How to Get an EIN for a Nebraska LLC

Home » Nebraska LLC » How to Get an EIN for a Nebraska LLC

Deal alert! Our favorite company, Northwest, is forming LLCs for $39 (60% off!) See details.

How to form an LLC in Nebraska
This Quick Start Guide is a brief overview of how to form an LLC in Nebraska.

Detailed Lessons:


Nebraska LLC costs:
LLC formation: $105 (one-time fee)
Biennial report: $10 (every 2 years)

Need to save time?
Hire a company to form your LLC:
Northwest ($39 + state fee) or LegalZoom ($149 + state fee)

★ Check out Northwest vs LegalZoom

What is an EIN Number?

An EIN Number stands for Employer Identification Number and it will be issued by the IRS to your Nebraska LLC.

An EIN is to your Nebraska LLC what a Social Security Number is to a person. It helps the IRS identify your business for tax and filing purposes.

Having an EIN for your Nebraska LLC allows you to open a separate bank account under the LLC’s name, apply for certain licenses and permits, and handle employee payroll (if applicable).

Even though it’s called an Employer Identification Number, it doesn’t mean that you have to have employees. The EIN is just a type of Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) that identifies your Nebraska LLC with the IRS.

Special offer: If you hire Northwest to form your LLC ($39 + state fee), they'll get your EIN Number for $50.

EIN Synonyms

Your Nebraska LLC’s EIN may be called different names. They all mean the same thing though.

Similar terms for an EIN include:

  • EIN Number
  • Employer ID Number
  • Employer Identification Number
  • Federal Employer ID Number
  • Federal Employer Identification Number
  • FEIN
  • Federal Tax Number
  • Federal Tax ID Number
  • Federal Tax Identification Number

Benefits of having an EIN for your Nebraska LLC

Having an EIN for your Nebraska LLC enables you to do the following:

  • Open an LLC business bank account
  • File taxes at the federal, state, and local level
  • Handle employee payroll (if applicable)
  • Obtain business lines of credit or business loans
  • Get a business credit card for your LLC
  • Apply for business licenses

Wait for your Nebraska LLC to be approved

Wait for your Nebraska LLC to be approved by the Secretary of State before applying for your EIN. Otherwise, if your LLC filing is rejected, you’ll have an EIN attached to a non-existent LLC.

However, if this does happen, you can always cancel your EIN and then apply for a new one. And you don’t have to wait for your cancellation to go through before applying for a new EIN.

Applying for an EIN for your LLC is free ($0)

Applying for an EIN for your Nebraska LLC is completely free.

The IRS doesn’t charge anything for applying for an EIN.

Don’t have an SSN or ITIN?

If you’re a foreigner who formed a Nebraska LLC, you can still get an EIN without having an SSN or ITIN.

You just can’t get your EIN online. Instead, you need to mail or fax Form SS-4 to the IRS.

We have instructions here: How to apply for EIN without an SSN or ITIN.

(related article: How to apply for an ITIN)

EIN Phone Application

You may have read that you can apply for an EIN by phone. This is no longer the case. The IRS has discontinued this service.

The only businesses that can get an EIN by phone are Exempt Organizations (like non-profits) and Foreign Companies (companies formed outside of the United States).

If you’re a foreigner and you formed an LLC in Nebraska, we have instructions below on how to apply for your EIN.

EIN Responsible Party

The EIN Responsible Party is a person that goes on file with the IRS when you apply for an EIN for your Nebraska LLC.

Think of the Responsible Party as the LLC’s “contact person”. The IRS will send your LLC’s mail and correspondence to this person.

If you have a Single-Member Nebraska LLC:

Then you will be the EIN Responsible Party.

If you have a Multi-Member Nebraska LLC:

One of the LLC Members will be the EIN Responsible Party.

The IRS just wants one person as the EIN Responsible Party. They don’t want all the Nebraska LLC Members’ information. The IRS gets the other Members’ information when you file your 1065 Partnership return and issue K-1s each year.

Although any LLC Member can be listed, you should list the LLC Member that will take on the responsibility of making sure the LLC’s taxes are handled properly.

If your Nebraska LLC is owned by another company:

The IRS made changes in 2018 that no longer allow an EIN Responsible Party to be a company. The EIN Responsible Party must be an individual person. So it’s best to list one of the individual owners of the parent company.

Note: If you have a Nebraska LLC that is owned by another company and you try to get an EIN online, you’ll just get an error message (EIN reference number) at the end of the application.

Learn more:

To learn more about who can be the EIN Responsible Party for your Nebraska LLC, please see EIN Responsible Party for LLC.

