State, Annual Report
Wisconsin LLC$130$25Annual, anniversary quarterWI Secretary of State,
Annual Report
Wyoming LLC$100$60 minimumAnnual, anniversary monthWY Secretary of State, Annual Report

LLC Annual Fees FAQs

Which state has the lowest LLC fees?

The following states don’t have Annual Report fees:

  • Arizona
  • Idaho
  • Minnesota
  • Mississippi
  • Missouri
  • New Mexico
  • Ohio
  • South Carolina (unless you file as an S-Corp. However, this is rare.)
  • Texas

Note: Most Texas LLCs don’t have to pay an annual fee. This is because most Texas LLCs make less than $1,230,000 per year.

However, many states require other ongoing fees to conduct business in the state – like annual business license filing fees.

Additionally, local requirements at the city, state, and county levels may also mean your LLC has ongoing costs separate from any annual report fee requirements.

We recommend checking with your local municipality to see if your Limited Liability Company needs to pay for business licensing – or any other associated fees – at the local level.

Do I have to update my Operating Agreement annually?

No, you don’t have to update your Operating Agreement annually.

Operating AgreementAn Operating Agreement is an internal document, meaning that you simply keep it with your business records. You don’t have to file your Operating Agreement with the Secretary of State or any other state or federal agency.

That said, you should update your Operating Agreement if you change any of the processes that it governs, like how your business will distribute profits, rules around adding a new LLC Member, and who will be the responsible party for any payroll or state and federal tax purposes.

If you need an Operating Agreement for your Limited Liability Company, we offer free LLC Operating Agreement templates.

What are the benefits of an LLC?

The first benefit of an LLC is LLC asset protection. Meaning, if your business is sued, your personal assets – like your home, cars, and bank accounts – are protected.

This protection applies to all LLC owners (called LLC Members). It doesn’t matter if you have a Single-Member LLC or Multi-Member LLC. All of the LLC owners are protected from the business debts and liabilities of the business.

This type of protection wouldn’t apply if you operate as a Sole Proprietorship or Partnership. With these types of informal business structures, the owners aren’t protected in the event of a lawsuit. For that reason, Limited Liability Companies (LLCs) are a much more common business structure than a Sole Proprietorship or Partnership.

Another benefit is LLC pass-through taxation. This means the LLC itself doesn’t pay federal taxes on income to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Instead, the profits “pass through” to the LLC Members. And the Members report and pay the taxes on their personal income tax return.

To learn more, please see How are LLCs Taxed.

How to start an LLC step-by-step:

Here are the steps to start an LLC:

  1. How to start an LLCChoose an LLC name and make sure it’s available
  2. Choose who will be your Registered Agent
  3. File the LLC Articles of Organization
  4. Complete and sign an LLC Operating Agreement
  5. Get a Federal Tax ID Number (EIN) from the IRS
  6. Open an LLC bank account
  7. Check whether you need a business or sales tax license

We’ll walk you through it all with our step-by-step guides.

Matt Horwitz
Matt Horwitz
Matt Horwitz is the leading expert on LLC education, and has been teaching for 15 years. He founded LLC University in 2010 after realizing people needed simple and actionable instructions to start an LLC. He's cited by Entrepreneur Magazine, Yahoo Finance, and the US Chamber of Commerce, and was featured by CNBC and InventRight.
Matt holds a Bachelor's Degree in business from Drexel University with a concentration in business law. He performs extensive research and analysis to convert state laws into simple instructions anyone can follow to form their LLC - all for free! Read more about Matt Horwitz and LLC University.

Want our free email course?

Get simple LLC lessons sent right to your inbox.

Thanks! You're subscribed √
Your email address is already subscribed.

Leave a comment or question

Comments are temporarily disabled.