Last updated on
Nebraska LLC Name Search
How to form an LLC in Nebraska
This Quick Start Guide is a brief overview of how to form an LLC in Nebraska.
Nebraska LLC costs:
LLC formation: $105 (one-time fee)
Biennial report: $10 (every 2 years)
(check out Northwest vs LegalZoom)
The first step to forming an LLC in Nebraska is to search your desired LLC name and make sure it is available for use.
Your Nebraska LLC name must be unique and must follow certain state requirements.
Nebraska LLC Name Requirements
Before searching your LLC name in Nebraska, there are a few requirements you need to know:
1. The abbreviations “LLC” or “L.L.C.” must be used at the end of your Nebraska LLC name. The abbreviation “LLC” is the most common.
2. Because a Nebraska LLC is not a Corporation, your desired LLC name cannot use the word “Corporation”, “Incorporated,” or their abbreviations (“Corp.”, “Inc.”).
3. Your desired LLC name must be distinguishable. This means it must be different and unique from all other businesses registered in Nebraska.
Differences in designators (the identifiers at the end of a business name) and differences in grammar do not create distinguishability.
• LLC, L.L.C, Inc., Corp.
• singular, plural, and possessive
• A, An, The
• and, or, &
• hyphens, slashes, periods, commas
• three vs. 3
The following examples are NOT distinguishable:
– Smith Investments, LLC vs. Smith Investments, Inc.
– Apple Farm, LLC vs. Apple Farms, LLC
– Print Shop, LLC vs. The Print Shop, LLC
– Night & Day, LLC vs. Night and Day, LLC
– Peter Paul & Mary Studios, LLC vs. Peter-Paul-Mary Studios, Inc
– Three Teachers Consulting, LLC vs. 3 Teachers Consulting, LLC
Northwest ($39 + state fee) or LegalZoom ($149 + state fee)
(check out Northwest vs LegalZoom)
Searching the Nebraska Name Database
1. Visit the Database
Go to the Corporate and Business Search page: https://www.nebraska.gov/sos/corp/corpsearch.cgi?nav=search
2. Search your LLC
Select “Name Starts With” as your search option, enter your desired LLC name in the “Name” search box, click the “I’m not a robot” security feature, then click the “Perform Search” button.
• Leave out the designator (“LLC”, “L.L.C.”, etc.) and leave out any punctuation.
• Capitalization doesn’t matter. You can search in uppercase or lowercase.
• To be thorough, just enter the first word or two of your LLC name to ensure you see everything that is potentially similar. (Ex: if your desired Nebraska LLC name is “Johnny Apple Farm LLC”, just enter “johnny apple”).
• To be even more thorough, just enter a part of the first word. (Ex: if your desired Nebraska LLC name is “Printing Solutions LLC”, just enter “print”).
3. Browse the Results
Click the “Perform Search” button and browse the list of existing Nebraska businesses:
• If the results show names that are not too similar to yours (meaning yours is distinguishable), then your desired LLC name is available for use.
• If a “Your search has returned 0 results” message appears in the Nebraska database, that means your desired LLC name is unique and available for use.
• If your desired LLC name appears in the list exactly as you want it, your desired Nebraska LLC name is not available for use. You’ll need to think of a new name or use some creativity and come up with a unique variation.
• If the results show a name that is deceptively similar to yours, your desired Nebraska LLC name is not available for use. You’ll need to think of a new name or use some creativity and come up with a unique variation.
Tip: If you’re not 100% sure that your desired Nebraska LLC name is distinguishable, just file your paperwork with the state. If your name is not available, the Nebraska Secretary of State will send back your filing and let you know that the name needs to be changed.
Important: Do not apply for your Federal Tax ID Number (EIN) until your LLC is approved. Also, do not purchase a domain name, business cards, letterhead, signs, marketing materials, etc., until the Nebraska Secretary of State has approved your LLC.
Once you find a Nebraska LLC name that is unique and distinguishable, you’re ready to select your LLC’s Registered Agent. We’ll discuss this in the next lesson: Nebraska LLC Registered Agent.
Nebraska Secretary of State Contact Info
If you have any questions, you can contact the Nebraska Secretary of State at 402-471-4079.