How is a Nebraska LLC taxed?

By default, a Nebraska LLC is taxed based on the number of Members (owners).

Meaning, an LLC is just taxed in the default status set by the IRS and the LLC doesn’t elect to be taxed as a Corporation (either a C-Corporation or an S-Corporation).

(related article: how are LLCs taxed)

The default tax status for a Nebraska Single-Member LLC is a Disregarded Entity, meaning if the LLC is owned by an individual, the LLC is taxed like a Sole Proprietorship. If the LLC is owned by a company, it is taxed as a branch/division of the parent company.

The default tax status for a Nebraska Multi-Member LLC is Partnership, meaning the IRS taxes the LLC like a Partnership.

If instead, you want your Nebraska LLC taxed as a C-Corp, you’ll first apply for an EIN and then later file Form 8832. If you want your LLC taxed as an S-Corp, you’ll first apply for an EIN and then later file Form 2553.

If you choose to have your Nebraska LLC taxed as a Corporation, make sure you speak with an accountant as there are a lot of details you need to consider. Having an LLC taxed as an S-Corporation is a much more popular choice than having an LLC taxed as a C-Corporation. S-Corporation taxation usually makes sense once an LLC generates about $70,000 in net income per year.

How to apply for an EIN for your Nebraska LLC

Below you will find 3 different sets of instructions:

1. If you have an SSN or ITIN, use the EIN online application

We recommend applying for an EIN online for your Nebraska LLC if you have an SSN or ITIN.

This is the easiest filing method and it has the fastest approval time.

We have instructions here:
How to apply for an EIN online

2. If you apply online, but you get an error message

If you have an SSN or ITIN, apply for an EIN online, but you get an error message (called an EIN reference number) at the end, you will need to mail or fax Form SS-4 to the IRS instead.

We have instructions here:
Apply for EIN for LLC with Form SS-4

3. If you don’t have an SSN or ITIN

If you don’t have an SSN or ITIN, you can still get an EIN for your Nebraska LLC. You just can’t apply for an EIN online.

You will need to mail or fax Form SS-4 to the IRS instead and you must fill the form out in a certain way.

We have instructions here:
How to get an EIN without an SSN or ITIN

EIN Confirmation Letter (EIN Approval)

Once the IRS issues an EIN for your Nebraska LLC you will receive your official approval, known as an EIN Confirmation Letter (CP 575).

The method you used to apply for an EIN will determine how you receive your EIN Confirmation Letter.

If you applied for an EIN online:
You’ll be able to download a PDF copy of your EIN Confirmation Letter at the end of the online application. There is no waiting time. The IRS will also send you a duplicate copy in the mail in about 4 to 5 weeks.

If you sent Form SS-4 by fax:
The IRS will fax you back your EIN Confirmation Letter within 4 to 7 business days.

If you sent Form SS-4 by mail:
The IRS will mail your EIN Confirmation Letter within 4 to 8 weeks.

Here is what the EIN Confirmation Letter for an LLC looks like:

EIN Confirmation Letter (CP 575) for LLC

How to Cancel an EIN?

If there was a mistake with your first EIN application or you need to cancel your EIN Number for any reason, you just need to mail a cancellation letter to the IRS.

We have instructions here: how to cancel an EIN.

You don’t have to wait for your EIN cancellation to be finalized before getting a new EIN for your Nebraska LLC.

LLC Business Bank Account

After getting your EIN, you can then open a separate business bank account for your Nebraska LLC.

Banks usually ask for the following documents to open a Nebraska LLC business bank account:

  • EIN Confirmation Letter
  • LLC Approval (stamped and approved Certificate of Organization)
  • LLC Operating Agreement
  • Driver’s License and/or Passport

Aside from the above, banks may also require other paperwork (like proof of address), so we recommend calling a few banks in Nebraska ahead of time before visiting them in person. It’s also a good idea to ask if they have monthly fees on their “basic” business checking accounts since there are a number of banks that don’t have any monthly fees.

If you’re a non-US resident (foreigner), you will need to show 2 forms of identification, such as your foreign passport and your foreign driver’s license. There are additional things to keep in mind when opening a U.S. bank account for your Nebraska LLC that we have listed here: Non-US resident opening U.S. bank account for an LLC

Note: You will need to open a bank account in Nebraska since that is where you formed your LLC.

IRS Contact Information

If you have any questions, you can call the IRS at 1-800-829-4933. Their office hours are 7am – 7pm, Monday through Friday.

We recommend that you call the IRS early to avoid long holding times.

Next Step

Once the IRS has issued an EIN for your Nebraska LLC, you can then proceed to the next lesson: Nebraska LLC Newspaper Publication Requirements.

Matt Horwitz

Matt Horwitz
Founder & Educator, LLC University®
Matt Horwitz has been the leading expert on LLC education for the past decade. He founded LLC University in 2010 after realizing people needed simple and actionable instructions to start an LLC that other companies weren't offering. He's cited by Entrepreneur Magazine, Yahoo Finance, and the US Chamber of Commerce, and was featured by CNBC and InventRight.
Matt holds a Bachelor's Degree in business from Drexel University with a concentration in business law. He performs extensive research and analysis to convert state laws into simple instructions anyone can follow to form their LLC - all for free! Read more about Matt Horwitz and LLC University.

11 comments on “Nebraska Federal Tax ID Number (EIN)”

Disclaimer: Nothing on this page shall be interpreted as legal or tax advice. Rules and regulations vary by location. They also change over time and are specific to your situation. Furthermore, this comment section is provided so people can share their thoughts and experience. Please consult a licensed professional if you have legal or tax questions.

  1. Awesome site, even as a paralegal I had to brush up when filing our LLC, and you not only covered everything from A-Z, but even all of the in between things! Thanks so much :)

    • Hi Mary, apologies for the slow reply. Your comment accidentally went into the spam folder. I really appreciate you sharing this! We work very hard to try to cover as much details and questions as possible, so you pointing that out means a lot! Hope you have a great week :)

  2. Hi Matt,

    Again very helpful information. I have been a sole prop in Nebraska for 10 years. I obtained an EIN number when I started my sole prop 10 years ago. I’m now changing my structure but “not really”. I’m taking my same name and adding LLC to it as an single member “disregarded entity”. Should I obtain a new EIN number for my same name LLC/single member LLC (disregarded entity) or can I use my same old Sole Prop EIN?

    Basically everything is staying the same and all assets and money I’m transferring to an LLC to gain the legal protection benefits of an LLC.

    • Hey Chris, after you file your “final return” for the Sole Proprietorship, you can cancel your EIN. However, you don’t have to wait for that to happen before you get a new EIN for your LLC. I recommend getting a new EIN right after your LLC is approved. Hope that helps!

  3. Hi Matt, thanks for the info. I’m just hoping it doesn’t throw off my bank loan ability. One of the reasons I’m doing all of this is to start investing into real estate. I’m hoping having a new EIN with no revenue history doesn’t stop me from getting loans. My Sole Prop EIN has 10 years of good profit showing. But either way they should go off past 2 years tax returns. That’s how it typically goes in Nebraska. And don’t worry I will be sure to have the Investment LLC formed before I purchase the properties!! My final thoughts on this are, as a disregarded entity it falls back to my SSN# (sole prop) in the IRS eyes anyhow.

    Also just spoke with IRS. They only issue 1 sole proprietor EIN per persons lifetime. Its just a fancy way to protect your SSN#. Any thoughts of just leaving the sole prop EIN in place?

    • Just wanted to state I do plan on getting a new EIN for both LLC’s. Just wondering if I can let my sole prop EIN sit off to side in case I need to show the income for past 2 years returns to lenders.

      • Hey Chris, you certainly can. There’s no need to cancel it at all. And I think it’s best to leave as-is in your case.

    • Hey Chris, thanks for the details. It’s very helpful. I hear you 100%. No need to cancel then. It’s not required. I just mentioned it since many people like to close the “open loop”. But there is really no need. Leave it in place for as long as you need. And good call on getting the LLC formed before closing ;)

  4. Hi Matt, thanks for all the helpful info you’ve shared. I have 2 questions related to EIN. Firstly, when I followed the steps of EIN application, they didn’t ask me if both members were husband and wife. Do you know why and can we add that info somewhere as we want to file joint tax return later on. Secondly, in the confirmation letter, they say that we “must file the form 1065 by 03/15/2019”. I understood that we should not do that as we have 2 members right?

    • Hi Louis, Nebraska is not a community property state, so unfortunately, your husband-and-wife LLC can’t register as a Qualified Joint Venture LLC with the IRS. A Qualified Joint Venture is treated like a Sole Proprietorship by the IRS for tax purposes. However, this has nothing to do with filing taxes jointly. You can still do that. Your LLC will also need to file a 1065 Partnership Return and issue K-1s to you and your wife. Hope that helps.

Leave a comment or question

Comments are temporarily disabled.